Sketchbook: Journey from absolute zero - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryActric View Post
    also i had a question if anyone can shed some light. I want to learn to draw all this anatomy from my mind. I get worried about drawing heads from photos that im training myself to draw what im seeing vs what i actually know. id like to be able to draw heads and figures from all my knowledge. Is it a bad idea to draw from images as i tend to copy the darker areas and the highlights from the image itself. Im not sure if im actually understanding why its darker or lighter. My second question is as long as im drawing, I should improve over time? im worried that I wont get better, or that i will practice my drawing wrong and then not develop my drawing ability. I often get a little flustered or worried with it all and was wondering if anyone else had similar issues !
    Hi Jerry.

Good question, indeed if all you do is work from photo refs and never practice in drawing and painting from memory you could become a ''slave'' to the refrence.

To understand why certain areas are lighter or darker in values and whatnot, a good place to start would be the structure and anatomy of the head ( as your already doing) With focus on proportions.
    Once you have a better understanding of the planes and basic skull
    you'll start seeing where things peak or depress, overlapping forms ect.

second question: You can never get worse , only better!
    how fast you improve depends on how often you apply these studies to your personal work.

I hope that made sense.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lumens For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Lizardman View Post
    Your perspective studies look nice, but yeah, you need to work on your figure and anatomy now. Especially the faces.
    thank you i still feel very unsure about perspective haha ! alot to learn but i must agree that i need to understand anatomy alot more ! Its quite enjoyable learning it all! just alot to to learn !

Quote Originally Posted by Lumens View Post
    Hi Jerry.

Good question, indeed if all you do is work from photo refs and never practice in drawing and painting from memory you could become a ''slave'' to the refrence.

To understand why certain areas are lighter or darker in values and whatnot, a good place to start would be the structure and anatomy of the head ( as your already doing) With focus on proportions.
    Once you have a better understanding of the planes and basic skull
    you'll start seeing where things peak or depress, overlapping forms ect.

second question: You can never get worse , only better!
    how fast you improve depends on how often you apply these studies to your personal work.

I hope that made sense.
    hey Lumens !
    thanks heaps for the advice , Its good to know that i cant damage my drawing in any way haha, but ill keep working on my anatomy and learning it all very accurately ! drawing the form would be alot easier if we where all born with a perfect cube for a head ! Not this overlapping egg cone structure haha

Thank you again for your help guys !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jerry,

Recently I feel I progressed a bit with faces and human figure (well, really a bit, but that's better than nothing ^^) because of two things, maybe it can help you too (sorry for my bad english, I hope I will be understandable) :

- drawing (and rendering) spheres, cylinders and cubes. Not just one or two of them, but a bunch with different lightning (front, 45°, rim light, back light, light from above, rim-light + 45°, etc...). It seems boring, but it's in fact quite fun and rewarding when you beguin to really see your object becoming a form instead of a simple shape. The benefits of this for the moment for me (at least the benefits I'm conscious of) is that of course it learns how the light works and how to render it, but also now when I draw just a circle I can feel it's a sphere if I want it to be one (don't know if it's really clear ).

- I knew that a face or a body is basically a combination of cubes cylinders and spheres... I knew it... really... But I didn't realize it ! Really, they are combination of those. So I beguan to draw combination of simple forms : sphere+long cube (oh, a man's arm !), sphere/egg shape+cylinder (oh, a head !), cylinder+cube (oh, a head and ribcage !), sphere+cylinder+cube, etc, etc... And with a bit of anatomy, you really see those forms and because you render so much of these, you can render an arm, a leg, a noze or whatever...

Well, it dosn't mean it will be perfect (oh non), but really it helped me a lot, I hope it can help you too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Theotenai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Theotenai View Post
    Hi Jerry,

Recently I feel I progressed a bit with faces and human figure (well, really a bit, but that's better than nothing ^^) because of two things, maybe it can help you too (sorry for my bad english, I hope I will be understandable) :

- drawing (and rendering) spheres, cylinders and cubes. Not just one or two of them, but a bunch with different lightning (front, 45°, rim light, back light, light from above, rim-light + 45°, etc...). It seems boring, but it's in fact quite fun and rewarding when you beguin to really see your object becoming a form instead of a simple shape. The benefits of this for the moment for me (at least the benefits I'm conscious of) is that of course it learns how the light works and how to render it, but also now when I draw just a circle I can feel it's a sphere if I want it to be one (don't know if it's really clear ).

- I knew that a face or a body is basically a combination of cubes cylinders and spheres... I knew it... really... But I didn't realize it ! Really, they are combination of those. So I beguan to draw combination of simple forms : sphere+long cube (oh, a man's arm !), sphere/egg shape+cylinder (oh, a head !), cylinder+cube (oh, a head and ribcage !), sphere+cylinder+cube, etc, etc... And with a bit of anatomy, you really see those forms and because you render so much of these, you can render an arm, a leg, a noze or whatever...

Well, it dosn't mean it will be perfect (oh non), but really it helped me a lot, I hope it can help you too.

hey there ! i must say thats a really good idea, the idea of anatomy being basic shapes is very helpful for learning, but then being able to create these myself is something i never thought too much about. I will do some lighting and rendering studies and post them up ! thank you for the idea. Hopefully i can do it all properly haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep on going like this, do your studies and you'll improve in no time!
    Let's get back to drawing !!!

Waves and Water
    SKetchbook & blog
    excuse my english yo!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wavenwater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavenwater View Post
    Keep on going like this, do your studies and you'll improve in no time!
    Let's get back to drawing !!!
    thank you ! hopefully i understand the anatomy eventually

Here are some more juicy juicy studies ! learning all the muscles of the face ! although the face still looks very different with the skin over the muscles haha dam

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jerry, cheers for stopping by my sketchbook!

You're definitely on the right track, keep working you're way through the Loomis books and work from life too, I'd honestly say do as much as you can from life. A life drawing class can really help if you can get in one for learning anatomy. Another good idea is to carry a small sketchbook with you and draw your surroundings while you wait for the bus or something.

I'd also recommend (if you're not already) keeping your paper at an angle while drawing, like propping it on a board. This can stop any funny warps happening on your pictures.

I hope some of this helps! Keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kode View Post
    Hey Jerry, cheers for stopping by my sketchbook!

You're definitely on the right track, keep working you're way through the Loomis books and work from life too, I'd honestly say do as much as you can from life. A life drawing class can really help if you can get in one for learning anatomy. Another good idea is to carry a small sketchbook with you and draw your surroundings while you wait for the bus or something.

I'd also recommend (if you're not already) keeping your paper at an angle while drawing, like propping it on a board. This can stop any funny warps happening on your pictures.

I hope some of this helps! Keep at it!
    thanks for returning to mine ! its alot to learn at first isnt it. I actually get abit sad sometimes when i cant draw as well as i wish !

However a quick painting ive done tonight. Theres one part of anatomy i just CANNOT grasp. The way that the eye socket moulds into the brow. I cant work out how the lighting will land on it, or the actually shape. I spent forever looking in a mirror, looking at the planes. but i cant work it out for some reason. Is it just me or is the side of the eye up to the brow a tricky subject !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another study of a profile head. Spent quite alot of time over today trying to learn the side of the head

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have been doing alot more studies ! but i also did this little illustration for part of a uni assignment. Basically its a chicken sun baking. its based around a basting brush and making the chicken brown from basting it haha!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to learn some more fundamental drawing. Seems the more i learned the more i realized i didn't know. So just been following some exercises. Also some more hand studies. Placing the thumb will be the death of me !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey again guys ! havent updated in a while but have been drawing alot !. Loomis successful drawing has opened my mind to drawing ! i really recommend people to at least have a look if they are learning. I also love advice and direction if anyone has the time

Thanks for looking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you haven't checked out Bridgmans books, I would recommend them. They are inexpensive and very helpfull in visualizing the forms muscles and bones and whatnot. It might help you out with your ocular cavity problem.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Metallurgist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallurgist View Post
    If you haven't checked out Bridgmans books, I would recommend them. They are inexpensive and very helpfull in visualizing the forms muscles and bones and whatnot. It might help you out with your ocular cavity problem.
    Thank you for that, Ill make sure to have a read

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its good that you are constantly practicing and working on fundamentals. I not sure if this was said or not, try loosening your line work and getting comfortable with the pencil.

A good way to do that is 30 sec gesture drawings which I think was said.

Also just scribbling on paper is good, drawing circles lines and squares, trying to fill up the paper. I think getting comfortable with the medium is very important for art, and will help you go a long way. Anyways keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Emyson View Post
    Its good that you are constantly practicing and working on fundamentals. I not sure if this was said or not, try loosening your line work and getting comfortable with the pencil.

A good way to do that is 30 sec gesture drawings which I think was said.

Also just scribbling on paper is good, drawing circles lines and squares, trying to fill up the paper. I think getting comfortable with the medium is very important for art, and will help you go a long way. Anyways keep up the good work!
    thank you! i really need to do some gesture drawings. But do they have to be from life, or is it ok from a photo?

also more updates !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    one more from loomis !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jerry, great sketchbook, you're really working hard!

And I totally get what you're saying about learning how to draw anatomy from imagination and becoming too dependant on just copying and studying from a reference. I've got this exact same problem too. It's like whenever I do a few studies of head, they turn out pretty okay, but when I try drawing some other heads from imagination - oh man do the turn out super bad. It's like the eyes are too big and the mouth's at some wierd placement.

Oh and I see you're working your way through Loomis' Successful Drawing book. That's really cool. I was wondering if you found your solution to the perspective problems you were having earlier, because I think the book covers those problems pretty well!

I'm sorry that I don't have any really good advice for improvement and stuff (I'm a beginner too, lol) but I think as long as you keep working hard, keep practicing and thinking carefully, with a little bit of patience, you're gonna to really see some great improvement soon! SHOW NO FEAR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey jerry, studying anatomy is good for drawings people from the mind but you also need to know form and construction, placing objects in space! I highly recommend Kevin Chen. http://www.angelfire.com/art3/kchendemos/

have a good one!

Yum!

me
    blog
    josh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LongJh View Post
    Hey Jerry, great sketchbook, you're really working hard!

And I totally get what you're saying about learning how to draw anatomy from imagination and becoming too dependant on just copying and studying from a reference. I've got this exact same problem too. It's like whenever I do a few studies of head, they turn out pretty okay, but when I try drawing some other heads from imagination - oh man do the turn out super bad. It's like the eyes are too big and the mouth's at some wierd placement.

Oh and I see you're working your way through Loomis' Successful Drawing book. That's really cool. I was wondering if you found your solution to the perspective problems you were having earlier, because I think the book covers those problems pretty well!

I'm sorry that I don't have any really good advice for improvement and stuff (I'm a beginner too, lol) but I think as long as you keep working hard, keep practicing and thinking carefully, with a little bit of patience, you're gonna to really see some great improvement soon! SHOW NO FEAR!
    Thank you very much for the kind words I guess we will both learn as our journey continues. Maybe one day we will both be working together haha

Quote Originally Posted by rinnikirun View Post
    Hey jerry, studying anatomy is good for drawings people from the mind but you also need to know form and construction, placing objects in space! I highly recommend Kevin Chen. http://www.angelfire.com/art3/kchendemos/

have a good one!
    rinnikirun thank you for the link, this page if Fantastic ! i've just started another Loomis book and im learning about basic forms and drawing the little sphere heads. Ill post some of the work now. Thank you for taking the time to look at my SB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not very exciting, but just more learning

Journey from absolute zero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what youre doing is good! you may feel discouraged at times, but youre on the right path, and the more studies you do and photo ref practice, the better youre gonna get! good luck, mate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LePush View Post
    what youre doing is good! you may feel discouraged at times, but youre on the right path, and the more studies you do and photo ref practice, the better youre gonna get! good luck, mate!
    Thank you for the kind words i would really like to get great at drawing. I know what you mean about feeling discouraged, I sometimes feel like i will never understand how people can create such nice works. but I'm just having faith that i will learn !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are doing very well! Great Sketchbook, I suggest that first you concentrate on the skull construction.
    Never ever forget the proportions ! ^^

Go ahead, you're doing well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes... perspective!! If you want to be able to represent 3D form you must understand perspective rather well. Check out Scott robertson's basic perspective drawing DVD: http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/323/ and practice that stuff like hell, but don't ignore all that other great non perspective stuff! wire frames I found helped me quite a bit.

oh ya.. after you go through that DVD, check out his rendering ones!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gijex View Post
    You are doing very well! Great Sketchbook, I suggest that first you concentrate on the skull construction.
    Never ever forget the proportions ! ^^

Go ahead, you're doing well
    thank you so many bones and angles ! but im trying to learn them all haha

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrad View Post
    yes... perspective!! If you want to be able to represent 3D form you must understand perspective rather well. Check out Scott robertson's basic perspective drawing DVD: http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/323/ and practice that stuff like hell, but don't ignore all that other great non perspective stuff! wire frames I found helped me quite a bit.

oh ya.. after you go through that DVD, check out his rendering ones!
    yeah i agree ! i am getting through the loomis books, but i watched that matte surface dvd ! HUGE HUGE HUGE help, I didnt even understand how values worked , i still dont but i know allot more then nothing at all haha. I will be onto perspective after this loomis book Thank you for the comments though

Here is some practice with values, I never really understood how they worked but starting to understand the logic behind them there all a little off but ill study them more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And Some little cartoon Loomis heads, aswell as some painting practice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for commenting on my stuff. I'm seeing definate improvement in your values and anatomy, keep working hard!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have lots of sketches to put in, but wil have to wait for me to scan them in, this is a face i started painting tonight from ref thanks for looking in

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sucking at rotating boxes in space Does everyone use this construction with boxes to draw? is it bad to not use it. I kind of feel more comfortable with gesture and drawing from that. Here are some more things i have been doing over the last few days

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1