Geisha sketch
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Geisha sketch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Geisha sketch

Hi all! Here goes my first post. (:

This is a sketch of a Geisha in the Japanese culture, and before actually starting this, I just wanted to ask for some feedback. I wanted to add a few elements related with their culture, so I'm deciding on putting a (cherry blossom) tree, which also serves as a framing for the picture.

As for the box around the Geisha, I wanted to create more interest in the picture. I was considering maybe making the outside washed out while leaving the inside in full color. Color is something I have not decided on yet, but I plan on experimenting later.

Thanks in advance!

Name:  DSC_1677.JPG
Views: 1394
Size:  383.1 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there,

Interesting start you have! It'll look good with cherry blossoms. =) I would suggest reworking the pose some tho. The top looks rather close to this persons work > http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/kyowell/geisha-ii

Her left hand holding the fan is somewhat awkward. Changing her hand so the fingers are straight out towards the paper part would make it look more natural. Like this perhaps > http://www.lonelyplanetimages.com/images/440489

I would also suggest doing some research on the Geisha, to see how the kimono fits and lays on the human form as well as the obi etc. The wiki page has some good pictures, and there is a few pics of girls dancing as well! > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geisha

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jpep For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,342 Times in 1,207 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Are you actually trying to draw a Japanese person or a causasian in Japanese costume? Because she doesn't look the slightest bit Asian. Which is fine if you're drawing an Irish girl learning Japanese dance, but kinda sad if she's supposed to be Japanese.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

5. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with vineris. Your composition is okay, but you are worrying about things that are not the biggest problems. Instead of worrying about cherry blossoms, you should be worrying about how her face is deformed and poorly constructed, how her hands and arms and body are mushy. Did you do a gestural underdrawing? Work on the pose, body language, construction of her form under the clothing, the way the drapery would fold, and of course, if she's Japanese... she needs to look Japanese, and that means you need to find more reference.

But I do think the composition could work if you deal with these issues.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MT-Mystic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all for the feedback. It's a big help.

Yes, my intention was for her to be Japanese, but when I first started sketching it, I didn't really keep it in mind so I just threw in eyes, a nose, a mouth etc. Definitely, something I'll fix.

I plan to fix everything that has been addressed, thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.