Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Emyson View Post
    Its good that you are constantly practicing and working on fundamentals. I not sure if this was said or not, try loosening your line work and getting comfortable with the pencil.

A good way to do that is 30 sec gesture drawings which I think was said.

Also just scribbling on paper is good, drawing circles lines and squares, trying to fill up the paper. I think getting comfortable with the medium is very important for art, and will help you go a long way. Anyways keep up the good work!
    thank you! i really need to do some gesture drawings. But do they have to be from life, or is it ok from a photo?

also more updates !

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    one more from loomis !

Thanks
    Hey Jerry, great sketchbook, you're really working hard!

And I totally get what you're saying about learning how to draw anatomy from imagination and becoming too dependant on just copying and studying from a reference. I've got this exact same problem too. It's like whenever I do a few studies of head, they turn out pretty okay, but when I try drawing some other heads from imagination - oh man do the turn out super bad. It's like the eyes are too big and the mouth's at some wierd placement.

Oh and I see you're working your way through Loomis' Successful Drawing book. That's really cool. I was wondering if you found your solution to the perspective problems you were having earlier, because I think the book covers those problems pretty well!

I'm sorry that I don't have any really good advice for improvement and stuff (I'm a beginner too, lol) but I think as long as you keep working hard, keep practicing and thinking carefully, with a little bit of patience, you're gonna to really see some great improvement soon! SHOW NO FEAR!

Thanks
    Hey jerry, studying anatomy is good for drawings people from the mind but you also need to know form and construction, placing objects in space! I highly recommend Kevin Chen. http://www.angelfire.com/art3/kchendemos/

have a good one!
    Yum!

me
    blog
    josh

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LongJh View Post
    Hey Jerry, great sketchbook, you're really working hard!

And I totally get what you're saying about learning how to draw anatomy from imagination and becoming too dependant on just copying and studying from a reference. I've got this exact same problem too. It's like whenever I do a few studies of head, they turn out pretty okay, but when I try drawing some other heads from imagination - oh man do the turn out super bad. It's like the eyes are too big and the mouth's at some wierd placement.

Oh and I see you're working your way through Loomis' Successful Drawing book. That's really cool. I was wondering if you found your solution to the perspective problems you were having earlier, because I think the book covers those problems pretty well!

I'm sorry that I don't have any really good advice for improvement and stuff (I'm a beginner too, lol) but I think as long as you keep working hard, keep practicing and thinking carefully, with a little bit of patience, you're gonna to really see some great improvement soon! SHOW NO FEAR!
    Thank you very much for the kind words I guess we will both learn as our journey continues. Maybe one day we will both be working together haha

Quote Originally Posted by rinnikirun View Post
    Hey jerry, studying anatomy is good for drawings people from the mind but you also need to know form and construction, placing objects in space! I highly recommend Kevin Chen. http://www.angelfire.com/art3/kchendemos/

have a good one!
    rinnikirun thank you for the link, this page if Fantastic ! i've just started another Loomis book and im learning about basic forms and drawing the little sphere heads. Ill post some of the work now. Thank you for taking the time to look at my SB

Thanks
    Not very exciting, but just more learning

Journey from absolute zero

Thanks
    what youre doing is good! you may feel discouraged at times, but youre on the right path, and the more studies you do and photo ref practice, the better youre gonna get! good luck, mate!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LePush View Post
    what youre doing is good! you may feel discouraged at times, but youre on the right path, and the more studies you do and photo ref practice, the better youre gonna get! good luck, mate!
    Thank you for the kind words i would really like to get great at drawing. I know what you mean about feeling discouraged, I sometimes feel like i will never understand how people can create such nice works. but I'm just having faith that i will learn !

Thanks
    You are doing very well! Great Sketchbook, I suggest that first you concentrate on the skull construction.
    Never ever forget the proportions ! ^^

Go ahead, you're doing well

Thanks
    yes... perspective!! If you want to be able to represent 3D form you must understand perspective rather well. Check out Scott robertson's basic perspective drawing DVD: http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/323/ and practice that stuff like hell, but don't ignore all that other great non perspective stuff! wire frames I found helped me quite a bit.

oh ya.. after you go through that DVD, check out his rendering ones!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gijex View Post
    You are doing very well! Great Sketchbook, I suggest that first you concentrate on the skull construction.
    Never ever forget the proportions ! ^^

Go ahead, you're doing well
    thank you so many bones and angles ! but im trying to learn them all haha

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrad View Post
    yes... perspective!! If you want to be able to represent 3D form you must understand perspective rather well. Check out Scott robertson's basic perspective drawing DVD: http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/323/ and practice that stuff like hell, but don't ignore all that other great non perspective stuff! wire frames I found helped me quite a bit.

oh ya.. after you go through that DVD, check out his rendering ones!
    yeah i agree ! i am getting through the loomis books, but i watched that matte surface dvd ! HUGE HUGE HUGE help, I didnt even understand how values worked , i still dont but i know allot more then nothing at all haha. I will be onto perspective after this loomis book Thank you for the comments though

Here is some practice with values, I never really understood how they worked but starting to understand the logic behind them there all a little off but ill study them more

Thanks
    And Some little cartoon Loomis heads, aswell as some painting practice

Thanks
    Thanks for commenting on my stuff. I'm seeing definate improvement in your values and anatomy, keep working hard!

Thanks
    Have lots of sketches to put in, but wil have to wait for me to scan them in, this is a face i started painting tonight from ref thanks for looking in

Thanks
    Sucking at rotating boxes in space Does everyone use this construction with boxes to draw? is it bad to not use it. I kind of feel more comfortable with gesture and drawing from that. Here are some more things i have been doing over the last few days

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast