Tribal girl character

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Tribal girl character

Getting started on this, having a lot of trouble with picking colours and making shadows look decent. Using this image for pose/anatomical reference.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Nineaxis; April 4th, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Are those supposed to be feathers on her headband? Because the ones facing downwards make no sense. You don't wear feathers like that otherwise the sharp tips of the feathers would poke her head uncomfortably.
    The colors are fine but it looks like her hand is glowing with power for some reason? Is she going to attack or is she doing something else?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Taralen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I quite like the colours, the mugginess is quite interesting, perhaps when you clean it up add some smoke or something, itll add a nice depth I think

Also, I think the post above has a point with the feathers, I think the shape is nice but I guess it doesn't really make sense, you know? I quite like it overall! I would like to see it finished! Keep it up!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to self-epidemic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    pick colors from ref image with the eyedropper tool.
    Hands (especially the right one) and face is most critical. Spend day or two (or more if needed) just drawing these parts only. And when you feel more comfortable, try to full pose again.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Somelar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The knee looks off. Her whole upper body half is turned too far to the right (her left). Actually from this ancle, her left breast(to us right) would be not standing out to the right but seen pretty much frontal. Same for the chest, it should be turned more to the front then to the right (her left). Hands seem too small.

As for coloring. Try raising saturation in light, and eventually add slight cold ambient light.

Thanks
    You may want to fix the anatomy before going too far into coloring. Here are the proportion issues I see:
    Waist is too long
    Arms are too short. They also look a bit skinny to me
    Hands need to be bigger

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Taralen View Post
    The colors are fine but it looks like her hand is glowing with power for some reason? Is she going to attack or is she doing something else?
    Basic idea was that it's a animal spirit summoning culture, so I was throwing that idea around. Will probably leave it out for the sake of simplicity/focusing on the character herself. I'll also keep the feathers-in-the-headband thing in mind.

And thanks for the feedback everyone else, I think I've improved the anatomy (or at least brought it closer to the ref pic).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    I think you need to give the poor woman a bit more blood in her body! Also notice how, even in your reference, the belly button is more than just a small dark dot on a flat surface; the belly has very subtle curves and shading to it as well, and don't forget the hips! Oh, and another thing I noticed was the lack of a wrist on the left arm (our left); I know it's not very well visible in the reference, but it's definitely there.

Hope this helps!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    try to avoid details like on her arm with the tattoo's wait till you get the full picture, also add warm colors because it's very cold, maybe A overlay 40 trans, and use orange like Lhune did above me!

Thanks
    Not entirely sure of where I'm taking this, but I'm starting to feel more comfortable technique-wise.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nineaxis View Post
    Not entirely sure of where I'm taking this, but I'm starting to feel more comfortable technique-wise.
    Its looking good, I think theres something off with the foot though, and her tummy kinda looks a bit soft/blur coloured, like the shadows are a little confused, you know when you see really bad retouching and they haven't fixed the shadows? Kinda like that.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to self-epidemic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Update, got details in and maybe fixed the lighting abit (could probably still be waaaaay better).

Thanks
    So far, it's alright. Good thing that you use references Nineaxis.

I'm looking at this thread from time to time and wonder why no one gives critique on the scrambled anatomy.
    Now I've noticed that there's a reference picture, the two pictures almost line up so the anatomy must be right.
    But I don't experience it like this, there are some things that put me off in the painted picture. It looks like she has an extremely long torso and short dachshund legs, like she's severley out of balance and is about to fall over. I also think her hips are way to wide for such thin legs.
    (This may sound like the picture is awful, but no, it isn't. It's wasn't done by a beginner but it isn't near a professional level either)

Edit:
    Aha, now I've noticed what bothered me:
    The figure is completely traced after the reference images and lines up almost perfectly. This should make it right - well no.
    There are some bad choices where you had to guess because there was cloth hiding her body. You've painted the right side of the body thicker and added a curve where it isn't necessary (that makes her appear to be out of balance because it would make her hips straight and add weight to her right leg which can't support the body in that position).
    Her left upper arm is very long with a strange wrist.
    Also if you don't know a lot about anatomy, it would look like her hips are straight because there's that vertikal line from the cloth (the one that's above her pubic mound). But they are tilted, just a little bit - her weight is on the straight leg.
    There are a ton of other little mistakes, with perspective, with anatomy, with overall design (simple stylized choices to emphasize on the right muscles and joints, to use a specific silhouette so that these things don't look like random bumps. Or just the understanding how a natural standing person looks like).

Now the other things is that you've added the clothes without properly understanding how the figure works, how the clothes wrap around her and which parts of anatomy are to emphasize.
    I give just one example: Reference-ladies ripcage is a bit lifted, if you would look at her from the side her spine would look something like a "C" - the belly area is stretched and the pelvis is tilted a tiny bit back.
    You have painted the breatsbinder thing straight on, in a line so that it looks like no part of her body is stretched.
    That is visible on the skirt, on the bandage-lines of her legs, on the brim of the shoe on the left foot, on her skull hat and on her scarf and on the bra.

So what is there to say?
    Critique on what to fix in the single parts of this picture can make it better but it won't push you as artist because the things I've commented on are just symptoms of a lack of drawing-knowledge.
    You can go on with using this technique where you trace a figure and add stuff, it produces quick results that look more or less alright.
    If you want good quality in your art and more freedom, start again and don't skip the anatomy, perspective and construction parts. If you want to get better in this, anatomy studies, life drawing, 30 second poses, hands and feet, perspective are the way to go. Yes this could take some years .

Oh, that paintover is done in such a rough way, hope you still get what I want to say C:

Last edited by Kiera; April 8th, 2012 at 05:23 AM.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kiera For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the great feedback Kiera. I quickly applied it to the painting, and it looks massively better now (at least anatomically). There's probably a lot left to clean up that I'll try and come back to, but I needed to get started on a second character since I'm doing two on two different color palettes for my color theory class.

Besides color theory I'm also taking life drawing this quarter, so I probably jumped the gun deciding to do character designs as a project before getting far enough into life drawing to do them well... but it's all a learning experience I guess. Started the second character with an anatomical sketch so hopefully it looks better (ignore those terrible looking feet).

Thanks
    I really like the hand tattoo, I think it has so much potential I hope you don't finish when it looks aaammmaazing! kay?

Thanks
    The main thing that bugs me is the lack of color. She looks pasty and it seems like you only used two hues for her entire body. This doesn't look natural because in real life our skin is made up of several pigments, colors, shades. By using several colors ranging from red to peach to brown to orange, etc, and by implementing more detail and stronger contrast, your painting will look more like a painting and less like an half-hearted chalk drawing. (no offense).

Thanks
    Tried throwing some more colour into the skin...

Thanks
    There's not much I have to say on your drawings that wouldn't be a repeat of previous comments, but I must ask; Why are you doing all these tribal designs with white girls?
    I suppose it just strikes me as odd.

I personally think you might be hindering yourself by not having a good look at relevent cultures. Especially since all three of these designs follow a similar trend of "skimpy top, skimpy skirt" which isn't bad in itself, but reminds me a little too much of what I'd see out at a club. In the isle of man. Which is as far from any tribal culture as you could possibly be.

That's what tends to happen when we don't do our research, you see. We draw what is familiar to us, then add what we /think/ is relevent to a type. In this case it'd be "Tribal means feathers and skulls, right?"

Just compare these pictures with your current designs. I tried to look around for a diverse enough range, but they still don't bear much resemblence to any of these. Perhaps you wish for there to be a bit of a 'modern american/english' flair to the designs, but I just don't see enough 'tribal' influence, personally, to really think this is a tribal girl without being told that.

What I'm saying is, do your self a favour and look around at other cultures, take down notes too.
    What is their fabric made of? What silhuette does it produce? /Why do they wear it?/ and what do "I" Want from /my/ tribal designs?

Research is key to anything you're not familiar with, even things you think are! Especially when you want to come up with interesting and appealing ideas.

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Maybe tribal was the wrong word to put in the title. I definitely should have done some more research before starting though.

Here's an update to both. Threw in more fabric and layering to try and add some visual interest.

Thanks
    Ah, well. You can still do your study gathering, you know. Just because you're into your drawings doesn't mean you can't stop and re-asses what you have. I've quite litterally saved you some trouble and chucked you some refferences already as a starting point and you've not yet finished your pictures, right?
    So you can still look at the clothes you've designed, against these ones and think how you can improve your own designs.

Ah, but I don't want to push. Atleast you've changed the second girl's bear hat to something that matches her outfit. I was going to comment on that before.

If these aren't really tribal girls, what are they then? They both have skulls and tatoos, small weapons and traveling gear *by the first girl, atleast* are they part of a group of girls who rob others? Part of a small cult?
    I think it's good to tell us what /your/ aims are, so that feedback can be more tailored to your project.
    That's it, really. Good luck, mate.
    Edit: Oh, christ. I'm a shit reader, they're part of an animal summoning culture. Ah right. That why they have the skulls? As a direct way to communicate with whatever animal?

Last edited by Naidy; April 11th, 2012 at 09:43 AM.
    Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by look View Post
    You may want to fix the anatomy before going too far into coloring. Here are the proportion issues I see:
    Waist is too long
    Arms are too short. They also look a bit skinny to me
    Hands need to be bigger
    You still have these issues in your first drawing.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.