Sketchbook: Void's Sketchbook - Page 4

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Turned out good man, not sure whats going on with the EoW, I dont enter, but I like to follow along with what the current topic is, from the look of things, this last one has really stalled for some reason.. no idea why

Only crit I can give for this (not that I know how to fix it) is that due to the microbes and dirt under the sea there is sort of a foggy haze around everything, so I think things vanish in the distance quickly, or atleast loose more values than in normal atmospheric perspective, dont know how you would go about changing it, but it may be something to keep in mind and work in next time.

DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, underwater's an odd one. I kept going back and forth between atmospheric lighting that makes the foreground darker than the midground, and extremely low visibility that makes the background darker than the midground. It looked wrong in any combination I tried

Forgot to post the final before so here it is:
    Name:  EoW187_IntoTheVoid_Final.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  100.4 KB

More chowing. As you can see, I still haven't figured out a good process for making thumbnails.
    Name:  CHoW---Aoife-wip-3.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  47.8 KB Name:  CHoW---Guardian-extra-forms.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  30.5 KB

My Sketchbook - All are welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, this idea didn't quite work, but I think it wasn't a complete failure either. Tried to capture some unspecific retro style, with a kind of minimalistic graphic quality. Hard to explain without citing examples, but if I had examples I'd probably have better luck with it
    Well, it's better than when I started it, at any rate.

Name:  CHoW---extras-vignette.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  57.8 KB

And I couldn't resist the new IoW topic either, so here's my take on it.
    I like the tilted horizon well enough, but I think I probably should have kept it straight and just rotated the canvas once I was done. But since it's already there, I might as well challenge myself by working with it
    Name:  IoW24---Game-Over-thumb.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  33.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your concept for CHOW with the girl and the robot, I tried to make up something myself but couldn't think of anything for the girl, only the robot. So I was a girl and gave it up haha.
    I also think you had good progress on your underwater research facility!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your onomatopeias
    Seriously, your concept for CHOW is the best I've seen (ok, I'm talking about the idea, the others have skills you don't have yet, but it will come ! ^^ And it's kinda cool as it is already, by the way)

For your underwater research facility, the idea is the more you are far, the more the colours are desaturated and the less you have contrast (and details), like an atmospheric perspective but stronger and with a blue/green color above all. If you can, I recommand you Jeremy Vickery's DVD "Practical Light and Color - Theory and application" (Gnomon Workshop), it's really great, clear, simple and really practical.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Julie Thanks a lot You should post your robot idea anyway! There's no obligation to get everything done, so if you get an idea for the girl a little later, you'll be glad you put the robot up too

I'm not terribly proud of the research facility. I went into it without any clear ideas, so it's no surprise it ended up cartoony and bland.
    But I was getting very good feedback throughout so I feel I learned a lot.
    Plus, I surpassed my initial goal for that project, which was the ever ambitious "paint things that actually look like stuff"

Theotenai Wow, thank you! I wasn't expecting such a positive response I'm a bit disappointed with how little feedback I got at the chow so far, but I'm having a ton of fun with this concept

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check it out if I get the chance

Today's update: slogging on with chow, and another personal wip.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just dicking around a little bit
    Justin Bieber as a Romulan spy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still having trouble constructing heads. Need more practice.
    Name:  Faces2.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  58.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how the Chow turned out, i agree that facial construction is hard but you seem to have a very good grasp on the positioning of the features. well done

If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jaik

The CHOW isn't done yet! Though I guess the deadline has passed I still plan on finishing it regardless. There's still some work to do on the guardian, but I added some much needed contrast and a bit colors to it.

Also did a quick sketch for the current COW, not to participate, but just as a test.

Also (finally) started making progress on the IOW. Will put it up once it's a little further along.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And there's the current state of my IOW.
    I'm used to only putting in the bare minimum objects required into a scene, so I want to push myself to consider all the objects that could potentially contribute to the scene's story.
    With that in mind, the scene still feels a bit sparse to me; I wonder if there's more I can put in there without making it look too busy and cluttered.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The ChoW looks awesome
    I agree with you about the IOW being a bit sparse. Maybe put some more rows of computers in? These sort of scenes are normally filled with computers and desks, but I dont know what the back story was so maybe it doesnt fit. I'd also make the foreground guy a bit bigger just to sort of fill some space.
    Good job all over though, I like it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool Thread . Love the drawing of Small Hut & Underwater RF.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys!

Jaik - Agreed, the computers in the background need to be fleshed out more still. It's probably a bit too ambitious for me at the moment, but I want the entirety of the backstory to be conveyed clearly through the piece itself. There's a lot going on, but the theme is "game over" so that's the message that should be coming through in the end

Prabu - thanks man, cheers Heh, that RF only has a passing resemblance to what I had in mind, but the fact it doesn't look like a blurry mess is a great sign of improvement.

Updated IOW. Sooo much stuff:
    Name:  IoW24---Game-Over-wip2.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  141.2 KB

As a side note, I never know what to put into the copyright info on the attachment manager. I wish I could skip that step for sketches and wips, or at least automate it. Decided to put this down under "superhero" even though I'm pretty sure those are special forces operatives

Last edited by IntoTheVoid; May 13th, 2012 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great story-telling it that one; it's pretty awesome! I haven't read the IOW topic, but I think I could make a good guess just from the information in your WIP.

BTW, I think the girl has a bit too much back arch going on. Kinda looks like she's trying to strike a sexy pose, rather than recovering from a beat-down.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BTW, I think the girl has a bit too much back arch going on. Kinda looks like she's trying to strike a sexy pose, rather than recovering from a beat-down.
    Ahaha, well damn, you're right
    When studying reference for this topic, I found it slightly less creepy to search for pictures of sexy women than pictures of beaten women, so those are the ones I studied before starting. I guess it showed through a bit too much, which I actually find pretty hilarious.
    Thanks for that Cider

Small update with some refinements; tried to fix the pose and add more detail.
    Name:  IoW24---Game-Over-wip2b.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  137.4 KB

A South-African cross-breed of a Chinese Sheng Long. Sheng Qilin.
    Name:  Giraffe-ShengLong.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  54.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Need to practice creatures, so going with the COW.
    Made some genuine proper thumbnails for a change, and surprisingly don't hate how they turned out. Not yet anyway
    Name:  CoW-259---thumbs.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  42.2 KB

And the starting wip, with placeholder background. I want to add more space around it so the background gives it a better sense of scale, but I also worry that since its legs are so long, its body is going to be too small in the composition.
    Name:  CoW-259---wip.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  56.7 KB

It's based (loosely) on pond skaters, though I don't think it's going to be an insect itself. It uses surface tension on the water, combined with its fast wing flaps to glide close to the water.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IOW's done. Man that was a tough one for me. I must admit, I was not adequately prepared to work on so many details at once.
    But I feel like I learned a lot from this, and just look how happy he is! Is it weird that I find this scene sort of uplifting? I just can't help but be happy for that guy.

I made an angled version because I thought from the start it would be more dynamic for this scene, but I don't trust my judgement on this one so I made a normal version too.
    Name:  IoW24---Game-Over-Final.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  167.8 KB
    Name:  IoW24---Game-Over-Final-Angled.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  161.6 KB

Congratulations, Professor Sinister - you earned this moment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh so busy! Haven't even had any time to draw
    I don't really have much to post for now, but might as well put up the COW I couldn't finish.

Hmm, I want to do some more perspective studies, but I can't think of any I haven't done millions of times already. Maybe I'll try some vehicle studies; that should be good for perspective, right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great imagination eheh! this "game over" one is pretty hilarious ehehe (but you already had all my attention at the rorschach hi-5ing elephants)... compositionally you have lot of talent! I just wish the painting execution was tighter tho (cause that would be awesome!!!)
    Try working out small value thumbnails before you go into the actual big illustration, blocking out everything using a limited set of well separated values (3 values are enough).. Then the same thing with color, small thumbnails trying different color schemes.
    So that when you start doing the finished piece you have a map of what it's going to look like already! Seems like a pain in the ass but it will save you time and give you more control, give it a shot!
    Hope this helps and...have fun!!!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to GaussianRaider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a bunch GaussianRaider
    The thumbnails are a good idea. Lately it seems like my thumbnails are coming out better than usual, so I like the idea of trying more of them. I think I'll take your advice for my next landscape practice.
    I just wish the painting execution was tighter tho (cause that would be awesome!!!)
    Heh, no kidding! That makes two of us! Not quite there yet, but I think I'm moving in the right direction at the moment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looky here, I finally finished the CHOW! Yes, that CHOW. That is to say, it's "finished" in the sense that I'm tired of working on it
    But I'm relatively satisfied with how it turned in terms of my goals for this piece.
    Don't know what this says about my ability to keep a deadline, but for the next short while, I'm pretty proud of how much I've done

Let's go let's go!

Name:  CHoW---Aoife-Final-as-it-gets.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  144.0 KB
    "The guardian vessel is both hollow and pure. As it houses the body, so does it house the soul, and the spark of life within it is but a reflection of its owner's true self."
    -Order of The Chosen

Name:  CHoW---extras-Grdvessel-Schematic.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  101.2 KB
    "Our state of the art psionic technology model is designed to integrate living psionic systems (aka passengers) seamlessly into itself. Not only does its potential increase manyfold, it also unleashes the passenger's previously restrained power beyond its utmost limits. The cushioned interior is ergonomic and extremely comfortable. It comes with mood lighting and three cupholders in any color imaginable."
    -SigmaTech Lead Designer

Name:  CHoW---extras-Aoife.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  73.0 KB
    "No one could ever be fully prepared for the burden of being chosen. Aoife is a sweet child, but anyone can see her growing increasingly tired. Before her anointment her power was gentle and serene: she would let it flow through her music, or the thread of her needle. But as you well know, her true power is far beyond such reckoning. I believe she is strong enough - her heart I mean - that she won't be consumed by her trials. She is always welcome in this house."
    -Matron Fiona

Name:  CHoW---extras-vignette L.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  281.9 KB
    "What is it doing? It looks like it's charging up something... OH HOLY SHI"
    -Final words of the assassin Naos of Lir

Last edited by IntoTheVoid; May 19th, 2012 at 12:19 AM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You look like you are enjoying that ChoW, which is good, turned out good, fairly detailed story behind it too. So many of the poses you have done recently are really dynamic, I like them alot, keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing these vehicles you mentioned

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaik View Post
    You look like you are enjoying that ChoW, which is good, turned out good, fairly detailed story behind it too. So many of the poses you have done recently are really dynamic, I like them alot, keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing these vehicles you mentioned
    Well sure dude, I mean, I can tell there's a lot of problems with it and all, but I love the sheer amount and diversity I got to put together for this project. That I managed to bring it to a certain stage of completion is actually a pretty important milestone for me.
    Thanks for the support!

I'm drafting trains and locomotives right now, which is taking so much longer than usual. The drafts themselves wouldn't take this long, but I'm doing it to practice perspective, so all the measuring and the double and triple checking and trying to draw each line 5 times until it's finally straight is driving me nuts!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, the sad thing is, these are actually the most presentable trains I've got so far...
    Also a quick skeleton study that doubles as the foundation for a personal concept piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something a little different from usual. Just got this idea from the "Babe Lab" blog for a photoshop filter study.
    Reference is Carey Mulligan. Used the 'cutout' filter to get simplified values (bottom left) and my attempt is on the right. Reads sort of okay from a distance, but well, it's no Carey Mulligan
    Planning to do a contour study using 'photocopy' filter, and a silhouette study using 'threshold'.

edit: Couldn't resist filling it in the rest of the way. Here's what it looks like after 10 more minutes.
    edit 2: 10 more minutes. Okay, I better put down the pen now and let this be. Looks like I made the face a tad too wide, but whatever.
    edit 3 another 30 minutes of work. I might have to physically restrain myself to stop coming back to this over and over again. I should learn to be satisfied with the things I put up as they are, but I guess it's also true that I posted too early. Nose bridge is too low, and the left eye is a bit small, not to mention the lazy hair. But I think I can let it go and finally move on now
    Name:  Carey-Mulligan-Filter-Study1d.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  35.5 KB

Last edited by IntoTheVoid; May 21st, 2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: progress

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My interpretation of the current CHOW, The King of Hell.
    I may have derped him up a little too much. Perhaps making his eyes larger will be helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good, those trains are awesome.
    Larger eyes will probs make him derpier.. if thats a word... If you make the eyes small and beady it may help but I dont know if thats the look you are going for.. he also seems to be looking in two different directions. All in all cool concept though

Those filter ideas are cool may have to try it some time Thanks as always for dropping by my SB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jaik! Those trains drove me crazy, drawing them all freehand, but I finally got a bit of a feel for it by the end.
    I was going for "evil derp" if that's a thing. My rationale is: an evil of a sufficiently large magnitude is not recognizable to us as some caricature supervillain, but is something entirely foreign and alien. I wanted to make it impossible to read his emotions properly using his eyes so that his evilness feels much colder and more natural for him.
    Oh yeah, this rough sketch still doesn't show it, but the "evil" part is hopefully represented by the anguished people in his stomach-mouth struggling in vain to escape. I'll get to it eventually
    And thank you too for dropping by

Today I bring forth another filter study. This one felt harder to do for some reason, but it was a good lesson in showing as much as possible using as little as possible.
    Threshold filter on the right side, and my attempt on the left side.

Update for the King of Hell. Starting to regret that composition. Normally I crop stuff as I progress, but this one ended up completely square and the entire king is in front view
    I was too focused on fixing up the head that I forgot to pay attention to the body before adding details. Well, lesson learned and all that. On the positive side, the head is bothering me far less now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hate to post such a dinky update after so many days, but there's no helping it, and I still want to post something at least.
    My attempt at thumbnailing landscapes was mediocre at best. I tried simplifying them to only a few values and basic shapes at first, but every time I do they stop looking like anything I can recognize.

I also had a thought of redesigning the original Samurai Pizza Cats. Made some rough sketches and turned them into silhouettes. Seems to work okay, so I'll try refining them a bit more and put them up as soon as I can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice updates man. Though, is there a reason you used grey in that last filter when the ref was just black and white?
    With thumbnail sketches i find its easier if I use 2 values for each of the fore- mid- and background, just ot generally show form and maybe light direction, then you only use 6 values and it keeps them separate, but I do find it very had to do

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1