Sketchbook: Narrenzauber's Junk Box
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Narrenzauber's Junk Box

Hi everyone!

I was lurking around this page for quite a while like, uhm, I guess a lot of other people here.

I am drawing since 10 years for now, so I don't have any newby excuse. That's also a reason why I am pretty much excited. But hey, the worst case scenario would be, that someone is telling me, that I still have a lot to work on, which I know perfectly well. ._.

At the moment I don't really know how good or bad I am really are. The only thing I know is, that I am not as good as I wanted to be right now and I am kind of stuck. I guess one reason is my too limited visual library, which I want to extend and my lack of practise. Yes, I admit it... I am kinda lazy... Oh my... But I want to change it and I want to improve.

For me drawing and painting is a hobby, but an important one. I don't know if I want to sell my skill and work later in my life, but right now I am not good enough for it anyway. So I am more focusing to bring personal concepts and stories to life with my works, which is also the reason why I started drawing at all.

I have uploades some stuff I made this year (from January to March). As you can see in my uploaded works I am working with different media, like the pencil, coloured pencils, acrylics, water colours, oil pastels and Photoshop. Later I am planning to do some coal studies, but the sheets of paper for this is still in preparation.
    (The last painting, with the man on it, the pink one... Don't take it too seriously, it was just for fun. ^^" )

And for the things I think I need to work on... Well I don't want to list them now, because I want to know your thoughts, which aren't influenced by me.

Oh and one thing I want to mention: English is not my mother toungue. So if there is something you don't understand, because I messed it up, just tell me and I will try to explain it in a better and more correct way.

Attached Images Attached Images                          
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, now you've seen some works from this year, but no really new ones and I want to show you that I am wiling to practise.

I am still trying to figure out how the body of a bird works. So I make some sketches from time to time and I really like barn owls. At the moment I find nearly everything else more interesting than the human body. I guess it's because I studied the human body quite some time and I need to do other things right now. I know I still have to practice the human body and I will, but not now.

What you can see here: birds. Ah... yes... No, I really just wanted to tell you how I worked. You see two sheets of paper, where I worked with some pencils. It's a bit messy, because normally I am just working with line art. So I need some practise with shading.
    On the digital "paper" the first two owls have the same reference, but one is done just with lines and the other is made just with shapes and colours. Since a while I had trouble selecting colours correctly in the digital media, but hadn't any problem with traditional medias. It seems that it's not a problem anymore. ._. Well, let's see.
    The last line art is not as detailed as I wished it to be, but the reference was too small, but I really liked the flying pose. >.< So I used it. Next time I will work with a bigger one, where I can see the details, especially on the wings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are some nice owl studies. The way I see it, animals (including birds) aren't really all that different from humans in terms of underlying structure. Maybe you can look at some bird skeletons to get more comfortable with their proportions?

My Sketchbook - All are welcome

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My favourite is the mage lady in blue. That piece looks so time-consuming. And the lighting. I'd have no idea how to do that.

Post more.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sasha Fietskova For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ IntoTheVoid
    Actually looking at the skeleton of a bird and drawing it, to understand it, was the first thing I did, when I started to study birds, but it didn't hurt to repeat it and while comparing the two drawings, I realized, that I understand the proportion of a bird better than half a year ago. Still, I have my problems with birds. I guess it is because of the feathers. They can change the basic shape drastically, for example when birds fluff their feathers. Maybe it's just a matter of experience.

The second page did take quite a time. <.< When I am drawing or painting faces, I have a mistake there, but I don't know what it is. So I did some faces. One without a reference (to see what I already know) and the other two with references like you can see. I postet the photos next to the paintings. As you see I have problems to get the proportions of the reference right. I need to practise it, but this issue can be solved with every subject I want.

@Sasha Devina
    It took me something between 20 and 30 hours. So, yes it was time consuming. And it was hard to keep working on it.

Thank you two for the comments!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know what you mean about feathers; I could never manage to get wings to look convincing enough.
    You managed to capture a lot of expression in those faces. Reminds me of the subtle changes Norman Rockwell made to his illustrations.
    I think you might be rushing a bit into the painting stage before the underdrawing is complete. Try measuring the shapes using negative space. Flipping the picture around as you work can also help.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, negative space. I tried it out today. Yeah, I see the advantages. But what do you mean with starting painting too early? I start rendering, when defined the basic shape of the object.

Today wasn't my day. I did a fast creature design, which I had in my mind, but there is something missing, so I guess I will do one more later, when I get the idea to make the creature more satisfying for me. Then there is a cat painting, which I havn't finished, because I lost motivation and the idea I had become moring to me. And at last there is a photostudy, where I tried out painting over the negative space. Well, uhm I guess I need to study the basics of a cats head, before making photo studies. There are also some gestures. Just doodling around and thinking about an interesting pose for on character, who doesn't exist yet, but I have a vague idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Narrenzauber View Post
    But what do you mean with starting painting too early? I start rendering, when defined the basic shape of the object.
    Oh, sorry, I should have clarified that one. I think it's pretty common procedure, but you might be using a different workflow. Do you put down any guiding lines before you start rendering? I ask because on the faces you posted, the positioning of all the parts is just a tiiiiiny bit askew, each one compounding the next. What I meant by "starting too early" was that it might be solved by ensuring the guiding lines are all accurate before you starting painting.

The latest owl piece is very dynamic! I look forward to seeing it progressing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that creature looks quite scary O_O I love your bird studies from post #2. especially the owls, they look amazing!

and this piece: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1333104081 its really interesting.

keep up the good work!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lagarto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much for the comments. In the next time I won't be able to update much, because of lack of time, but I will at least use the time I have for studying. So, let's say, I try to update at least 2 times a week. And today I won't show much, so sorry, but I need to adjust to the new situation. After this I should be able to post more. Well, it's all about time management

@IntoTheVoid
    Normally I use guide lines, but while painting I don't use them often, because I am flipping the image around to find mistakes and it helps alot. But I guess I should use them more often. It helps to keep the eyes on one line for example. Thx for the reminder.

@Lagarto
    Thx. I am happy that you like this artwork. It took me quite a while to finish it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, mate. You certainly picked up this sketchbook with the right attitude, it's good to see people so positive.
    You've got some interesting ideas, 'fraid you're right when you said you need to dig back into the basics, I say when you get into a schedual though, studies are really theraputic.

Nice colours you're using though. 'specially on the cat! Though, it wouldn't do you harm to pick on a refference of cats and rework what you have.
    People often build ideas from the top of their heads, then do several animal studies before revising the design. It means your ideas are still fresh and your own, but you can build onto them with more of an understanding for animal anatomy and all that.

No more crits from me really, just keep up the good work and welcome to CA

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting work, my friend, good colors. I second Naidy's crits.
    Good luck!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to WRappiii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you both for the comments!

@Naidy
    You are certainly right. First of all: Never did really some studies about cats, so I can't draw them correct yet, but it will change during the next month. But I have a long list. The last years I concentrated so much on humans, that I wasn't able to practise animals. But I will make studies!
    About the usage of references: When I am working on a bigger work, for example, I sketch my idea and maybe to start painting. When I realize that there is a mistake, which I can't fix myself, I am looking for references to see what the mistake is and how it would like correct. So I am not afraid of using references. ^^ I hope it doesn't appear like that! ._.
    And about the part that making studies is therapeutic: Yup, you're right! One can learn a lot plus you can get inspired, too. :] Like I say to mayself and friends: You can't get an idea, if you don't have any hint that something like this even exists. Ideas are building up on each other.

So and here some studies and two images from monday. Narf... Within the week I really don't have much time. >.< I need to do something about that...

Used media: pencil on the little sketches I did during luch break; oil pastels, pastels and charcoal on the skulls and my character.
    The bald headed man is one of my characters. I need to redesign him, because I am not sure how his scar and eye should look like, but I wanted to draw him. Will post his developement later.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, thought I'd return the favor! Good workin' so far . Take your time for your studies; they look like you may be rushing them to be done, but remember why you're doing them. Learn as much as you can from each observation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://attachments.conceptart.org/fo...1&d=1333729568 I really like this sketch, her nose is more defined than in the painting, and I think it shows her personality a bit better. Absolutely heart her outfit btw.

I noticed it's a recurring character, is there a story behind her?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heyy! after so much feedbak you gave me i fnally had time to reciprocate the favor! I think you're doing pretty good! i'd advise some more anatomy studies in both human and animal, take your time, don't worry about that, learn asmuch as you can, nevertheless you're doing pretty good, I rreally like the colors you're using, awesome!! keep it up

"lives to draw, draws to live"

Sketchbook

Blogspot

DeviantArt

Members who have read this thread: 1