Sketchbook: Journey from absolute zero

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Journey from absolute zero

Hey Everyone, as you can see Im starting to learn to draw. Teaching myself and just going to push and try update daily. I want to make this sketchbook to see if i am working hard enough and to see if i progress from my beginning ! Onward with the long Journey !

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JerryActric; July 3rd, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been having a hard time understanding the curves and angles of the face, So i figured it would be wise to learn the bone structure of the face in order to understand the exterior ! some basic loomis skull studies !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA! Nice start. looks like your diving into loomis for heads which is good. Understand the ball and cross before diving into the construction part. It will help a ton. Practice drawing the ball and cross at many angles. This link might be useful. Good luck

Yum!

me
    blog
    josh

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rinnikirun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ven- View Post
    Welcome to CA! Nice start. looks like your diving into loomis for heads which is good. Understand the ball and cross before diving into the construction part. It will help a ton. Practice drawing the ball and cross at many angles. This link might be useful. Good luck
    Thank you for the welcome ! I had a quick glance over that link, It looks very handy and i will have an in depth look at it later tonight once i have completed my Uni Assignments. I have been reading Loomis and Burne's books but have also developed a strange habit of studying peoples faces whenever i engage in conversation with them! Hopefully i can post some more sketches tonight. Thank you for the help ! its strange to think that once we learn a little bit about art, we realize how much we do not know !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i took a step back again to learn angles and structure a little better ! Im having an issue with determining the size of the cut of circle on the side of the head. as well as drawing the head from harsh angles !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm, first impression looking at last head

where the f... is perspective?? i know you want to learn as quickly as possible but if you don't learn the basics you will run into bad habits that will be hard to get rid off

don't draw sth from 'harsh angle' when you have problems to set good proportions in front view and so on

i'm also not a big fan of Loomis
    i'd rather recommend you Hampton
    you can also try Bringdam or Hoghart they represent different way of drawing

this thread can help you

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72362

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to takashmen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by takashmen View Post
    hmm, first impression looking at last head

where the f... is perspective?? i know you want to learn as quickly as possible but if you don't learn the basics you will run into bad habits that will be hard to get rid off

don't draw sth from 'harsh angle' when you have problems to set good proportions in front view and so on

i'm also not a big fan of Loomis
    i'd rather recommend you Hampton
    you can also try Bringdam or Hoghart they represent different way of drawing

this thread can help you

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72362

Thank you for the advice ! i actually have Hogarth's Dynamic anatomy! Do you think it would be smarter to let go of anatomy for the present and start to get a better understanding of perspective?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i can only say that building anatomic forms is grounded by understanding of perspective and usage of simple forms

i can;t really say what's better for you, look through other threads and decide

12. The Following User Says Thank You to takashmen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome here !
    I'm also beginner so I can't be very helpfull but at least I can encourage you, so keep going and keep posting

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Theotenai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by takashmen View Post
    i can only say that building anatomic forms is grounded by understanding of perspective and usage of simple forms

i can;t really say what's better for you, look through other threads and decide

I tend to think i should start to learn perspective better! thank you for the advice though ! i'm trying to teach myself all of this in my spare time outside of uni so anything is helpful !

Quote Originally Posted by Theotenai View Post
    Welcome here !
    I'm also beginner so I can't be very helpfull but at least I can encourage you, so keep going and keep posting
    Thank you ! i actually had a flick through your sketch book ! there's some nice stuff ! it will be interesting to watch us both Progress over time ! good luck and keep on drawing !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    actually picked up quite a bit with all these simple perspective studies ! its interesting the idea of creating everything in an artificial space and this giving you a realistic image, versus drawing what you think it would look like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just trying to understand the form of the nose ! Hogarth nose how to teach me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think these are some great studies, and i can already see improvement
    I only started drawing about half a year ago, and something that i thought helped me alot, was to do quick gesture drawings.
    Doing these gesture drawings helped me get much more confident with my strokes and also made me able to "see" better, so that i made less and less flaws.
    And now i find it's easier to do my anatomy studies, because i don't have to erase all the time

I usually use 30-90 secs for each drawing.

I dont know if you want to try it out, but here i have a link to a good website:http://www.lovecastle.org/draw/

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TheAristaeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryActric View Post
    it will be interesting to watch us both Progress over time !
    Sure thing !

I have to beguin a bit of perspective too. Good luck with the nose I still have problems with them... You can look at those noses :
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=236324
    they are really wonderfull and educative !

And as TheAristaeus says, gesture drawing is really helpfull (really intimadated also at first, but just go for it without questioning yourself). Other good websites for it :
    http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php
    http://artsyposes.com/
    http://www.posemaniacs.com/

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Theotenai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should definitely take a look at those sites TheAristaeus and Theotenai linked to and do some gesture drawing. They will help you out in the long run and loosen up your drawings. Also try to draw from life as often as possible because it is the best way to improve =]

Anyway great start and I can't wait to see more!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber Marie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAristaeus View Post
    I think these are some great studies, and i can already see improvement
    I only started drawing about half a year ago, and something that i thought helped me alot, was to do quick gesture drawings.
    Doing these gesture drawings helped me get much more confident with my strokes and also made me able to "see" better, so that i made less and less flaws.
    And now i find it's easier to do my anatomy studies, because i don't have to erase all the time

I usually use 30-90 secs for each drawing.

I dont know if you want to try it out, but here i have a link to a good website:http://www.lovecastle.org/draw/

This is an excellent link thank you so much !! I actually started to some of the gesture drawings and at first i was very nervous, but as i drew on i started to get more comfortable and was able to do smoother more understandable lines !

Quote Originally Posted by Theotenai View Post
    Sure thing !

I have to beguin a bit of perspective too. Good luck with the nose I still have problems with them... You can look at those noses :
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=236324
    they are really wonderfull and educative !

And as TheAristaeus says, gesture drawing is really helpfull (really intimadated also at first, but just go for it without questioning yourself). Other good websites for it :
    http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php
    http://artsyposes.com/
    http://www.posemaniacs.com/
    awesome anatomy studies ! thank you heaps ! i actually have had some troouble with the Hogarth noses and these are much clearer ! perspective is a fun little speed bump.. Speed mountain * !

Quote Originally Posted by bowiepunk15 View Post
    You should definitely take a look at those sites TheAristaeus and Theotenai linked to and do some gesture drawing. They will help you out in the long run and loosen up your drawings. Also try to draw from life as often as possible because it is the best way to improve =]

Anyway great start and I can't wait to see more!
    i actually decided tonight just to realx from all this technical drawing and just draw something ! and i'm happy with the results !!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start; I think you're approaching this exactly the right way. Keep grinding on the studies and learning the geometry of things.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jcpahl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've bee reading quite alot of perspective. Still there are alot of things that confuse me. I know they will blatantly obvious to anyone that knows perspective, but teaching myself i have no one to really ask except for the CA forums !

JERRY ISSUE #1

So once ive rotated a head into 3rd angle, I cant workout the division of the eyes, The placement of them has me very confused. I also have an issue working out how far the nose projects from the face, and how much of the cheek bone is visible. Then when it comes to the mouth i am unsure of how to wrap the mouth around rather then drawing on a flat plane

JERRY ISSUE #2

Now my second issue is when drawing in perspective. I understand that all parallel lines must lead back to a vanishing point. However sometimes in drawings there seem to be diagonals that don't lead to any of the points. Can anyone explain how these work

Its very frustrating not being able to understand what im looking at. For some reason even when i look at a nose and study someones nose from all angles i still have difficulty understanding its form. same as lighting around the temple area. Im not sure if anyone else has this difficulty or if its all in me head ! but just staying confident that eventually i will learn !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jcpahl View Post
    Good start; I think you're approaching this exactly the right way. Keep grinding on the studies and learning the geometry of things.
    thank you ! please tell me you found it all alot to take on at first haha. im finding it hard to draw the anatomy in perspective ! but i look at you work and i love it ! i hope to get to your level eventually !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another head i've done today, Drawn from a photo! im getting happier with results.. except the drawing was of a nerdy looking white guy. my drawing looks like a western cowboy black guy !! doh!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As others have eluded to, gestures can pay dividends in improving your eye and loosening you up so you don't over-render. Gestures should be a fairly regular part of your routine (if they're not already) and will provide a good foundation to build on. That alone should help improve your proportions and eye for shapes and perspective.

Seems you're putting in a lot of work which is huge. Keep it up and you'll see huge improvement in no time.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Juniversal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniversal View Post
    As others have eluded to, gestures can pay dividends in improving your eye and loosening you up so you don't over-render. Gestures should be a fairly regular part of your routine (if they're not already) and will provide a good foundation to build on. That alone should help improve your proportions and eye for shapes and perspective.

Seems you're putting in a lot of work which is huge. Keep it up and you'll see huge improvement in no time.
    Its interesting you should mention that, I noticed that with sketches when i loosened up and just drew, vs trying to make everything super precise and following guides i was generally happier with the drawing ! and i see what you mean with the over rendering haha ! thank you for the kind words and advice !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i know my SB is about as interesting as a dead fish, but it ensures that i keep working on my drawing everyday by uploading my little studies !
    so here is a skull i tried to do coming just above horizon line! unfortunately the jaw line proved difficult as it come to the ground plane !

As i've mentioned earlier i also have a lot of trouble understanding the planes of the head. So i stepped back to the blockier Hogarth head to try and better my understanding. !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moreeeee headsssss

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    also i had a question if anyone can shed some light. I want to learn to draw all this anatomy from my mind. I get worried about drawing heads from photos that im training myself to draw what im seeing vs what i actually know. id like to be able to draw heads and figures from all my knowledge. Is it a bad idea to draw from images as i tend to copy the darker areas and the highlights from the image itself. Im not sure if im actually understanding why its darker or lighter. My second question is as long as im drawing, I should improve over time? im worried that I wont get better, or that i will practice my drawing wrong and then not develop my drawing ability. I often get a little flustered or worried with it all and was wondering if anyone else had similar issues !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally worked out a method that works for me ! drawing my own wire frames out ! finally seeing a little bit of improvement !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there, as i see so many nice studies, i wnt to give you some useful links that might help you with your work: http://www.posemaniacs.com/ - great for gestures!
    http://www.posemaniacs.com/tools/handviewer/ -> this tool is especially amazing for studying perspectives. there's also a 3d model of a head available which you can turn around in any direction you want! Same with male torso and hands.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Lux_Aeterna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lux thank you so much ! that model viewer link is perfect !! ive been having alot of trouble understanding how the surface of the face varies and this Helps alot. Im excited to keep drawing and improving ! its become an obsession to improve my craft now thank your for dropping by

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    decided to try a quick speed paint !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your perspective studies look nice, but yeah, you need to work on your figure and anatomy now. Especially the faces.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Demon Lizardman For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1