Things people need to stop doing - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Things people need to stop doing

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you can keep your "likeable" attributes at less than 20 you get to survive until the next season.

But yeah, then you die horribly.

Oh George...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Bicyclists can have the road all they want, but if they're going to use the road, why can't they follow traffic rules? Like, y'know, stopping for red lights and not zooming the wrong way down one way streets and generally not running over pedestrians... I don't know how many bikes have nearly hit me while I'm crossing the street. One DID slam into me once, but I was carrying a giant portfolio, so it was the portfolio that got injured...
    They are supposed to follow traffic rules. They are treated like motor vehicles, just a bit less dangerous.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    They are supposed to follow traffic rules.
    THEN WHY DON'T THEY. D:< I swear I have never seen a bike actually stop for a red light...

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    THEN WHY DON'T THEY. D:< I swear I have never seen a bike actually stop for a red light...
    Because, where you are (Manhattan), a lot of then are bike messengers who get paid per run. A bike can get through Manhattan traffic quicker than anything else, especially if you're, shall we say, creative with spacial relations and traffic regulations.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't speak for anyone else that rides a bike, but the only time I would go through a red light is if it's completely safe to do so. I have a huge increase in visibility compared to when I am driving a car, and I am not much bigger than a pedestrian. Basically, If it would be safe to J walk then I might do it. After I have stopped to check of course.

Probably 90% of the time I end up waiting at lights because it's the only safe thing to do.

I think this is a somewhat better system: http://bicycling.com/blogs/roadright...sign-solution/

Treating bikes and cars with the same laws is a terrible idea. Bikes have more in common with joggers than they do cars. The problem is usually because of the lack of infrastructure set up for bikes.
    If bikes share sidewalks with pedestrians, the pedestrians have a risk of being hit. If bikes share roads with cars, the cyclists have a risk of being killed by giant metal boxes on wheels.
    Until separate avenues are in place for bikes(like in parts of Europe) the problem will just continue.

Almost every day I hear people who drive only cars complain about and/or abuse(throwing stuff out windows, honking/yelling, swerving,) people on bikes for just existing(extra true for females on bikes).
    It just gets tiring hearing it all the time especially considering the people in the cars would obviously not be the ones with the high chance of injury/death if there was an accident.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Misplacedhippos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm avoiding watching Game of Thrones in order to keep the books clearer in my mind. At least until the books are finished.

Who thinks the books will actually be finished, before the TV show catches up with it? That's what I would like to know...

Last edited by Misplacedhippos; April 6th, 2012 at 12:41 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Misplacedhippos View Post
    Until separate avenues are in place for bikes(like in parts of Europe) the problem will just continue..
    They actually added something like that to one avenue near my 'hood. Basically it's an extra-wide bike lane, painted green so it's obvious to pedestrians (so you know to watch for bikes,) and with a line of parked cars between the bike lane and the car lanes, to separate bikes from cars. There's even areas between the bike lane and the car lanes where pedestrians can wait to cross the road without getting hit by various things on wheels, and without having to dodge bikes while scurrying across before the light changes.

It seems to work pretty well. Now if only they'd do that on more streets...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Treating bikes and cars with the same laws is a terrible idea. Bikes have more in common with joggers than they do cars. The problem is usually because of the lack of infrastructure set up for bikes.
    If bikes share sidewalks with pedestrians, the pedestrians have a risk of being hit. If bikes share roads with cars, the cyclists have a risk of being killed by giant metal boxes on wheels.
    Until separate avenues are in place for bikes(like in parts of Europe) the problem will just continue.
    Actually it's not as bad an idea as people's gut instincts tell them. Here's a quote from a CBC article about bike injuries:

If you thought getting off the road is the key to avoiding injury, you might want to think again. Two studies of cyclists in Toronto and Ottawa found that cyclists riding on sidewalks were four to eight times more likely to suffer an injury than cyclists on the road and 1.2 to 1.8 times more likely to be injured on a paved or unpaved multi-use path than on the road.

In the Netherlands, another study showed that while you are twice as likely to be injured while riding in an on-road bike lane than an off-road bike path, the pattern was nearly reversed when it came to intersections. The danger increased when an off-road bike path crossed a road.
    If you're a cyclist who uses dedicated bike trails you can see the issue at any intersection. You come up behind a driver too quickly for them to notice you so they turn and are terrifically surprised to see you standing there waiting to make eye contact.

The best system I've seen so far was in Barcelona on the various Ramblas where there's a wide multi-use walkway in the middle of the road. You get a short walk light and all other traffic is suspended while pedestrians, cyclists and rollerskaters cross. The walkway is sometimes bordered by tram tracks so drivers are even more cautious when turning.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just want to know why all cyclists seem to be wearing spandex. Spandex is evil!.. most of the time. Its like they think they have to wear a uniform to ride a bike. I laugh almost everytime I see them at the sheer dorkyness of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorinji_Knight View Post
    I just want to know why all cyclists seem to be wearing spandex. Spandex is evil!.. most of the time. Its like they think they have to wear a uniform to ride a bike. I laugh almost everytime I see them at the sheer dorkyness of it.
    Because baggy clothes catch the wind and slow you down. Chances are that you'll be riding against the wind at SOME point in your day and a loose shirt vs a tight one can mean the difference between getting home fresh, getting home bagged, or having to walk your bike home. And the reason you don't wear baggy pants is because they get caught in your chain and then you fall over. When you see a cyclist go by in baggies you know they either ride offroad where the trees block the wind or they're like grandma tooling around town on their townie bike.

Besides, we hate everybody and having to look at us in spandex is our sweet sweet revenge upon you all.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    it is amazing how much harder you have to work in baggy cloths. I skate everywhere on this and loose trousers and jacket make you soooooo slooooooooowwwwww

living in cambrdige means the roads are well maintained and cars are tolerant of cyclists, but it can still get hairy in traffic. the plus side is being pulled along by slow moving lorries is ridic fun

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by person J View Post
    story told by Shorinji reminds me of doraemon
    Except no one in Doraemon ever really fixes their bad attitude. Next ep, it's back to "but how can I use this to go into the past and make kindergarten me work harder so present me doesn't have to make up for 5 years of lazyness," despite how badly it turned out last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall
    anyone watching Homeland? i thought it was really good.
    What is this Homeland? Is it good TV? I'm always looking for something I can have on in the background/corner of the screen.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to habrok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the only way everyone can be happy is if bike paths run along side all pavements, which is nigh impossible with the streets we have today, that can only really happen if a new town is built from scratch.
    Imo pushbikes should have the same rules as motorbikes, they are just as exposed as them, so the safety rules should be identical. But then really you would need to make bikers have number plates so that the laws could be enforced.
    I guess the safest thing to do is to make them abide by road laws when on the road, and pedestrian laws while on the pavements. Personally, I never ride on the roads, its too dangerous, when I need to get around, I use the bus/tube.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Besides, we hate everybody and having to look at us in spandex is our sweet sweet revenge upon you all.
    I thought so!.. although I thought it was more along the lines that they are convinced of their own hotness (usually notness) and wants everyone else to notice. But come on. I've been stuck behind the spandex wearing bicycle guy whose butt overhangs the seat so far as to render it invisable.

Never had my pants get caught in the chain... skeptical.

Last edited by Shorinji_Knight; April 6th, 2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by habrok View Post
    What is this Homeland? Is it good TV? I'm always looking for something I can have on in the background/corner of the screen.
    Exactamundo! I dont like working in a quiet room, so I watch series on my third screen, and that is the best one ive seen in ages. Check it out!

Re bikes, I hate bike dicks, especially when they ride (illegally) on the pavement, but then I also hate van pricks, bus chumps, car fools and other skateboard penises, so what can you do? Lorry guys are generally cool though. Imnot a prostitute so I guess Im safe with them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm avoiding watching Game of Thrones in order to keep the books clearer in my mind. At least until the books are finished.

Who thinks the books will actually be finished, before the TV show catches up with it? That's what I would like to know...
    Eh, really there isn't that much of a difference other than not getting the "inner POV" view I suppose. It plays out the same way. I don't see the problem really. You act like you'll never read these books again, and if anything I think because they compliment each other so well you'll probably read the books again after watching the show and enjoy it.

And like I said, there's differences in the openings - this is another one.

Posted this before but I liked this article about the opening sequence. http://www.artofthetitle.com/2011/05...me-of-thrones/

Last edited by Arshes Nei; April 6th, 2012 at 01:26 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thatsa great artical, thank you!!
    The practical solution of having the world inside a sphere for the credits appeals to my sci fi nerdiness; when I watch the new eps thats what Ill choose to imagine their world is like.
    Quality show.

Speaking of, Sibel Kikelli, hottest woman on TV?

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; April 6th, 2012 at 01:52 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought so!.. although I thought it was more along the lines that they are convinced of their own hotness (usually notness) and wants everyone else to notice. But come on. I've been stuck behind the spandex wearing bicycle guy whose butt overhangs the seat so far as to render it invisable.
    One of my roommates in college was a frat boy and he was the biggest douche about clothes and who should wear what. After I lived with him for a while I started giving fat guys in spandex the thumbs up because anybody who pissed my roommate off that much was a fine human being who should be encouraged in their pursuits.

Never had my pants get caught in the chain... skeptical.
    I have. It sucks. More often I get bike grease on my pants, which also sucks.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Not going to reply to every cyclist comment since I last visited. Too many and not that interested. Just expressing frustrations for my area's cyclists.

You don't know where I live. There is literally half a car lane. Enough to fit 2+ bikers without being anywhere near danger. Still they're directly on the line. If there's a shoulder. Ride on it. Your not in less danger because they're not going to treat you like a car. It depends on what the road is like. If there's barely any shoulder that's understandable. If there's plenty of shoulder to ride on. I'm sorry I disagree. Your a lot more likely to get flat out hit by someone not paying attention when half your body is in the road than clipped by someone not paying attention going off the road.

Oh... and I like how this thread is basically about Games of Thrones and cyclists. Another patented lounge spinoff thread

Last edited by JFierce; April 6th, 2012 at 02:08 PM.

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    Re bikes, I hate bike dicks, especially when they ride (illegally) on the pavement,
    As a pedestrian I have a tendency to stick my elbows out with pavement bike riders. Also, I've called them cowards for not riding on the road.

Cambridge is a great place for cyclists - I remember it fondly; the motorists expect them at every turn and make allowances. Wonderful place.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh... and I like how this thread is basically about Games of Thrones and cyclists. Another patented lounge spinoff thread
    Did anyone else imagine Ned Stark on a bicycle while reading this?

-Sacha Ravenda

Sketchbook

DeviantArt

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am now.

With bike gear on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by habrok View Post
    I am now.

With bike gear on.
    Muttering "Black of hair"...

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Things people need to stop doing Sorry this has been bugging me for a while.
    Stop making Kick-starter projects to pay for your art supplies/ lessons/ trip to Europe for "art"/ or other what-not, because you ran out of money or your portfolio wasn't good enough to get yourself some project cash.

again sorry I know a ridiculous load of people who "ended up" in art colleges and don't spend anytime studying, or working. and now most have got the ideas to ask others to help them pay for their education and supplies and its driving me up a wall.

~You should never doubt what nobody is sure about~

Demo's Digital Damsels

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Demo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I+m from Iceland but moved to Denmark about a half a year ago.

Biking in Iceland's a bit of a canis canim edit, but, here in Denmark, it's heaven!

People follow the rules, pedestrians got their own space, bikers got their own space, and drivers got their own space.

Plus, the beer's cheap

But, on Game of Thrones.

Am I the only one that found it boring?

For me, it's like watching the parliament, but, with swords..

My SketchBook

--Wait, whut? --
    Anonymous

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossi View Post
    But, on Game of Thrones.

Am I the only one that found it boring?

For me, it's like watching the parliament, but, with swords..
    Well if your Parliament involves trying to kill 10 year olds, incest, decapitation, boiling people alive with pots of gold, sex, midget sex and implied underage sex. hoookay. I need to watch that too.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Well if your Parliament involves trying to kill 10 year olds, incest, decapitation, boiling people alive with pots of gold, sex, midget sex and implied underage sex. hoookay. I need to watch that too.
    Watch South African news.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    Things people need to stop doing Sorry this has been bugging me for a while.
    Stop making Kick-starter projects to pay for your art supplies/ lessons/ trip to Europe for "art"/ or other what-not, because you ran out of money or your portfolio wasn't good enough to get yourself some project cash.

again sorry I know a ridiculous load of people who "ended up" in art colleges and don't spend anytime studying, or working. and now most have got the ideas to ask others to help them pay for their education and supplies and its driving me up a wall.
    This is what the thread should have been about in the first place.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    This is what the thread should have been about in the first place.
    Nah, Game of Thrones on Bikes is so much more entertaining...

Could be the next hot series: Sex and Death on Wheels

Or better: Sex, Death and Spandex

...except that could describe an awful lot of other movies...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "For me, it's like watching the parliament, but, with swords.."

youre right, lot of talking. quite entertaining pariament though. it wouldnt have made much difference if it had been set in middle ages Spain and Italy with a very few fantasy monsters. the alternate, simplified europe just made for a smaller game, with fewer thrones, and so was more easily contained in a single narrative. least, thats how it seemed.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1