Thread: NY or Bust?

Thanks

NY or Bust?

Well, I have nearly a year left at my art school, and although everyone considers it a long amount of time until I have to graduate and know what to do with my life, I feel as if it's practically nothing at all.

Haing a past consisting of ditching senrior year of HS majority of the time and droppnig out of Jr. College, being able to attend an art college for a BA in Graphic Design has been a blessing. I try and push myself as much as I can by going beyond just getting the "A" and doing work outside of class just as often as inclass work is issued.

Here's my dillema though. I left my hometown, South Florida, to go to this school, located in Phoenix, Arizona. It's been a great time so far; however, when it comes to be the day after graduation, I already want to head out. NY is known to be the marketing kingdom as well as a huge art community. Already having a older brother living there, I decided that right after school, I want to head straight to NY.

Now I know that most students stay where they are at, find something to do, and contact company's looking to hire via telephone, e-mail, and/or postal mail. While I know this is a tedious, yet secure way...it seems something I really can't see myself doing.

Call me impatient, idiotic, or whatever, I don't care. I just feel that I need to take a risk. All my life I lived in Fl. and did nothing there, my father knows someone in the ad. business down in Fl. and mentioned how I could just work there. But the whole point of me going to Arizona was to get away from home, and I personally don't find myself going back. I guess what it comes down to, what is your thoughts on this issue. Granted I have a year left, and a lot can happen, I would still like to think what you guys say.
    "You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." - Tyler Durden

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Do it.

Thanks
    Ditto.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    You got three for "Do it".

Thanks
    Thanks for the responses and support.

Knowing it's a year till I decide, it's a lot of time, problem is, is that it goes by too fast. Talked to an instructor and he supported it as well. Afterwards, for the hell of it, I went on a few job listings site to see what some graphic design firms/clients/whatever look for when hiring a graphic artist. Well, seeing as this is a gimmie, previous job experience is a must with practically all the job listings.

So I phone my folks and tell them this alternative scenario then. What if I go back home for a year in order to work for the friend of my father's, save up my money to get a macintosh comp (currently only own a PC), and get the job experience needed with the jobs I actually want to get when I eventually move to NY.
    "You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." - Tyler Durden