Thanks

How do you tell people about concept art?

When I say I want to go into "concept design" the response I almost always get is a blank or puzzled face. Do you guys often get the same? I'm curious about other people's "speils" to explain concept art. I feel like when I try to explain what it is there are so many different aspects (games & movies; fantasy, science fiction and historical settings; designing landscapes, architecture, plant life, characters, clothing, creatures, machines...) I lose people somewhere around "Before a game or movie goes into production...". So, what do you guys say? How do you consolodate such a large feild into a several-sentence long explaination?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well it depends of the person of course. For example, if I'm talking about this subject to my grandma (who has high-speed and wants me to hack her DVD...), I'll try to put things in a different perspective. If it means making parrallels with things they can relate to, then all good ! I also try not to simplify things too much or some people might take it the wrong way and think we look down on them
    If they are genuinly interested, then I go into more technical and intricate explanations. It's all about not loosing your audience.

2c, out.

Thanks
    egerie - agreed

Just say "I'm going into Concept Art Design for Film Entertainment", or something like that. After that, if their still confused, all you have to do then is label some popular films (or games) and say that the art for those films is concept art and thats what your art would be for.

I've experienced those blank looks many times when I had to tell someone who's not an artist what I do or want to do. Usually when you say your into art to people like that, the first thing that pops into their minds is someone with a palette knife and paint filled clothes.

Thanks
    i tell them i draw things for movies and then they give me a dollar and tell me that it was a very nice joke.

Thanks
    seb - Hahahahahaha! Sometimes they just give me the confused, 'your full of shit' face. They don't give me a cent though.

Thanks
    I don't bother to explain, instead I give them this condescending "I can't believe you're this stupid" kind of look, while glaring at them. After a good couple of seconds of glaring, I roll my eyes back in my head, yawn, stick my finger in my ear, and then say "It'd take too much effort to explain"

Thanks
    Isn't this sad?
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    i'm not sad. i got a whole three dollars today.