best pc setup

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: best pc setup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking best pc setup

hi guys,

im hoping someone can help. im looking to set myself up with a beast of a custom pc rig, mostly for the use of brush,sculptress and the usual digital software like PS and corel painter.

my budget is around $4000 including two monitors. i know the amount seems like overkill, but iv been saving for ages and its now time to seriously upgrade. so if anyone can help me in recommending everything from start to finish i.e graphics cards( i would like to run 2 if possible),cpu,memory(would like to run 32 or 64 gig),motherboard and all the rest (like cooling fans etc),i would really appreciate it!

below are some of the basic components i have scouted out so far.

(craphics cards)
    * INVDEA GeForce GTX 590....or
    * INVIDEA GeForce GTX 580

(memory)
    * corsair Dominator® with DHX Pro Connector and Airflow II Fan — 24GB Triple Channel, 1.5V, DDR3 Memory Kit (CMP24GX3M6A1333C9) x 2....or
    * corsair Vengeance® — 32GB Quad Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10)

(processor)
    * AMD FX 8-Core Black Edition FX-8120 (ecx-Off-US-549763).....or
    * AMD FX 8-Core Black Edition FX-8120 (FD8120WMW8KGU).....or
    * AMD FX 8-Core Black Edition FX-8120 (ecx-Bes-US-4803185)
    * Amd Fx 8150 3.6Ghz

(motherboard)
    * GIGABITE GA-X79-UD5...or
    * GIGABITE GA-X79-UD7...or
    * ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX

thanks guys.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What programs are you going to run?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

im looking to run zbrush,sculptress,photoshop and corral painter12. and maybe 3D studio max,or similar.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Would be interested in what gets recommended as I'm going to be buying myself a new system soon for similar usage.

My Sketchbook Please have a lookie...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would go for something like this:

i7 2600k
    16GB or 32GB RAM
    Quadro 4000 (5000?)
    600W PSU (Antec, Corsair, etc)
    Z68 motherboard
    Intel SSD + Samsung/WD HDD
    Case with good airflow and construction
    Also a cooler for the CPU, maybe Corsair H70/80/100 watercooling? Less dust but it can be messy if there's spills.

I don't know when the new Ivy Bridge CPU's will come out so you might have to do some research on that.

Last edited by Portus; April 4th, 2012 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would (if you can) wait for Ivy Bridge. Sounds like maybe end of April or June of this year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this rig is little too much for potoshop and even zbrush work, don't you think? If you want to composite large video files or render out some movie clips, then 32 gigs or more is fine, but CPU is important as well (or even more). cpu- i7, gpu- GTX 580 or higher, ram- 16 GB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, should have said that I'm starting a Game Arts course in September so there'll be a fair amount of 3d work and I'd rather not be waiting for it to catch up all the time, also be using photoshop and various other 3d based software.

My Sketchbook Please have a lookie...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why go with with a 580 GTX when the 680 just came out. Runs as fast as three of the previous cards for less money and less wattage.

I recommend not going for SLI because none if the programs your going to use are going to take advantage of that. I would recommend waiting for the upgraded version of the 680 GTX from EVGA, they come with 3GB of RAM which would be great for 3Ds MAX.

As for RAM anywhere between 16GB and 24GB is fine. Just dont buy in to the hype of faster RAM modules. 1600 MHZ is more than enough. Corsair's Dominators are your best bet.

CPU: This is a bit of a trouble maker, in the sense that you've got 2 sockets to choose from. The lower end LGA 1155 will get Ivy Bridge first if that's what you're going to wait for. The higher end, LGA 2011, will get the Extreme editions for Ivy Bridge but that's down the road somewhat.

Both have great processors to choose from but speaking in terms of performance wise and for future proofing (were talking roughly 3-4 yrs) I'd go with the 3930K.

Motherboard: Well once you've decided on which CPU to choose, make sure your MB is compatible with it (Socket wise). You'll need a motherboard that will support the amount of RAM you're looking to get and one that has USB 3.0 and the updated PCI Express 3.0. Make sure that it has at least 2 slots of PCIe 3.0 that don't share bandwidth. Also if you're looking to do a bit of CPU overclocking that may factor in as well.

It's hard to tell you what to go for so I suggest looking at reviews.

PSU: NEVER EVER skimp out on the PSU choose the highest wattage you can get and from the most reliable companies. Usually anywhere between 800W and 1000W is a safe bet. Thermaltake have great modular PSUs you can check out.

I won't go into soundcards and keyboards and any other peripherals.

Hard drives: you really can't miss with an SSD for your OS and programs. a 128GB SSD from any company will do wonders. They are very expensive so barring that, a Western Digital Velociraptor Drive is your best bet. Also I can't stress enough how important this is: BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP. I have 4 1TB drives in my rig fro back ups. There are a lot of programs that do instantaneous back ups of your drive on to another designated drive.

Monitors: Either go for a massive 30 incher or dual 24inch monitors. Make sure they are IPS panels, check their warranties for dead pixel coverage. Good brands: DELL and HP make great and inexpensive IPS monitors, Professional's will go either for the Samsung Z30 range, EIZO or NEC.

Hope this helps out a bit.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brashen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking thanks guys :)

hi again guys

thank you to everyone that has helped with replies to my original question. as mentioned, i know the suggested rig i want to put together is a bit much,so judging buy all the great suggestions,ill tone it down a bit.

so please keep the suggestions coming,and ill let you guys know what i go for in the next few weeks.

your help is greatly appreciated!

thanks again!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lineslave For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1