Sketchbook: A rookie sketchbook - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A rookie sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I drew people in a bar (first 2 pages), it was quite fun. I also tried to draw from imagination some poses and faces and stuffs (last 2 pages of course)... despairing but well, it can only be better next time.
    It's really impressive the gap (the gulf... worlds... univers) that exist between what I can do from a picture (already not much) and what I can do from imagination. I understand that is normal but it's still frustrating.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, the human mind has an inconvenient tendency to simplify anything it doesn't understand. As your knowledge increases, the work from imagination will improve as well
    For now, I notice you tend to draw legs a bit too short. Watch out for that.

The sketches from the bar are cool

My Sketchbook - All are welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I am pretty new to CA also. Maybe we can help each other out . Hope to see more of your work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start so far, making a sketchbook here is a good way to get the ball rolling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by IntoTheVoid View Post
    For now, I notice you tend to draw legs a bit too short. Watch out for that.
    Yes, you're right. I though I corrected that, and didn't even see it on those actual drawings, but now you mention it, it's obvious. Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by Wohuan View Post
    Hey, I am pretty new to CA also. Maybe we can help each other out . Hope to see more of your work!
    Sure

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    Great start so far, making a sketchbook here is a good way to get the ball rolling.
    Thank you ! And yes, true, this community is really helpful

----------------------------------

Some exercises to help getting confident with the lines and some of the <I don't even want to know how many> 2mn gestures I did those two last days ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start!
    The best advice to give you is have fun - then you'll keep drawing!
    And draw from stuff in real life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Dahlium ^^

--------------------
    I tried working on faces, not really for faces themselves but for the general 3D forms feel, and it's clearly not integrated yet. I will do more and more spheres, cubes and such.
    I also tried a street enviro, at first it was just to work on perspective , but I developped it a bit, just a rough, I don't know if I will continue working on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, I think you might enjoy doing some da Vinci master studies - his face sketches may be just what you're looking for. The perspective study is nice too; I'd like to see stronger lighting on the lit sides for contrast, but the lines all check out

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Theothenai,

What a nice sketch book you have here. I like your attitude. It is very inspiring to hear that you bother about you being 40 yrs old and that if anyone will tell you to stop drawing, you will continue anyway.

I'm 25 and a computer technician and sometimes I feel there's no point in drawing since I'm "too old" and have too many bad habits, other interests and so forth, but I can't really stop because I love it so much

So thank you very much for sharing, I'll try to keep the same mindset as you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Charadas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, I think you might enjoy doing some da Vinci master studies - his face sketches may be just what you're looking for. The perspective study is nice too; I'd like to see stronger lighting on the lit sides for contrast, but the lines all check out
    It's too scary for me to massacre some Da Vinci drawings by trying to copy them (Well, in fact, I tried once, before I started this sketchbook and it was a big fail ^^).

Quote Originally Posted by Charadas View Post
    Hello Theothenai,

What a nice sketch book you have here. I like your attitude. It is very inspiring to hear that you bother about you being 40 yrs old and that if anyone will tell you to stop drawing, you will continue anyway.

I'm 25 and a computer technician and sometimes I feel there's no point in drawing since I'm "too old" and have too many bad habits, other interests and so forth, but I can't really stop because I love it so much

So thank you very much for sharing, I'll try to keep the same mindset as you.
    Thank you Charadas ! I'm really happy if my mindset can help you in a way or another. Keep doing what you love with people you love, that's the only things you can't ever regret

------------------

I realise that I didn't post for few days (not good !) And the reason it's obviously because I didn't do much this days (not good at all !!).
    But I still have a few things : Michael Hampton studies, heads, and a real quick painting to test light and color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Theotenai View Post
    It's too scary for me to massacre some Da Vinci drawings by trying to copy them (Well, in fact, I tried once, before I started this sketchbook and it was a big fail ^^).
    Haha, I know how you feel But master studies aren't for paying tribute to great artists - they're for stealing their precious techniques
    Da Vinci just happens to be a good example, but if you look around you may find one you're interested in trying out.

If you haven't seen it before, this ancient thread by Kevin Chen helped me figure a few things out about how to construct heads and other body parts.

I really like the feel and color scheme of your last speed paint. I'm afraid the light and shadow aren't making much sense though. The light is coming from the window, right? At its core, light and shadow follow normal perspective rules. Here's a good explanation:
    Seedling's Perspective 101

Nice progress overall! Good to see you really getting a feel for those gestures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the links IntoTheVoid. I knew Kevin Chen's one but not Seeding's one. It will help (and yes light and shadows doesn't make sense ).

-----------------------------

I didn't draw any gesture for a week, so I choose an hour pixelovely class (30sec, 1mn, 4mn, 11mn, 30mn)... and I feel like restarting from ground -_- I really have to do some everyday, even if it's just for 10mn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey good studies! That last ballerina looks really good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Gibi

--------------

Painting from imagination. There are some wrong things in proportions/perspective, colors, values (seems flat)... but I probably spent too much on it without pause to find exactly what...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Few corrections after a good night. Seems to me a bit better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a pretty cool style
    What you're describing is precisely what flipping is for! And in the case of traditional media, using a mirror will have the same effect. Once an image is flipped your brain is no longer used to it and stops trying to "fill in the gaps" for you.

In this case, the major weakness is the neck: it's 100% flat and seems to attach sideways to her jaw, instead of vertically under the occipital bone and mandible. Kinda makes her look like a sock puppet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG the neck.... Thought about all but that, and it's so obvious :/ Thank you !
    (I flip a lot when I paint, but at some point, in a way or the other I can't see anything ^^)

New version...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gestures, heads with Loomis' method, basic proportions (fail ^^)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More loomis heads, gestures (tried an other way, but...), quick still life sketch and various exercises.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The recent gestures aren't bad or anything, but the ones from May 10th were a good deal stronger. The reason for that is line confidence. I know it's hard to resist, but avoid at all costs "petting lines" and "probing lines". It's probably the single most common habit artists start out with and it causes them a whole lot of grief.
    I still catch myself using them at times! They're evil!

You know what I mean? Those little marks you put on the page before you feel brave enough to put down a proper line. Intuitively it might feel like they're helping, but they never are.
    You have to force yourself to commit to every line you draw. If you absolutely hate a line then just erase it and draw it again, but never put down any faint, placeholder lines.

Also, don't mistake those for construction lines - those are different. Construction lines have a similar basic purpose, but they are just as deliberate as the final lines are.

I hope that made at least some sense, like it did in my head. I remember an exercise I was doing to cure my lines was to take a drawing and redraw it 5 times, so by the end I just "knew" where the line was supposed to go and didn't need any crutch lines underneath

24. The Following User Says Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've improved so much! The advances in your gestures is unbelievable! I must ask, did you read something to help improve your gestures or did it just come naturally from drawing them so much?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyCharm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The recent gestures aren't bad or anything, but the ones from May 10th were a good deal stronger. The reason for that is line confidence. I know it's hard to resist, but avoid at all costs "petting lines" and "probing lines". It's probably the single most common habit artists start out with and it causes them a whole lot of grief.
    I still catch myself using them at times! They're evil!

You know what I mean? Those little marks you put on the page before you feel brave enough to put down a proper line. Intuitively it might feel like they're helping, but they never are.
    You have to force yourself to commit to every line you draw. If you absolutely hate a line then just erase it and draw it again, but never put down any faint, placeholder lines.

Also, don't mistake those for construction lines - those are different. Construction lines have a similar basic purpose, but they are just as deliberate as the final lines are.

I hope that made at least some sense, like it did in my head. I remember an exercise I was doing to cure my lines was to take a drawing and redraw it 5 times, so by the end I just "knew" where the line was supposed to go and didn't need any crutch lines underneath
    That makes sense ! It's diificult for me to explain in english I hope I will be understandable : In fact those last gestures was a try to draw looosely, the goal was to draw with only one line without lefting the pencil from the paper. And it's what I did, the problem it's that doing this make sense if you draw the flow and here after 2sec I was going back and forth on a single portion of an arm, a head, or wathever and not at all drawing the flow, so it's exactly like drawing "petting lines", and it's exactly the opposite result that I wanted

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    You've improved so much! The advances in your gestures is unbelievable! I must ask, did you read something to help improve your gestures or did it just come naturally from drawing them so much?
    Thank you very much ! I have difficulties to evaluate myself how much I improved so it makes me happy to hear that ^^

It did not come naturally, I first read Vilppu : http://www.awn.com/mag/issue3.3/3.3p...pudrawing.html (this chapter only, it's already so difficult to master this ^^) and had the chance to have a friend with the lecture of this chapter in video in which Vilppu explains in details the idea in 1h. And for 20mn at the end of the video, he draws gestures from photo explaining the process. So I drew at the same time copying him line by line, listening to what he says, and reapeat that several times until I think I understood something doing this (the "flow" maybe), even if I can't reproduce that with other references than the ones he uses in this video.
    And I also studied (and go back to it regulary) the first chapter "Gesture drawing" of Mickael Hampton's book "Figure Drawing - Design and invention" where he offers a point by point process for gestures that you can adjust as you developp your own style. I really love this book, maybe he has the type of pedagogy that suits me, I don't know.

The mix of those and practicing a bit everyday (or quite :/) with gesture's sites is what I do. I hope it can help you.

---------------------------

And while we're in gestures, here are mines for today (I'm not happy at all with the 30sec ones, and most of the 1mn ones are not much better, but I keep doing them to gain confidence)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies, keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Sirenus !

Gestures and a quick drawing.