Sketchbook: Dan's Sketchbook - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right, so I haven't been on here in ages! My bad.
    Well, I've had exams so as far as excuses go... but now they're over (nearly) so e expecting updates regularly!
    If i don't provide feel free to give me abuse and kick me into doing so work :L

Now enough of the excuses, onto the update Sketchbook work from yesterday and finished off today. Kindof got a little bit obsessed with Alice In Wonderland so i ended up drawing The Hatter and The Cheshire Cat. May continue with this and do them all. figured i should just do studies of absolutely everything so I'm learning lots of different skills.

Dan's Sketchbook

Really appreciate all crits and comments, expect a constant stream of bad work that you can crit to help me Cheers

Check out my thread if you get a chance
    Sketckbook
    DeviantART
    Cheers, Dan
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aw, i wish i would have more time, too
    however, great update you got here
    the values are coming along very nice
    and a wonderful movie for sure
    keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers braineater, i appreciate it
    Time is definitely something a need to find more of, just stop wasting it really

Just a small one. Sketch of The Dormouse from Alice In Wonderland. I spent so long on this sketch, wanted to get the proportions as close as possible. still not quite right. Will probably colour it tomorrow if i get a chance amongst revising for my last exam on wednesday. We shall see.
    So basically after wednesday this thing should be flowing with sketches. hopefully.

Dan's Sketchbook

Sketckbook
    DeviantART
    Cheers, Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work on the redhead. Your portraits are really coming along.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers Shorinji_Knight The redhead is my favourite too, probably because I spent the longest amount of time on it

I keep starting things and then just leaving them... this is probably bad.

Anyway, heres the update

First off an absolutely awful study of Alice (Alice in Wonderland). I could spend ages trying to make it right or i might just bin in and move on

Dan's Sketchbook

Then a bear study which has been sat on my desktop unfinished for ages, still need to add some details but thought i should post it anyway.

Dan's Sketchbook

Then an update on the Dormouse sketch I've been working on. Decided to try out colouring pencils (trying new techniques and that). Man they're difficult! it probably didn't help that i decided to do an animal with withe fur so i had to do nearly all the fur by working with negative space. DIFFICULT. Anyway, I should continue with this one and see how it turns out

Dan's Sketchbook

Comments and Crits hugely appreciated as always Thanks guys

Sketckbook
    DeviantART
    Cheers, Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quite a productive day today put some finishing touches on the bear and a study of The Queen. It seemed appropriate seeing as its the jubilee, even if I'm not that interested in it, it seemed like as good a thing to study as any. Also, i noticed i hadn't done any studies of any old or young people so it made a change

The bear. It was pretty much just trying to figure out how to paint fur, i still don't really know, can anyone help with this?

Dan's Sketchbook

Now a step by step of The Queen. Maybe someone will be able to tell me what I'm doing well / badly this way
    I also tried a different method, instead of doing an initial sketch i went straight in with blocking in the colours and getting the outline this way, worked well i think

Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

I moved her head so that i could zoom in to do the details whilst still being able to see the reference
    Dan's Sketchbook

I think it was about this stage that it dawned on me that i hadn't flipped the canvas at all during the painting Could explain why its not very accurate
    Dan's Sketchbook

Body. Hands are difficult.
    Dan's Sketchbook

Fur was a nightmare, just like the bear. HOW??
    Dan's Sketchbook

Final result. Could have done with some more work on details but the day has finished
    Dan's Sketchbook

Sketckbook
    DeviantART
    Cheers, Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick update, 1 hour black and white study. I felt like spending less time on something and also felt i should step back from colour for a bit so i combined the two

Dan's Sketchbook

Sketckbook
    DeviantART
    Cheers, Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With the queen, she looks rather desaturated. Look more closely at the colour of her skin -- she's got more of a reddish tone in the reference, and her shirt is a lot pinker. Unfocus your eyes and look at the two side by side (or take off your glasses if you're myopic, like me) and you'll see what I mean. The reference is a lot brighter.

Otherwise, it's a (relatively) simple matter of measurement and proportion and so on, like how in the reference more of her necklace is hidden than in your painting.

The black and white study looks great. That's an intense gaze/angle there, that must hve been fun to paint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    16 years ... this is impressive! keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man loomis sketches are awesome on first page, keep those up !
    Also, you seem to have a particular affinity with colours ( traditional is yet better than digital, but you will get some skill with practicing photoshop, just a matter of time ! ) , your color choices are working like a charm !
    Your faces are really improving so keep doing some !

Ho and yeah, you have got a pretty amount of work right here, never feel ashamed of the quantity you produce. But get MOAAAAR of them, always ! :p

(Ho and yeah², you're 16. That's amazing. Just stick at drawing, be patient, do not draw only in the wait of some improvement, HAVE FUN, and you will be a pure beast !)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies going on here! I love how the dormouse is coming along.
    One thing I think might help: you need to embrace repetition. Like, that last b&w study you did was great, but you'd learn even more if you did about four or five like that in a row. Repetition really hammers the knowledge into your skull better than anything else
    Also, I wanna see more stuff from your imagination! Studies are great as long as you keep applying them to your own work. Do nothing but copy (life, photos, masters etc) You'll become amazing... at copying. Studies are a means to an end, not a be-all-end-all. Start doing personal stuff and test how much you've actually learnt!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yay for exams being over !

still got mine in about 2 weeks.........fml

but anyways, onto art tings
    good rendering with alice in wonderland but you've lost the foundation there as the anatomy and form are both missing from his face, softly rendering parts won't cover up a lack of form. Try studying some faces and doing anatomy studies w/ form/blocks w/ bridgeman or other anatomy books, loomis, bammes
    Dan's Sketchbook

another thing that should be worked on is your color theory, right now your colors are looking pretty bland and washed out, definitely do some studies with that and just wondering but are you using the eyedropper tool?
    your values look okay but with colors read up on some tutorials on deviantart and try and do some color studies from life! remember, reflected light, always shade with colors and not simply more lighter/darker versions of the same color.

Light depending on the environment, contains yellows generally and shadows contain cool colors like purples/blues

carry on!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks everyone! Seriously appreciate all of your comments, so much love!

Literally just typed out nice long replies to all of your lovely comments and then my crappy computer goes and decides to crash. Anyway, here we go (again)

Umbravita - Yeh i know what you mean about the colours, they always seem to be off. I guess if i notice the colours wrong at the start and change it then i won't get to the point i usually do where i feel its too late to change it. will definitely try unfocussing, squinting and stepping back from the painting far more often to make sure every things going write and I'm not just going off putting detail into something which is wrong from the start. Cheers for the pointer
    The black and white one was fun to do, good setting a time limit and a cool reference always helps

el eiko one - Thankyou! Appreciate the comment, you're too kind

Shad - Cheers, kind of slipped out of doing them getting back in to doing them now though.
    Yeh, i do like the traditional colours, I guess I'm better when i have an actual palette with actual paints i can mix up, but digital colours will come in some more time i hope
    Thanks, don't think I'm going to stop doing them anytime soon, the problem is getting myself do do something other than them!
    Yeh need more, always. still wasting way too much of my time, but getting better
    Too kind yeh thats a good point, ill definitely keep that in mind, thank you so much

Jessibelle - Cheers, i should really do some more on that some time soon.
    Yeh i see your point, i need to make sure of what I've learnt rather than just doing something as a one off and then leaving it. Ill definitely keep that in mind
    I guess I've never really done any of my own work, guess I'm not really confident enough to think of an idea and be able to put it down on paper. then again if i don't try i guess ill never know! cheers for the pointer, hopefully you'll be seeing something (even if awful) of my own on here soon

Duplicitious - Its so nice Oh well, not long to go - Good luck!
    Yeh i see what you mean now, looking back. his face just looks flat rather than having any form. I definitely need to get back into anatomy, slipped away from it and i guess its showing.
    Ive never really looked at colour theory, i guess its something i need to learn about. Ill check it out! Yeh, i understand. cheers for the tips! will definitely be keeping this stuff in mind now

Seriously appreciate all of your comments, got loads of stuff to work on now, better get cracking! Cheers for the motivation

Anyway, on to the update!

White queen quick study, more lack of form. really should have changed it but i moved on.
    Dan's Sketchbook

Eyes study. Haven't done anything with pencils in a while. They are meant to be a pair but apparently i can't draw two things the same size
    Dan's Sketchbook

Very quick hand study. What kind of fool starts a study that won't fit on the page? lol.
    Dan's Sketchbook

Loomis hands, entirely unimpressive but getting back into anatomy
    Dan's Sketchbook

Imagination heads, seeing what i can remember from when i did that loomis stuff which seems like it was ages ago!
    Dan's Sketchbook

Imagination...
    Dan's Sketchbook

Also I've been doing a werewolf study, something a bit different for me which is fun should be up in the next few days
    Oh and i did some proportions stuff and other stuff that i didn't save by using Sycra's Youtube. Love his work and will probably be looking at a lot more of his videos in the future. Check him out

Again, thank you kind people for stopping by! You're all welcome back any time

Sketckbook
    DeviantART
    Cheers, Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres the werewolf I've been working on for a few days. Put quite a lot of time in to this and pretty happy how it turned out wanted to work on something other than a portrait. also was looking at backlighting which looks soo awesome all the time! oh and fur needed work. so here it is

Dan's Sketchbook

Sketckbook
    DeviantART
    Cheers, Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your proportions have improved drastically. Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bunch of hands and also a bunch of imagination heads in pencil that i haven't got photos of.

Dan's Sketchbook

Sketckbook
    DeviantART
    Cheers, Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Started a live stream with my brother - check it out if you fancy

http://www.livestream.com/apairofbullocks

Cheers

Sketckbook
    DeviantART
    Cheers, Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so I've been attempting to do some imagination stuff no idea what I'm doing tbh but i guess i need to keep doing it to get better At school we've had to choose our own project so i chose to do fantasy which means ill need to be having ideas and putting them on paper, slightly worrying because i can't do it for shit at the moment but i guess ill improve so much more than if i just do portraits over and over.

so imagination page:
    Dan's Sketchbook

and a photo manipulating of an idea. i don't know :/
    Dan's Sketchbook

Then I've been doing a bunch of anatomy studies. started looking at bridgman stuff so these are from him
    Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Crits and comments hugely appreciated, cheers

Last edited by DanBK; June 18th, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
    Sketckbook
    DeviantART
    Cheers, Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PERSPECTIVE!!!

so yeh, first attempt at doing perspective. Going quite well (i think). drawing rectangles is fine, you don't need any other shapes, right?
    Ive been using this tutorial. Loving it, definitely check it out.

On to the work, pretty self explanatory i guess, going from 1, 2, 3 points to attempting to draw ellipsis

One and two point
    Dan's Sketchbook

Three point
    Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

1, 2 and 3 point and applying perspective to life
    Dan's Sketchbook
    should do some more from life perspective, that stuffs complicated!

Basic shadows
    Dan's Sketchbook

Shadows and finding the centre
    Dan's Sketchbook

Ellipsis
    Dan's Sketchbook
    My god these are difficult, more work needed

Crits and comment are always welcome if theres something I'm blatantly doing wrong call me out on it and ill love you forever!
    Thanks for looking

Sketckbook
    DeviantART
    Cheers, Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished my first sketchbook! first of many, hopefully

More perspective stuff
    Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Attempting to make poses interesting using one of sycras youtube videos
    Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Self portrait attempts - they're difficult! but ill keep doing them, and they'll get better
    Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Spider study - studying random things, mainly smaller animals and bugs because they look creepy as hell and it'll hopefully help with my project because its just like taking things out of normal scale and making them huge so you can actually see the details.
    Dan's Sketchbook

Still life of a small tube paint - need to do far more from life
    Dan's Sketchbook

Fly study, i think its a horse fly but not sure
    Dan's Sketchbook

No new digital stuff but I'm currently working on an acrylic painting and doing as much sketchbook stuff as i can make myself do

Crits and comments welcome, thanks for looking

Sketckbook
    DeviantART
    Cheers, Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update:

Self portrait 3 - For this one i did the basic outline and then my computer died and because i was using photo booth rather than a mirror i decided to continue on from imagination. It was good to do, more and more imagination stuff to come (thats the plan anyway)
    Dan's Sketchbook

Snake from ref
    Dan's Sketchbook

Full imagination, i don't even know :s
    Dan's Sketchbook

Self portrait 4 - mirror. The best so far, but still plenty that needs to be worked on
    Also, i was trying out a new technique of getting the shading lines to follow the form which was difficult but it looks so cool when its done right so ill continue working on that
    Dan's Sketchbook

Finally, some Bridgman studies
    Dan's Sketchbook

Thanks for stopping by

Sketckbook
    DeviantART
    Cheers, Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Instead of doing a normal self portrait i decided to draw my individual features. This meant that i spent far more time on each feature making them a lot better rather than spending less time per feature when i was doing the whole face.
    Using a mirror is really useful
    Dan's Sketchbook

Also a page of only imagination. Some of the drawings i was trying to apply what i had learnt from my self portraits and some i was just letting my mind wonder whilst trying to have some control so that it doesn't end up as just random squiggles on the page
    Dan's Sketchbook

Crits and comments hugely appreciated! Thanks to looking

Sketckbook
    DeviantART
    Cheers, Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Imagination landscapes
    Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Alien eye study
    Dan's Sketchbook

Line sketches from landscape photos
    Dan's Sketchbook

Quick boat studies
    Dan's Sketchbook

Sketckbook
    DeviantART
    Cheers, Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there
    i see a lot of various things since the last time i took a look in here
    your rendering rocks as always (this one is amazing!)
    i also think that your proportions keep getting better (something i totally fail with )
    it's great to see you doing those landscape thumbs, too

keep on rockin'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cheers brain eater Its awesome that you're noticing things that I'm actively trying to improve, makes me feel like I'm getting somewhere

Been so bad with posting here so this is quite a large sketchbook dump. Still not doing enough but the work ethic is slowly improving (i think)

self portrait 5
    Dan's Sketchbook

imagination
    Dan's Sketchbook

quick photo studies
    Dan's Sketchbook

Trying my luck with pen
    imagination
    Dan's Sketchbook

photo studies
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook

1 study and some imagination
    Dan's Sketchbook

quick sketches from life, all of the same person
    Dan's Sketchbook

study
    Dan's Sketchbook

from ref (is it a study if I'm not trying to copy it exactly e.g. changing a full colour photo into black and white?)
    Dan's Sketchbook

Mirror stuff and quick study
    Dan's Sketchbook

study
    Dan's Sketchbook

Sketckbook
    DeviantART
    Cheers, Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, and I almost forgot, I've got a bunch of oil paint from school to use over the summer so will be experimenting with that as well

Just experiments at the moment, getting used to it. Will probably produce some finished work with it at some point

super quick studies from a book I've been reading called 'Paint the Sea in Oils Using Special Effects'
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook

Still life
    Dan's Sketchbook

Study, will probably put some more work into it later - this was very rough and quick and experimental
    Dan's Sketchbook
    don't know why it came out rotated :/ sorry

Thanks for stopping by
    Crits and comments always appreciated

Sketckbook
    DeviantART
    Cheers, Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quite a big one again!

A whole load of studies, first pencil then watercolour
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook

Now imagination, quite like sketching in watercolour
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook

Crits and comments much appreciated
    Thanks to stopping by

Sketckbook
    DeviantART
    Cheers, Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, your improvement in this sketchbook is coming along in leaps! Dedication's really paying off I mean, in just one page, look at the incredible difference in the quality of your pencil work! Inspiring, man.
    It's great to see you paying so much attention to your drawing skills; working in pen too, that'll really help your line control and how you think about putting marks on the page. I know what you mean about working from imagination, it's difficult and frustrating and kinda scary in a way that studies aren't... It's something I struggle with too. But it's way more rewarding and satisfying, and in the end the studies are just the means to an end, it's the personal stuff that's the real important stuff. :')
    I'm seeing lots of portraits... they're real fun, but any chance we could see some full figures from you? Also, more stuff from life is good. Other than that, you're doing great, keep it going! Already looking forward to checking back to this sketchbook again soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jessibelle - thanks so much for your lovely comment its good to see that you can tell why I'm doing what I'm doing, makes me think that I'm actually doing the right thing rather than just blagging it
    Good idea, i think I've been telling myself that i would start doing full figures for a while and i should really stop putting it off! Thank you so much, gives me another little burst of confidence

On to the update:

Stuff from imagination
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook

Quick animal studies with some imagination faces mixed in
    Dan's Sketchbook

Portait studies, each page has many different view of the same person in an attempt to make them look more accurate and like one another
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook

Portrait studies of famous people, again in an attempt to make my drawings looking like the actual person. 10 points if you can guess who any of them are
    Dan's Sketchbook

quick bike studies, a start to moving into full figures rather than just portraits
    Dan's Sketchbook

Crits and comments appreciated

Sketckbook
    DeviantART
    Cheers, Dan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1