Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts

CISPA another SOPA/PIPA type bill.

Seems a bit early to grasp it all yet, only a few videos on it, and not many articles. Definitely don't trust RT (Russia Today) news as any sort of reliable source.

But read through the bill. Wording does seem fairly broad and since half of the bill is worded using their own terms they just now defined in the bill which are also broad, it's extremely broad in scope. (From what I see, I'm not an expert though on law)

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...12hr3523ih.pdf

I think this was the general bulk of the private entities sharing their 'cybersecurity threat intelligence' ... which basically means info they collect. (They literally just tacked on 'cybersecurity' to every definition to make it sound official and scary)

‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—
    ‘‘(A) CYBERSECURITY PROVIDERS.—Not-
    withstanding any other provision of law, a cy-
    bersecurity provider, with the express consent
    of a protected entity for which such cybersecu-
    rity provider is providing goods or services for
    cybersecurity purposes, may, for cybersecurity
    purposes—
    ‘‘(i) use cybersecurity systems to iden-
    tify and obtain cyber threat information to
    protect the rights and property of such
    protected entity; and
    ‘‘(ii) share such cyber threat informa-
    tion with any other entity designated by
    such protected entity, including, if specifi-
    cally designated, the Federal Government.
    ‘‘(B) SELF-PROTECTED ENTITIES.—Not-
    withstanding any other provision of law, a self-
    protected entity may, for cybersecurity pur-
    poses—

‘‘(i) use cybersecurity systems to iden-
    tify and obtain cyber threat information to
    protect the rights and property of such
    self-protected entity; and
    ‘‘(ii) share such cyber threat informa-
    tion with any other entity, including the
    Federal Government.

Based on the definition I'm guessing a cybersecurity provider whatever that is, if it's an ISP, something like Google, Facebook or something that goes on in the background can just collect information and freely share it. There's the line of "With the express consent" of the protected entities, well if you remember all these websites like Google, Facebook etc, you give them the consent to collect your info already.

and like many similar types of bills this just seems like a compounding law of sorts. Where it gives broad powers to protect the 'rights and property' of these self defined entities, then later you can redefine what these rights, threats and properties are any time down the road.

Hell it says right in the bill up front

A BILL
    To provide for the sharing of certain cyber threat intelligence
    and cyber threat information between the intelligence
    community and cybersecurity entities, and for other pur-
    poses.
    Last edited by JFierce; April 4th, 2012 at 06:09 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,526 Times in 2,458 Posts
    But if the wild west internet gets all fenced and the video streaming sites go, how will I watch (put on in the background while Im working) for free all the movies I wouldnt in a lifetime pay to see?
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    But if the wild west internet gets all fenced and the video streaming sites go, how will I watch (put on in the background while Im working) for free all the movies I wouldnt in a lifetime pay to see?
    "These people Adam, they're like ghosts. Always in the shadows, always hiding behind lies, and proxy soldiers. I need you to find them. They cannot stop us, they cannot stop the future."

http://gizmodo.com/5894598/the-pirat...ers-in-the-sky
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    I just got this email from fightforthefuture.

Can you believe this? After the largest online protest in history, the Obama administration is still voicing support for SOPA.

We promised to ask for your help if SOPA returned. We're asking now. This kind of backtracking demands a strong, fast response. We're running a petition to demand that Obama drop all support for internet censorship.

Our goal? Get more signatures than the top petition on whitehouse.gov -- 151,000 signatures. Tell Obama to promise: "I will never advance legislation that blocks websites or disconnects Americans’ internet access.”

What is the White House working on exactly? Just the other day, the administration sent a letter to Congress to demonstrate their support for new internet censorship legislation. A few weeks ago, the White House struck a deal to give corporations private powers to shut down your internet connection (after "six strikes" without due process or judicial review), completely in secret.

Obama's internet would let private companies block sites and turn off our web connections. Blocking websites censors free speech, hurts jobs, and breaks the internet. These are tactics used by totalitarian governments and we believe they’re never ok.

Let's get more signatures than any petition on whitehouse.gov.

As Wired noted*, "The White House did say that it wouldn't endorse a bill that endangers freedom of expression, increases cybersecurity risks, or negatively affects the DNS system. On the other hand, it says elsewhere that "combating online infringement" -- not protecting free speech -- is a governmental priority "of the highest order." What about free speech, Obama?

Sign the petition now, then share it to keep the internet strong. Our friends need to know where the President is currently standing on SOPA.

We couldn't have stopped SOPA and PIPA without you and all of your friends! And we can't do it without you now. Let's make sure SOPA 2.0 never gets written.

Thank you,

Tiffiniy, Zak, Fight for the Future!

* The Wired article can be read in full here: http://a.fightforthefuture.org/go/21?akid=69.1278579.RuARLd&t=10

To learn more about the White House's support of internet censorship, see this article on CNet: http://a.fightforthefuture.org/go/21?akid=69.1278579.RuARLd&t=12
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Pffff....Americans...;P