Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: A rookie sketchbook

Thanks

A rookie sketchbook

Hello,

(Please ecuse my bad english)
    My name is Ludo, I'm french and I decided to start learning to draw. I'm 40 but it's never too late (at list I wish ^^).
    I started learning about a month ago. Mainly, I'm following Riven Phoenix courses, and basics exercices from ctrlpaint.com and enliighten.com, I've also read a lot on this forum about where to start, some tutorials, a lot of things, and other things all around the internet, so much in fact that I'm completly overwhelmed by the infos...

Finally, I also bought two books that a lot of artists seems to find usefull, but I didn't started working with them already : Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Betty Edwards) and Keys to drawing (Bert Dodson). And I have Andrew Loomis books.

At first I didn't want to open a thread since my work is the ugly one of a beginner, but then I though that if I really want to learn, then I need critiques, advices, orientations. So please don't hesitate to tell me what you think, be mean if you want, tell me to stop drawing if it's deseperate, no problem (I will continue anyway :p) ^^

So here are some of my studies : skulls from imagination, and a face, apple and eggs (no, they aren't potatoes ...) from photographies.

Best regards
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Theotenai; October 10th, 2014 at 09:09 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    welcome to CA! iam a rookie as well but i think you made a pretty good start

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gannicus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Welcome to CA Theotenai!! I'm also a rookie and I've got to say this is a good start, those skulls have volume so at least you're aware of form and shape, which is crucial. To understand that took me weeks so don't be so hard on yourself, all you have to do is studying those books. If I may help in any way, I would recommend you not to focus on just one of those books. Sometimes you may struggle with a particular subject because you are not able to get the point as the author puts it. However, having different books with different approaches has helped me a great deal, you can compare, let's say, the subject "arms" in 3 different books so you get a strong understanding of that particular theme. Loomis is great but I had to check Vilppu's one to keep on advancing so this might be the case for you, hope you do great

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveGarcia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hai! welcome to CA... and Holy! a month ago? I approve.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dormema For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Welcome aboard. You're off to a good start already. I can see you have good observation skills - you notice a lot of little details. This is a very good thing, but it can also work against you. Before thinking about the little details, first make sure you understand what they are, and why they are there.

Here, I made a quick paintover of your study (I hope you don't mind).
    I didn't change much here, but notice how different the eyes look when you replace the uncertain, trembling lines with more confident ones.
    Attachment 1454564

In general, lines represent edges, or areas where two forms intersect. All those little details you see? Try to think about how you could use form to produce them instead of lines.

Good luck and keep posting!
    My Sketchbook - All are welcome

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for your warm welcome !
    Already some usefull advices, thanks !

@DaveGarcia : oh yes, I know that looking at several approaches on the same subject will help me... I know that... but I don't do it ^^ So thanks for the reminder !

@IntoTheVoid : thank you ! You're right, I tend to focus a lot on details, and often, after an a lot of work on them I realise that there are mistakes in the general forms... And for the trembling, uncertain lines, it's awfull, I really have to stop being afraid of drawing ^^

This morning I tried to draw 30sec poses with artsyposes.com and posemaniacs.com. Wow, it's hard ! But it's a lot of fun too ! Maybe it will help me gaining confidence. I will try to do this a bit everyday. I post my attempt of this morning here (sorry for the bad quality, I don't have scanner, so I use my phone...). As you can see, I need a lot of work :p I even don't know how to draw them, I tried with basics forms, with lines for hips, spine, etc, I guess it will come naturally as I continue.

I also post a muscles'head study from mind. I'm really not happy with it, because the render is just ugly...
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Theotenai; October 10th, 2014 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Theotenai View Post
    This morning I tried to draw 30sec poses with artsyposes.com and posemaniacs.com. Wow, it's hard ! But it's a lot of fun too ! Maybe it will help me gaining confidence. I will try to do this a bit everyday. I post my attempt of this morning here (sorry for the bad quality, I don't have scanner, so I use my phone...). As you can see, I need a lot of work :p I even don't know how to draw them, I tried with basics forms, with lines for hips, spine, etc, I guess it will come naturally as I continue.
    There are hundreds of different approaches to making gestures, and they're all perfectly acceptable. If you don't have a preference, look at how Andrew Loomis does his and try that style out. Honestly it's fine to even use stick figures if they're sufficiently accurate and expressive.
    For example, like so: http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/...ers/chara2.htm

The purpose of a gesture is to tell as much of the story as possible using as few lines as possible. When thinking about how to reduce a pose into a gesture, try to make just one single line that would best represent it - this is called the line of action - and build the rest of your gesture around it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you IntoTheVoid. I try several approach, and read a nice article on the line of action here : http://www.awn.com/mag/issue3.3/3.3p...pudrawing.html, but it's hard to get... (Il also have a book named "Force" by M. D. Mattesi, it's a bit too advanced for me though).

I post other stuffs : studies, studies and some studies and a bit more ^^ (It took me ages to undestand the structure of the nose...)

Thanks
    Few more gestures but more than 30sec pose (a lot more !)

Thanks
    Good work, your last few studies are showing promise.
    The moment you finish a study, make sure you go back to it and make a note of anything you didn't get quite right. Like the legs being too short on the first one, or the knee being too low on the third one. This will help you learn more out of the practice and keep things fresh in your mind for the next time.
    Cheers

17. The Following User Says Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks for commenting on my sketchbook.

One thing I would say is to study from life, study a model skull if you can get one, go out and draw gestures of people in public places. Set up a lamp and do studies of ping pong balls or other simple, white objects to practice rendering. It's useless trying to draw more complicated stuff before you can render a cube or a sphere well.

Once you get more confident with your life drawing, drawing from imagination gets easier

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the advices Hunin, I study mainly from photos but yes I would do more from real life.

I tried with a ping pong ball, and took my sketchbook flat on my desk too far from my eyes so it's not round ^^
    I also tried with go stones (pieces of an asian game for those who don't know, I put a photo), their shape are simple but interesting and harder than I though ^^

The result is better on my sketchbook than on the photo, I'm quite satisfy with the black go stone, but not with the white one... and well I will try to draw a round ping pong ball next time ^^

Thanks
    Thanks for commenting in my sketchbook, and welcome to ConceptArt. You're off to a good start with drawing, and you're probably at an advantage never drawing before since you don't have to undo bad habits.

I just have a couple of critiques. It's most obvious with the go stones, but make sure with those value drawings that you keep a clear distinction between light, dark and mid-tones, otherwise everything blends together. With your ping pong ball, the top that is in direct light barely looks like a highlight at all.

Along with that, and what IntoTheVoid said, work from very general first. That also applies to the values and your brushes. If you start with light, dark, and mid-tones and then blend and put little accents and details, it will help you to keep the values separate. In post #9, with the woman bent over, it looks a little muddy and uneven, especially in the highlights, if you started with bigger brush sizes, that would decrease some of that. Then as you get more detailed, you can start using smaller and smaller brushes. I'm sure on ctrlpaint that may be mentioned, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I wrote a novel, but good luck with your drawing. Keep at it.
    Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog

22. The Following User Says Thank You to NicoleWG For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast