Art: My reel

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: My reel

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My reel

Hey guys,

I havent made a reel in super long (since I got my job, which is coming close to 3 years now) so i decided to slap something together simply to have something to show.

I will also have a reel for all my editing / filmed work but thats to come later. animation / motion graphics is first priority for me

Would love to get some feedback

thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really enjoyed watching that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your animations which dealt mostly with shapes and abstract designs all look top notch. Many of them remind me of the fancy logo presentations you see at the beginning of films and such. But the representational pieces which were meant to look like organic mobile forms, like the wolf, the woman walking and the man walking... even the foot on the gas pedal of the car all look kind of stiff and childish.

So I think just working on drawing cartoon characters would be a good thing for you to practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by artaddict View Post
    Your animations which dealt mostly with shapes and abstract designs all look top notch. Many of them remind me of the fancy logo presentations you see at the beginning of films and such. But the representational pieces which were meant to look like organic mobile forms, like the wolf, the woman walking and the man walking... even the foot on the gas pedal of the car all look kind of stiff and childish.

So I think just working on drawing cartoon characters would be a good thing for you to practice.
    These were my thoughts exactly. Your character work looks stiff and auto-tweened, which is kinda standard for a entry-level animator, but next to your great, motion graphics, FX, and experience, it's detracting from your reel.

The editing of the reel is also quite good, I really enjoyed when the lyrics came on screen, it re-captured my attention.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    since I got my job
    What is your job?

Sketchbook!
    Looking for mentor.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies guys, its been quite a while since I checked back here but I'm really glad to see some feedback.

I've had a tough time in my career deciding whether I want to tell stories or whether I want to go towards advertising etc, and so I mainly went down the advertising route for quite a while (hence the motion graphics) but in the past year or so I've dedicated most of my time to drawing, filming, photography & even some painting.

I appreciate the feedback and will continue to work on my basic design theory, as well as drawing skills and composition skills (things I did not get to learn in university).

Your character work looks stiff and auto-tweened, which is kinda standard for a entry-level animator, but next to your great, motion graphics, FX, and experience, it's detracting from your reel.
    Yes this is exactly what I'm dealing with, understanding the animation principles and applying them to keyframing in after effects, slowly getting a hang of more natural feeling key frames. Also got my hands on "ease and whizz" script now which has opened my eyes a lot.

What is your job?
    I am a motion graphics designer (also do graphic design and video editing) at a online gaming company, if any of you are a member of PokerStrategy.com you might see a lot of my work there.

Members who have read this thread: 1