Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 165
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emyson View Post
    Its good that you are constantly practicing and working on fundamentals. I not sure if this was said or not, try loosening your line work and getting comfortable with the pencil.

    A good way to do that is 30 sec gesture drawings which I think was said.

    Also just scribbling on paper is good, drawing circles lines and squares, trying to fill up the paper. I think getting comfortable with the medium is very important for art, and will help you go a long way. Anyways keep up the good work!
    thank you! i really need to do some gesture drawings. But do they have to be from life, or is it ok from a photo?

    also more updates !


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
    one more from loomis !

  4. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Hey Jerry, great sketchbook, you're really working hard!

    And I totally get what you're saying about learning how to draw anatomy from imagination and becoming too dependant on just copying and studying from a reference. I've got this exact same problem too. It's like whenever I do a few studies of head, they turn out pretty okay, but when I try drawing some other heads from imagination - oh man do the turn out super bad. It's like the eyes are too big and the mouth's at some wierd placement.

    Oh and I see you're working your way through Loomis' Successful Drawing book. That's really cool. I was wondering if you found your solution to the perspective problems you were having earlier, because I think the book covers those problems pretty well!

    I'm sorry that I don't have any really good advice for improvement and stuff (I'm a beginner too, lol) but I think as long as you keep working hard, keep practicing and thinking carefully, with a little bit of patience, you're gonna to really see some great improvement soon! SHOW NO FEAR!

  5. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East
    Posts
    196
    Thanks
    186
    Thanked 89 Times in 77 Posts
    Hey jerry, studying anatomy is good for drawings people from the mind but you also need to know form and construction, placing objects in space! I highly recommend Kevin Chen. http://www.angelfire.com/art3/kchendemos/

    have a good one!
    Yum!

    me
    blog
    josh

  6. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LongJh View Post
    Hey Jerry, great sketchbook, you're really working hard!

    And I totally get what you're saying about learning how to draw anatomy from imagination and becoming too dependant on just copying and studying from a reference. I've got this exact same problem too. It's like whenever I do a few studies of head, they turn out pretty okay, but when I try drawing some other heads from imagination - oh man do the turn out super bad. It's like the eyes are too big and the mouth's at some wierd placement.

    Oh and I see you're working your way through Loomis' Successful Drawing book. That's really cool. I was wondering if you found your solution to the perspective problems you were having earlier, because I think the book covers those problems pretty well!

    I'm sorry that I don't have any really good advice for improvement and stuff (I'm a beginner too, lol) but I think as long as you keep working hard, keep practicing and thinking carefully, with a little bit of patience, you're gonna to really see some great improvement soon! SHOW NO FEAR!
    Thank you very much for the kind words I guess we will both learn as our journey continues. Maybe one day we will both be working together haha

    Quote Originally Posted by rinnikirun View Post
    Hey jerry, studying anatomy is good for drawings people from the mind but you also need to know form and construction, placing objects in space! I highly recommend Kevin Chen. http://www.angelfire.com/art3/kchendemos/

    have a good one!
    rinnikirun thank you for the link, this page if Fantastic ! i've just started another Loomis book and im learning about basic forms and drawing the little sphere heads. Ill post some of the work now. Thank you for taking the time to look at my SB

  7. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
    Not very exciting, but just more learning

    Journey from absolute zero

    Journey from absolute zero

    Journey from absolute zero

    Journey from absolute zero

    Journey from absolute zero

    Journey from absolute zero

  8. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    255
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 93 Times in 63 Posts
    what youre doing is good! you may feel discouraged at times, but youre on the right path, and the more studies you do and photo ref practice, the better youre gonna get! good luck, mate!

  9. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LePush View Post
    what youre doing is good! you may feel discouraged at times, but youre on the right path, and the more studies you do and photo ref practice, the better youre gonna get! good luck, mate!
    Thank you for the kind words i would really like to get great at drawing. I know what you mean about feeling discouraged, I sometimes feel like i will never understand how people can create such nice works. but I'm just having faith that i will learn !

  10. #54
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Perú
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    You are doing very well! Great Sketchbook, I suggest that first you concentrate on the skull construction.
    Never ever forget the proportions ! ^^

    Go ahead, you're doing well

  11. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver B.C.
    Posts
    286
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 48 Times in 48 Posts
    yes... perspective!! If you want to be able to represent 3D form you must understand perspective rather well. Check out Scott robertson's basic perspective drawing DVD: http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/323/ and practice that stuff like hell, but don't ignore all that other great non perspective stuff! wire frames I found helped me quite a bit.

    oh ya.. after you go through that DVD, check out his rendering ones!

  12. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gijex View Post
    You are doing very well! Great Sketchbook, I suggest that first you concentrate on the skull construction.
    Never ever forget the proportions ! ^^

    Go ahead, you're doing well
    thank you so many bones and angles ! but im trying to learn them all haha

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrad View Post
    yes... perspective!! If you want to be able to represent 3D form you must understand perspective rather well. Check out Scott robertson's basic perspective drawing DVD: http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/323/ and practice that stuff like hell, but don't ignore all that other great non perspective stuff! wire frames I found helped me quite a bit.

    oh ya.. after you go through that DVD, check out his rendering ones!
    yeah i agree ! i am getting through the loomis books, but i watched that matte surface dvd ! HUGE HUGE HUGE help, I didnt even understand how values worked , i still dont but i know allot more then nothing at all haha. I will be onto perspective after this loomis book Thank you for the comments though


    Here is some practice with values, I never really understood how they worked but starting to understand the logic behind them there all a little off but ill study them more

    Journey from absolute zero

    Journey from absolute zero

    Journey from absolute zero

    Journey from absolute zero

  13. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
    And Some little cartoon Loomis heads, aswell as some painting practice

    Journey from absolute zero

    Journey from absolute zero

  14. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    240
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
    Thanks for commenting on my stuff. I'm seeing definate improvement in your values and anatomy, keep working hard!

  15. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
    Have lots of sketches to put in, but wil have to wait for me to scan them in, this is a face i started painting tonight from ref thanks for looking in

  16. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
    Sucking at rotating boxes in space Does everyone use this construction with boxes to draw? is it bad to not use it. I kind of feel more comfortable with gesture and drawing from that. Here are some more things i have been doing over the last few days

    Journey from absolute zero
    Journey from absolute zero
    Journey from absolute zero
    Journey from absolute zero
    Journey from absolute zero

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SketchBook: And the journey begins...
    By Inflicts in forum Sketchbooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 24th, 2010, 12:51 PM
  2. SketchBook: The Journey Begins
    By Choob in forum Sketchbooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 11th, 2009, 03:06 PM
  3. A journey begins
    By Sepulverture in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 1st, 2008, 03:55 PM
  4. SketchBook: My Journey Begins..
    By Taiylz in forum Sketchbooks
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: February 3rd, 2007, 03:47 PM
  5. Art: The Journey Begins
    By Tyranx in forum Finished Art
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: May 27th, 2006, 06:33 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Developed Actively by the makers of the Best Amazon Podcast