Critiques badly needed on two works

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Critiques badly needed on two works

Whats going on everyone..this isn't anything too complicated so I'll get right to the point to save everyones time: I have two peices here I did this month in bad need of a critique. I need someone to give me an honest opinion on the things I did right on these pieces (if anything) and the things I did wrong and need to work on. Please be honest and constructive without being too rude

For the first painting my concerns are:

Some things that bother me is the structure of the forms in the first painting. Do the forms "read?" If not, how can I make them read better?

In the first painting, how is the color scheme? I was going for a complementary contrast of blue green and red. Does this communicate to you?

Is the face off in any way? Are the proportions off? Does the facial expression look funny to you?

Could the composition be enhanced? Do you think I should have greyed down the colors more in stead of keeping them so saturated in the dress and shirt?

Does the lighting make sense to you or can you not tell where the light is coming from and what it's doing?

Should there be more play with hard and soft edges? Does anything look rushed?

for the second painting my concerns are:

Is the composition too boring to you or should more elements be included? Is the composition too busy to you or should somethings be taken out

Does the lack of rendering in the headscarf throw you off? Should I go back and render the headscarf some more or will no amount of rendering save this peice?

Do the forms of the face and upper body read to you? Can you tell where the light is coming from?

Is it difficult for you to figure out the concept behind the painting? I was going for an aesthetic concept where I contrast the hue of the womans skin tone against the hue of the negative space around her

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Amara91; April 2nd, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *edited the first paragraph so everyone could know what my thoughts were about these things. Hopefully this can get yall started

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    On the first one, I like the color and the composition. Her head's a tad big and the whole thing could use some harder, sharper brushstrokes (it's look a bit soft overall at the moment).

On the second one...again, it's not color or composition that sticks out. Her head's a bit big for that shoulder, too, and there are some facial proportion issues. Her mouth and chin are a little small and far forward and I think her eye may need to move back a bit. The lasso tool could take care of it for you.

Your experiments are working fine, if you can fix some of the underlying structural issues.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    On the first one, I like the color and the composition. Her head's a tad big and the whole thing could use some harder, sharper brushstrokes (it's look a bit soft overall at the moment).

On the second one...again, it's not color or composition that sticks out. Her head's a bit big for that shoulder, too, and there are some facial proportion issues. Her mouth and chin are a little small and far forward and I think her eye may need to move back a bit. The lasso tool could take care of it for you.

Your experiments are working fine, if you can fix some of the underlying structural issues.

I see, so for the second piece, work on my drawing more as it relates to proportions. And for the first, work on the brushwork and strike a balance between hard and soft edges so the whole thing wont look fuzzy or blurred out. See I wouldn't have caught that since Ive been looking at them for so long, thank you. I appreciate the response Stoat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These look more like works in progress rather than finished pieces because of their lack of sharpness. There's some strong stuff happening here, it just needs sharpness.

You should check out my site! Yes you!

www.mlharris.carbonmade.com

and the devarts...
    michaelharris.deviantart.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.