Abisko - Watercolor
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Abisko - Watercolor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Abisko - Watercolor

Hello!
    This is a finish picture, and I can't make any changes unless the change is very minor since the paper is no longer stretch, since it a birthday present for my dad tomorrow. But I think I probably could learn a lot from having one of my traditional paintings critiqued, for future paintings.

Any comments and advice is welcome.

I had some trouble making the picture, especially with the washed out mountains in the background. I didn't get them right the first time I put on transparent paint. So I tried make them dark and then bleach the living shit out of them with white gouache. I think getting them right the first time would been better, but transparent watercolor is tricky to get right the first time at times.

The brook/jokk, is also very very white, as I used masking fluid. When I removed it I experimented some, but then decided that keeping them white was the look I managed to the most interesting result with my current level of skill.

I used two pigments. Ultra Marin, and Burnt Green Earth and Titanium White (gouache). A4 size.

I used a reference picture, for the general look of the picture.

Reference picture:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    I have no intention of becoming a professional artist, I just aspire to become a really good amateur.

Sketchbook: w176 love of the color dirt
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

River needs more attention

Quote Originally Posted by w176 View Post
    Hello!
    This is a finish picture, and I can't make any changes unless the change is very minor since the paper is no longer stretch, since it a birthday present for my dad tomorrow. But I think I probably could learn a lot from having one of my traditional paintings critiqued, for future paintings.

Any comments and advice is welcome.

I had some trouble making the picture, especially with the washed out mountains in the background. I didn't get them right the first time I put on transparent paint. So I tried make them dark and then bleach the living shit out of them with white gouache. I think getting them right the first time would been better, but transparent watercolor is tricky to get right the first time at times.

The brook/jokk, is also very very white, as I used masking fluid. When I removed it I experimented some, but then decided that keeping them white was the look I managed to the most interesting result with my current level of skill.

I used two pigments. Ultra Marin, and Burnt Green Earth and Titanium White (gouache). A4 size.

I used a reference picture, for the general look of the picture.

Reference picture:
    the river is too chunky slim it down ( make them thinner as it movies away from you), smooth the mountains peaks down remember they are far away and require less detail and not as sharp on the peaks, also watch out on the values , I'm sure others will add to this also enjoy the ride they offer you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would just work on refining your edges. Take a hard look at the photo of the distant ridges/mountains, and then look at the same parts in your painting.

The devil's in the details.

-I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The water is not in proper perspective, like you're looking down from a higher vantage point. The dirty, rocky texture is not present, you ould use like a spatter or some other technique, I'm not familiar with gouache.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.