Art Order "Art Test" challenge: UPDATE 4/28 final WIP

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

***UPDATE 4/28-*** check page two for latest updates

Hello again everyone. Just read the most recent Art Order challenge and decided to put my other illustration on pause and work on this first. The challenge is to depict a soldier or town guard from the culture of a selection of character concepts. The link to the page with the art is here, towards the bottom of the article-

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Feature.a...eature/arttest

From the concept art I got an Eastern European/Central Asian kind of feel, so that's the direction I'll be going with for the soldier's clothing and armor, althoug these drawings are still too rough to really see that. I also got the impression this culture exists somewhere cold due to the character's clothing, so these pictures take place in mountainous areas or tundras.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dwilliams; April 28th, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Composition wise the two on teh right have teh flag and cape blowing the same direction as th ebackground...might want to counter them. Also values of background are too dark...same darks as in the figure and foreground.

Personally I would push for something dynamic or that had more a sense of place or narrative. Perhaps an indication of an outpost/wall/tower/citadel in distance as a secondary focal point?

I would check out how some other artists handled similar compositions - not so much theme but arrangement wise - Angus Macbride comes to mind. What I mean is I would decide if I wanted it to be a concept piece or an illustration.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really cool start. I like the middle thumb the best, but definitely keep playing with your value ranges as mentioned above. This is going to be a really cool assignment I'll be getting in on it too!

Please Sir, I'd like some more.

www.rogersewardart.com

Facebook

Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies. I've definitely been looking at some Angus McBride for this piece. I'm thinking I want this piece to be more of an illustration than concept art, since that's what I'm more interested in doing career wise. I'll play around with adding other narrative elements into the scene.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay a little update before I go to bed. I took some of the advice I got and made some adjustments to the composition. In the background towards the horizon I added a city to give the soldier a little bit more of a setting and narrative, so that it isn't a picture of just some guy on horseback in the middle of nowhere. I also changed the direction of the clouds so that it wasn't symmetrical with the flag and cape. I still might need to tweak the values a bit though- let me know what you think

Name:  thumbnailstudies2.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  137.2 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Much better imo. I was reading the large dark backdrop form as cliffs rather than clouds...really have to watch values with clouds - they're never as dark as you think.

So, a question to ask on the narrative aspect...why is he occupied with holding a big banner? I mean...it's pretty and all but? I would maybe try to think of ways to include the dynamic and identification of the banner, but in a way that fits the context just a bit better. Just a lone horseman out riding patrol with a banner doesn't make much sense.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey d. I have been tumbling ideas around in my head for this artorder too. I'm really excited that theyre looking for new talent.

I think the composition you chose is a good one. But its my opinion that the horse doesn't belong. Its blocking the character design. I know you want to do an illustration, but you sure as hell better fill the brief that Jon has asked for. And the brief is for character design, AND its for a city guard, not cavalry. EDIT: It does say 'or soldier' which is open to interpretation I guess. But I stand by the non-horse thing.

Also, why would the city guard be so far away from the city? And like Jeff said, why is he holding a big banner?

What if you take the third thumbnail. Remove the banner. Make the dark cloud shape the city wall behind him. Then have his head turned looking to the right... you know like with a vigilant gaze into the distance. And probly turn his body to the right a little so hes not straining to look to the right. BAM!

Thats my opinion

Last edited by Artfix; March 31st, 2012 at 04:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was thinking maybe the soldier was on patrol, which is why he would probably be on horseback, and the banner was just a nice compositional element to add to the piece, but I'll keep playing around with the narrative some more so that everything makes more sense.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay I think I may have found a compromise here. Instead of the soldier carrying a large banner, he's carrying a typical lance with one of those small flags on top of it, so it gets the interesting movement of the banner but also makes more sense narrative wise. I also added another soldier on horseback behind him. With the low contrast and having most of the second soldier hidden behind the lower ground I think the soldier in the foreground will still be the clear point of interest in the piece. Adding a soldier behind him I think helps the patrol narrative a bit more, as if the two are partners kind of like today's modern cops going about looking out for trouble.

Name:  thumbnailstudies3.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  140.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, really nice idea. I also like the middle composition best, though for some reason I keep trying to view it as having the horse and rider facing to the right rather than the left. Maybe I'm feeling dyslexic today.

Not much to say about narrative elements or values because they're beyond my ken at the moment. But I do like the horse in there so I think working things around that would definitely be a good idea because without it, the picture in general might lose some of its impact. For me anyway.

Also, looking at your stormy sky immediately brought Turner's "Hannibal Crossing the alps" to mind (I have a thing for Turner) so I thought I'd post an image for some possible inspiration for clouds/stormy skies etc -

Good luck with this one, and I'll be following to see how it develops.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Candra H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a great picture Candra. I'll have to look up more of Turner's work.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow that turner painting is really cool

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dwilliams View Post
    That's a great picture Candra. I'll have to look up more of Turner's work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    wow that turner painting is really cool
    Yeah, he's got some amazing work for sure, and I love how he did the sky in that one. Another good one for storms and wild skies is "Steamer in a Snowstorm" -

It's amazing what he could do with light, and he's one of my kings of cool in the painting world.

Anyway, apologies for the slight bump, I just wanted to post another Turner painting, heh.

I also spotted what Artfix said about fulfilling the brief and though he's probably right, I still think the horse really adds to the picture, for what it's worth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again! Here is the value painting. There's still some small stuff to mess with, like the patterns on the front soldier's clothing, but otherwise all of the important stuff is there in the piece.

Does the value structure work? Does the guy in the background look like he's riding up a hill, with only his top half visible, or instead does he look like he's shooting up out of the ground? Does the city/castle in the background look enough like a city? It's important to have it in there for the narrative of this piece, but I don't want it to distract the viewer from the soldiers too much. I'm trying to simplify the city to light shapes and dark shapes in the distance, but I'm not sure how well I pulled it off. Any advice would be much appreciated

Name:  valuepainting.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  357.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, really liking that sky.

This is looking great generally but there's one or two things that stood out to me. The city in the background looks like it's overlooking a lake because the ground in front is so flat. Not sure if thats intentional but if not, it might be something to think about. The further away rider looks fine so I think you got the hillside effect there, but the horse in the foreground could use some work in the head area. The browbones arent showing above/around the eyes so it makes the horse look a bit like a toy at the moment.

And since I'm in picture posting mode, here's one of a horse head thats on a similar angle to yours that might show what I mean -

Hope that helps a little and best of luck with this. I cant wait to see the colour version.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the horsehead. I was having a little trouble finding one from the right angle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing artwork

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! This is really shaping up nicely. I think your overall tone structure is good, but consider lightening the city as a whole. It could look really cool if that gap in the clouds was lighting it up all eye of the storm style.

Please Sir, I'd like some more.

www.rogersewardart.com

Facebook

Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not a big fan of the head and helmet, the rest is nice!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You might want to simplify the face a little... I dont think its important to see his teeth that much

I really like the composition you have managed to compose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really cool man. The sky is a great example of just good compositional know-how.

I think the city looks like a city. And I think the rear horseman looks like hes below a hill. So you're good on both those IMO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The rear horseman is just a wee bit too faded out to my eyes. Make his darks darker and you'll be good to go.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it" -- Confucius

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" -- Albert Einstein

Pixelestial's Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the underpainting with some revisions. I found a good reference for a russian helmet for the soldier's face, which I think looks a little better than the previous version. I also rendered the soldier in the background a bit more, as well as rendering the front horse's head some more. I'm still not sure how much I like the city in the background, but I'll probably just keep touching that up as I go along. I made a bunch of other smaller changes too- let me know what you guys think.

Next step is the color study. I'll probably do something with a very cool color palette to help reinforce the coldness of the environment they live in.

Name:  valuestudy.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  439.3 KB

I should have some color studies up sometime tomorrow. Thanks for taking a look!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i stilll think the head needs work. im also not sure he has a neck.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah the face needs more rendering to it, but his silhouette of his neck is covered up by the chainmail coif and fur cloak, so it's hard to see. Here is a larger picture of the soldier's head. Is it the face, the armor, or both that doesn't look right to you?

Name:  face.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  302.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah its not too bad, but the nose seems too low. also im not sure that helmet would be sitting as it is.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sketchbook
    Blog
    Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had the soldier's shoulders slanted slightly because of him carrying the lance, hence the slant to his helmet, but perhaps I should exaggerate this more or do away with it entirely.

Name:  face2.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  304.5 KB

Also I'm not sure if you're talking about the soldier's actual nose or his nose guard, but I based the helmet off of Russian helmets I found during my research. I figured this change would make the helmet look a little less like your standard Viking helmet with a nose guard. Here is an excellent illustration by Angus McBride I was looking at.

Name:  kni9.jpg
Views: 3610
Size:  229.7 KB

I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If the focus is on the soldier I think you are losing it by covering up his face. In the McBride illustration I look at the middle figure, the ones to either side are less noticeable, if I am making myself clear.

You might want to consider removing the nosepiece and lowering the chainmail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's an interesting point Craig D. I'll have to do some more work with the soldier's head gear.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok fair point with the sholders i should have really picked up on that. however the neck still reads awkwardly. the weight of the helmet would possibly be forcing the head down and the spine to arc but its hard to show that with the angle and all those cloths. i still think he could do with a higher head indicating more of a neck... or try and make it look as if hes leaning forwards.

by nose i ment his actual nose. at first i thought it looked too low, but after looking at your line its ok. but the rendering looks very flat, try indicating the plane is changing rather than just a outline. also maybe a slight form shange under the eye socket/cheekbone.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Facebook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1