Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Void's Sketchbook

Thanks
    I like what you did with the last landscape study, dinosaur rock formations! You have some inventive work here, also your observational drawings show that you think of form, they came along well.

As far as critique goes, I'd say, PARAMOUNT, remember to draw Everything in Perspective! Even if the subject matter is abstract, Always think of it in perspective, and remember to think of the "General Shape" of anything you draw.

Everything is made of shapes ---> be it fluid water or smoke, or folding paper, a train, dented piece of crumbling architecture, an ice mass, there's no difference whatsoever between these.

Also remember to think of anything you draw as a 3D object, whatever it is, you must be able to take the object in the drawing, and draw it from any angle.

Check this out, see how the drawings are almost "sculpted", you can take any of these and make a 3d clay model:

http://illustrationart.blogspot.ca/2...-drawings.html

and keep in mind symmetry of shape wherever it applies in your designs:

http:///images/view/158799/

What I mean by this is, make sure you always check that the two identical parts of an object are symmetric to each other in perspective.

Lastly, when you draw from life, don't focus on drawing what it is you see, but "understand" the underlying shapes in what you see, especially when studying anatomy and landscapes! Overall shapes, perspective, and flow. 3D

Hope this helps.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to danomatic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks a lot danomatic! I agree, and knowing everything is made of 3d shapes is still very different than actually seeing those shapes. As I mentioned a few times, the latter is something I still struggle with. But I like to think I'm gradually improving nonetheless

I'll keep a closer eye on getting the symmetry right. So far I noticed my ovals are absolutely disgraceful

Here's a super-quick object study. Lamp, tissue box, pen holder, and a shoddy little vase I made.
    My Sketchbook - All are welcome

Thanks
    A few quick raven studies from ref for a concept I want to try.
    Attachment 1461412

My apologies to Esperanza Spalding for failing to get her face right
    Attachment 1461413
    Trying out the balance between warm and cold color schemes. Sorry about the sudden change from the neck down - I wanted to see the contrast

Thanks
    The vase looks pretty good, best out of those sketches on that piece of paper I'd say (with my poor, unskilled eyes!). Elliptical and oval shapes are a bi***.

What's the raven concept idea like?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JulieSS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    nice ravens!

I also really post 50, the monochrome woman study, very nice progress.

As for faces, I think it's just a matter of consistent practice, really go for and target things you find difficult to draw.

With environments and concepts, maybe learn a little bit about perspective, David Chelsea's book 'perspective for comic book artists' is particularly good.

keep up the good work

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ Hunin - Thanks! I'll check out that book.
    Heh, the category of "things I find difficult to draw" is pretty huge still, so it's a safe bet that anything I post counts as practicing something I'm bad at
    Well, practice is technically the least efficient way to learn something, but I'm in no rush, and this is a very helpful community, so either way works for me.

@ Julie - Yeah, the vase is the one I took by far the most time with. At least 20 minutes. Though I still feel the box is the one I screwed up the least.
    What's the raven concept idea like?
    Ah, thanks for asking: I was thinking of maybe something like this, except with (hopefully!) a better composition.
    Attachment 1461701

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, practice is technically the least efficient way to learn something, but I'm in no rush, and this is a very helpful community, so either way works for me.
    What's the most effective way to learn? I know it's not just hours, drawing is a thinking mans art...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunin View Post
    What's the most effective way to learn? I know it's not just hours, drawing is a thinking mans art...

That one's gonna depend greatly on one's personal learning style, but speaking very generally, efficient learning requires pinpointing "root weaknesses" (I forget the official term). Basically, any person learning something will have any number of gaps in their knowledge or flaws in their technique. These gaps and flaws are not all equal.
    A simple example is when someone is learning how to swim: you can tell them how to angle their legs, and arms, and the flow of movement, and breath control etc etc. Or you can just tell them to straighten their back. 90% of the time, everything else falls into place once they learn to do just that one thing.
    It's a much better solution than playing whack-a-mole with one's weaknesses, but it also requires a good deal of insight. That insight is one of the reasons many of us came here to CA

Hope that made sense to you. I'll be happy to clarify anything you're curious about.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like the philosophy of the weaknesses, something I will ponder.

Its coming along nicely though man, I like the "When enviros dont work, draw faces in the rocks and then create a manicorn" mentality you had up there.
    I suck at enviros too, I also suck at alot of other things, but its a long drawn out process, afterall if it was easy I dont think it would be nearly as interesting
    DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ Jaik - Cheers man And looking at it another way: It's because it's so interesting that I'm willing to overlook it not being easy. Nothing beats those little moments when I notice I'm sucking a little less than before

Saw a Rorschach inkblot that looked (to my disturbed mind) like two elephants high-fiving each other with their trunks. Had to try sketching that motif. It took an oddly sweet turn.
    Attachment 1462222

Thanks
    I've actually never played any of the pokemon games myself, but this seemed like fun practice for creatures so here's a bunch of pencil sketches. Some are copied from ref, some are improvised.
    Attachment 1462552
    Attachment 1462553
    Attachment 1462554
    Attachment 1462555

I tried drawing a landscape more spontaneously, without thinking much about what I'm doing or what the end product would be. It worked surprisingly well for but a brief moment... until I thought "Hey, this is actually starting to look like something! I better not screw it up!" And then of course I did
    So basically it worked well until it started working well... heh, getting closer
    Attachment 1462558

Thanks
    [QUOTE=IntoTheVoid;3435964
    I tried drawing a landscape more spontaneously, without thinking much about what I'm doing or what the end product would be. It worked surprisingly well for but a brief moment... until I thought "Hey, this is actually starting to look like something! I better not screw it up!" And then of course I did
    So basically it worked well until it started working well... heh, getting closer [/QUOTE]

I can fully understand you Well at least you try, and it's getting better each time. I don't know why but landscapes seem to me so complicated than I never even try, like something you can only do when you mastered a bunch of stuffs...
    So, don't be too harsh with yourself, good job !

By the way, I like your elephants ^^ maybe more the little ones.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Theotenai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The latest landscape is looking interesting, but everything seems to be the same value. Try throwing some really bright lights and dark tones into the point of interest of the painting, to direct the viewers eye and add interest.

I used to love playing pokemon, and drawing them too as a kid. Other kids in school used to do good copies and sell them for 50p!

efficient learning requires pinpointing "root weaknesses" (I forget the official term). Basically, any person learning something will have any number of gaps in their knowledge or flaws in their technique. These gaps and flaws are not all equal.
    problem is most people can't find their weaknesses, or they avoid doing anything difficult completely and stick to their comfort zone (I'm guilty of that too, that and, procrastination) Thanks for your insights
    Last edited by Hunin; April 18th, 2012 at 07:47 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunin For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast