vanishing points of a tilted object
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

vanishing points of a tilted object

Can someone show me the vanishing points of a tilted cube in a two point perspective?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am not absolutely sure what you mean, but if you are talking about a cube which ist tilted to the front (so one corner of it is pointing at you) then you have basically two ways to do it:

1: You can put the tilted cube inside a not tilted cube (probably difficult, i know). This not tilted cube is easy to draw in 2pp.

2: You do the cube in 3 point perspective (serch for it, there are a lot of tutorials on the internet)

I hope that helped

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Kartoffel

2: You do the cube in 3 point perspective (serch for it, there are a lot of tutorials on the internet)
    Hi, thanks for the help. I think the first idea will work better.
    But i don't see how doing a 3 point perspective would work. Because i can do a 3pt perspective of a cube, but the cube would still be parallel to the ground plane. so how would that give an illusion to the viwer that the cube is tilted on one of it's corner edge?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I'll try to explain this in text the best i can.

1. Start with your traditional horizon line with its two points in their regular spots on either side of the line.

2. Draw a long vertical line through one of the vanishing points (right or left...depending on the direction your box is tilting) and leave the other one normal.

3. Place two NEW vanishing points on this vertical line.
    -One above the horizon line to determine the TILTED "horizontals" of the cube (if that makes sense...basically the lines of the cube that would conform to the normal vanishing point if they were not tilted)
    -The other WELL BELOW the horizon line to determine the tilted "verticals" (drawing lines perpendicular to the horizon line will keep your cube firmly planted on the ground...which you don't want)

4. Draw lines from the higher VP down to the picture plane

5. Draw lines from the lower VP to determine the tilt of the cube "verticals"

6. Finally, draw lines from the normal, unaltered VP through the intersections of steps 4 and 5

7. If it totally looks like crap after your done...just eyeball it

(I'm pretty sure this is the method to do it...message or email me if you have questions)

-Purgatorio

Members who have read this thread: 3