Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Mirapakai Sketch book

Hi folks... I've been lurking around concept art for very long with out posting any thing because I am too shy to show my stuff to such a talented people. Finally I understood that the only way I can improve is by sharing my work and incorporating feedback. So here is my sketch book thread... I'll be posting all kinds of rough sketches I make ... Hope hope you can shed some light on the areas that can work and improve on ... Thanks for viewing! Have a good one.
    Last edited by mirapakai; April 7th, 2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: adding a thumb nail to the post

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    What a lovely start! I particularly like the first image! Welcome along by the way (:
    The only thing I can suggest is keep going, keep studying and you'll keep getting better.. you have promising skills and a strong confident line so I'm sure you'll go far!

Thanks

Another quick sketch

A-may, Thanks for the warm welcome! I can really use some motivation and support to get back into regular painting/drawing when so many things are happening in life.
    I am planning to draw at least one sketch every day from now on... Hope I can really put it in practice... Here is today's one. I am not happy with it because of the akward facial shape but thought I should share for more expert feed back.

Thanks

Little more sketching...

back to old school graphite stuff... I am getting back up to speed much faster than I expected ..
    Last edited by mirapakai; April 4th, 2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Better Photo...

Thanks
    Aaah, the old battle with confidence. I know that one too well... having a hard time with that myself.

But you're talented, clearly! Just keep at it. You seem to recognize your own mistakes anyways.

And that cross-hatching is looovely.

Quick question, what do you draw first in your sketches (the full-bodied ones, specifically)? It seems that in the second and fourth image, the main proportion problems are in the head/face. I'm not sure what kind of under-drawing you do. Would you mind telling me??

Keep up the lovely work!
    CA Sketchbook|Portfolio Website
    Always available for commissions and inquiries.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PeopleEveryday For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleEveryday View Post
    Aaah, the old battle with confidence. I know that one too well... having a hard time with that myself.

But you're talented, clearly! Just keep at it. You seem to recognize your own mistakes anyways.

And that cross-hatching is looovely.

Quick question, what do you draw first in your sketches (the full-bodied ones, specifically)? It seems that in the second and fourth image, the main proportion problems are in the head/face. I'm not sure what kind of under-drawing you do. Would you mind telling me??

Keep up the lovely work!

PeopleEveryday - Thank you for exactly correct diagnosis of my two problems .
    First one - I lost confidence because I stayed away from drawing for years and I am trying to get back. I became good at painting but not drawing any thing reasonable for 6 years really made my hand rusty. I've been painting though.

And the other one is, my never ending issue with proportions. I tried all sorts of techniques and did not have much luck. I don't have a specific part That I start with but now that you made me think,... I think I mostly start with head or occasionally torso. My biggest mistake should be the fact that I draw at least one part of the body in detail before I make a full under drawing and it leads to bad proportions.

Thanks for the hint that made me think . I'll employ this remedy next time and show you how I improved.

Thanks

another mishap

did this one in a hurry ... under 30 min. again screwed up the proportions. left hand size is too small compared to her face and body... oh god! will I ever get better with proportions? not much time to correct it now any way. But starting to see the benefit of spending more time in under drawing.. but too tempted to implement it in full yet.

thats it for today.. c ya later tmrw.

Note to self: I see so many talented people here and their progress with persistance. I need to to draw more , more and more...
    Reply from the Inner being beyond the 7th chakra : where the hell would you find time for that you idiot? ;-)
    Last edited by mirapakai; April 4th, 2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: typo..

Thanks
    boy, these are really good! id love to see more. do you do any digital painting?

Thanks

Here is some of my old stuff to give you a idea ...

Manhands - Thank you man! I am not as bad with other stuff as I am with anatomy & Proportions... Here is some of my old digital and water color stuff. Hope you like'em. (Last 3 are Traditional pieces by the way. first two in the last 3 are water colors and the last one is a oil paint study on 4x3 feet stretched canvas). Currently I don't have a tablet and I am waiting for my new wacom intuos large to be shipped. it is going to be some time before I post any new digital stuff.

I want to shamelessly announce that most of the sketches under these paintings (both traditional and digital) are either traced with a projector done with a grid. I was always a mentally handicapped person when it comes to proportions and human anatomy.when ever I think of drawing a full figure with out the assistance of grid or projector, I used to get this feeling of some thing being stuck in my throat and avoided the sketching free hand part. It used to show in my concepts too... So I finally manned up and said I don't want to run away from my fears any more ... I want to face'em and learn some anatomy and proportions. Hope this gives you a good Idea about my skill level with other mediums and my serious problem with Anatomy.

Thanks for viewing. Hope you enjoy them.

Thanks

Here are today's doodles

ohkay... did learn a little from A-may's hint. now I am refraining my self from adding any details before I finish a proportional under drawing. looks it is working better (see the first drawing of lady with bath tub).

On the other hand, I am not able to fit facial features if I make a under drawing but able to draw body better than beore. (see the 2nd image).... Not sure what to do now. am I missing a point here or is this just a part of the progress ? (I mean loosing the ability to render faces proportionally when doing a under drawing to improve body proportions) Any pointers ?

Thanks for viewing my experiments. Have a good one...
    Those who dream touch the stars....
    Sketch Book

Thanks

No body to help with my problem yet ?

No body to help with my problem of not being able to fit faces for under drawing yet ?

any ways. I am going to work a little more on my anatomy proportions before I worry about putting convincing faces on anatomically better bodies. In the same spirit , here are some gesture drawings...
    Sketch Book

Thanks
    A loose study of William Whitaker's painting on colored paper... I made the stupid mistake of drawing on a scrapbook. each of my white charcoal strokes started lifting fibers of the paper away making it really frustrating. but I still enjoyed it. I couldn't correct the hand proportion because the paper is already destroyed and I cant do much in that area. please let me know if you notice any thing else so that I can fix it when I try this next on a better quality paper. Thanks for viewing...
    Sketch Book

Thanks
    Hey really nice stuff! The rendering is very good. You got good sense of colors and shades.
    Since you know what you are weak at it is a good thing! Dont worry about the results ,attempt the stuff you are weak at. Even if it does not come out how you expect it to , you will learn a lot from it. Anatomy and proportions are something that is every artist has to go through. Its a long path in getting perfection and the learning will never end, the best you can do is to learn enjoying the process.
    Now technically, i suggest you to learn the basic human skeleton first and the underlying muscles. Learn the origings and insertions of the muscles. Once you know them it will really help in making the outer volumes. Especially to draw complex poses from head, you have to learn the muscles. You dont have to necessarily learn all the muscles, only the surface muscles will do. But learn as much as you can , and increase your knowledge about the human forms.
    While you draw from reference, do not just copy it, understand how the anatomy is twisting, draw the muscles on top of it to understand the forms. then use that knowledge to draw those forms.
    It all may seem intimidating at first, but once you start getting the hang of it, you can go for more complex stuff like foreshortening and complex dynamic poses.

I suggest books from michael hampton, andrew loomis, bridgeman to start once you know the muscles and bones.
    Oh and if you dont know about this site already, check it out , it is awesome! http://www.zygotebody.com/

Good luck with it, i ll come back to see where you go with this.
    sense of purpose
    my sketchbook

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sin eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You have some really nice work here, glad to see you trying to get back into the swing of things, I did the same but I had nearly a ten year break due to trying to earn a living as a skivy. Keep at it, it does come back and thanks for stopping by my Sketchbook.
    My Sketchbook Please have a lookie...

Thanks

Couple of quick studies...

Tomcat - Hey man thanks for stopping by and the vote of confidence. I know what you mean. I am feeling that even now. I've been speed dating at lighting speed in past few weeks that Between girl hunt & work I do hardly get any time . ;-) . But I am determined to get back to my first love,... "Drawing".

Sin Eater - Thanks for the detailed suggestions man. I picked up a copy of Loomis figure drawing. I am allocating several hours to learn and draw muslcle groups on this weekend and get back to you guys with updates.

Mean while, Its not much but here are two doodles I did after my last visit... Second one is a quick study of William Whitaker's painting. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Sketch Book

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast