Mage and warrior - finished for now

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello,

I've been doing a bit more posing and anatomy studies lately. My biggest problem have always been the stiff and lifeless poses of my characters. I've gotten some really nice help at these forums and I've tried to remember then.

This is my latest piece. Some of you might remember an old work of mine I posted here. I wasn't really satisfied with it and never finished it. Now I'm trying to revamp the same scene with totally new start.

Here's really rough sketch of the poses. I tried to find some references. I especially tried to add some twist and roundness to the poses and exaggarate the movement.

Tell me how it works(or does not work)!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Pate5; June 13th, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi matey

I would honestly say that you need to root out some more references for these and practice, you seem to have got an idea what they should look like in your mind and then drawn it.
    However the gesture is missing! and by that I mean the weight shift in the whole body is not there, what you have is a pose and not an action. Do you have anyone in your family that is wiling to take your picture while you act this out? because thats what you need to get these right, you need to feel the way your body shifts and moves while you do this. Yes you will feel like an idiot but you will get the insight you need to do it.
    I would even suggest you do some research on the line of action in a cartoon, this is an exaggeration of movement but it might start you thinking it through a bit more.

As for the swordsman with his legs crossed all I can say is "NO" that does not work at all, I cannot imagine what sort of failure he was having when that happened to him but sort him out unless the comedy element is what you are looking for.

I would point out at this stage that this is only myopinion and you can ignore it, either way all the best with your work.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You may want to check this tutorial out, it helped me a lot with dynamic poses:
    http://babelab.blogspot.com/2012/02/...638915cf82&m=1

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to look For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. I actually used this ref for the warrior's pose. I think the leg crossing went too far. I didn't remember to mirror the image when drawing and now it's way easier to see the mistakes. I think a thing that makes large bit of the stiffness is the shoulders. I tend to keep the shoulders straight when they should be in different poses.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,435 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Before you plot the figures and the poses, you should have something for them to stand on. Without a basic perspective of the environment in place, you're setting yourself up for major redrawing of the figures later on, when you discover they don't match the background or each other.

While you are at it, plan the framing and composition of the piece. Without anything else in the picture, your two figures are rather forlorn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to take the warrior figure from my old work because I find it okay. I tried to pose a bit in front of my mirror and here's my result.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a while from my last update. Here's the final(?) sketch for the mage.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right now the pose is weird with the mages left arm not visible at all. It looks like she has one arm and the staff is sticking through her head.

Minimal art went nowhere. - Sol LeWitt

DA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update:

I'd love to hear something about it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am not so good at poses myself, but I figure it might help to have a full body mirror and to make multiple wireframe sketches before starting to render.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The mage's face reads very oddly- it looks like she's screaming in agony rather than a battlecry (which I assume was the desired effect).
    Also I'd move the mage further back, as she looks smaller than the warrior and that'd fix it without having to resize her

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kayos Avian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude,

You have some good advice in here! There is no reason to attempt this without good reference. The pros wouldn't do it without ref, unless they're doing a speedpaint I guess.

Get a camera with a timer and do the poses. Truly, you will see it makes all the difference. Because I love what Lightship said about this--you still have poses, not actions.

And be careful choosing reference from deviantArt. That's one of my fav places to find ref too, but choose it carefully. Find convincing ref, not just any ref. That guy doesn't know what he's doing with that sword or how to stand. Even if you get a broom, I bet you can pose more convincingly than that guy is.

And I also love what Look posted. Those lines of action is EXACTLY what you need to be learning. See if you can find more tutorials and resources for that stuff--maybe some for a man fighting.

This is my advice: hold off on this illustration--you're biting off too much. Practice your gestures, one after another. You don't even need to spend more than 60 seconds on each one. Find the lines of action, and flesh out their poses. try these :

http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php
    http://www.lovecastle.org/draw/

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello guys.

I love that you really want to help me get better. I know posing humans and feeling the action needs just more, more and more practice. I admit that I've done very little of that. Of course I should do it more but well, I find it really boring. Don't think I just put your comments down and continue without noticing, but I've redone the poses in this work so many times that I don't even remember. I don't think I would get really much better in a short time but I'd need weeks and months to practice. I'm sure taking a little break and studying a lot would make the result much better. I still want to get some works done. If I will be later to pick out the mistakes on my old works, that's even better.

I will definitely look into the action lines and quick gestures. I just want to continue doing this and turn it into a finished work.

I hope you still feel up to giving some more comments. I've now finished the basic layout of the picture and laid down the base colors.

Edit: I would really like using reference pictures but I can almost never find good ones. Of course there's a lot of nice refs but none of them seem to fit in my works. Sometimes I take a look at some poses but when they are from different angle and different pose, I have to edit them so much that I lose the original pose somewhere. Here's the ref I used for the warrior:
    http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/..._470x321,0.jpg

Edit2: I would be glad to hear some commments about the composition. Are the colors okay? How are the elements placed? Does the lighting feel working? Are the values overall too dark?

Last edited by Pate5; May 11th, 2012 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I moved a bit forward with the rendering.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Watch those rim lights, they're flattening your forms especially on the man's backside. There shouldn't be one there.

I'm also missing impact, or action-reaction. The woman missed the spider with her staff and it's likely going to kill her, and the guy is going to be killed before he manages to swing that sword around. Spiders can be pretty fast y'know.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the anatomy is off a lot.. you should find some reference for your poses... :s

♦♦♦ SKETCHBOOK ♦♦♦
    DEVIANTARTSKETCHBLOGTWITTER

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Natalia Soleil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes finding reference for exact poses and angles is usually impossible. You will need to get a camera with a timer and do it yourself. There is simply no other way. You can find some decent costume at halloween shops online, and thrift stores. But u dont NEED the costume...but u do need to take ref shots of yourself.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello guys. I find this piece still WIP so I decided to just finish it. It has still some flaws but I like the final result pretty much.

I love how you have helped me and pushed me to do also some practice. I'll be uploading a bunch of my later work and I would like if you took a look at them. Feel free to give critique to this work too. I propably won't be doing big chances but it's always helpful to get some pointers.

Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.