View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: arakin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

arakin

okay finally posted
    ( i haven't since i first signed on shamefull yes)

But at least my breaking in was for Dune. I covered the costumes and charecters part of the project with Sammy.

The following are in mixed medias: pencil, marker, water color, acrylic.
    Oh yeah some are fashion portional so nine heads keep in mind and some are sketches in media other than pencil.

Explianation of Interpritation of fremen:

In the theatrical versions of the book “Dune” by Frank Herbert, there were mainly two representations of the still suit. One directed by David Lynch the suits seemed to be inspired almost by crustations or perhaps a species of desert beetle. There outsides were hard and plastic like where the internal structure of the catche system was represented only by foamy bulk in particular areas. When it came to representing the actual working components to the systems it was a visually a little vauge.
    In the made for TV version of “Dune” the still suits have more of a baggy militaristic feel. The suit is hanging off of the skin there is nothing holding to the skin save, for the occasional wrapped faux leather around waists, arms, ankles ecta. In the book “Dune” Frank Herbert described them in a conversation between kynes and the Duke Leto Atriedes.
    “He felt under the robe for the shoulder seals, speaking as he examined the suit.” Its basically a micro-sandwich-a high efficiency filter and heat-exchange system” He adjusted the shoulder seal.” The contact layers pourus. Perspiration passes through it having cooled the body…near normal evaporation processes.” The next two layers”… Kynes tightened the chest fit”…include heat exchange filaments and salt precipitators. Salts reclaimed”.
    The conversation continues, Which I find to be an extremely important part and seemingly looked over in both of the theatrical versions” Kynes studied the underarm seals, adjusted one.” Motions of the body, especially breathing” –“ and some osmotic action provide the pumping force”. The body hugging fit of the suit described above makes this part of the suits function capable. Which in turn means that the material of the suit should be able to move with the wearer. It reads on to say “ He loosened the chest fit slightly. “ reclaimed water circulates to catch pockets from which you draw in through this tube in the clip at your neck.”-“ Urine and feces are processed in the thigh pads,”
    -“in the open desert, you wear this filter across your face,”
    This particular part seems to have been placed aside for reasons of character development. Having to watch something that shows only the charecters eyes could be seen as dull and no way having a relation between the audience members and the cast. Yet if the development team were to look at this as not a negative but a challenge to have the suit itself describes part of the person. Consider the flight jacket during the nineteen fifties and up to today where our armed forces drive vehicles with insignias and sport these hand painted designs on there jackets. Enforcing thier bond between their “weapon” and there ability to live.
    Kynes then further explains, “Its importance the tube in the nostrils with these plugs insure a tight fit. Breathe in through the mouth filter, out through the nose tube. With a still suit in good working order you won’t lose more than a thimble full of moisture a day…”Kynes pressed a finger against the suits forehead pad, said; this may rub a little…I could slit patch it a bit tighter.” This last statement about patching up his suit is another sign of the suits ability to be worn in and then repaired by the wearer. It leads the reader to believe that individuals with experience help preserve the suit. Most likely this being the wearer him/herself. This in turn shows how it can be adapted to the point where the suit personifies the individual inside.So throughout the sketches and studies below I tried out different versions of how this could be shown…nothing is finalized and I hope to continue working on the freemen because I feel like I have perhaps finally developed a basis to work from.
    If anyone actually read through that I would be surprised so...long....brain...numbing...

Some images of Fremen, way out there and some I hope to develope further:

arakin

arakin

arakin

arakin

arakin

arakin

arakin

arakin

arakin

arakin

arakin

arakin

arakin

Saw the baron as bieng less visceral than in the cinamatic representations. More so of affluent society. Man of money and power slyness, cunning, "wolfentine" behind 18th century charm and style

arakin

arakin

Bennegesserits, less is more,
    Althoughthe garments are interesting from the movies they were to much and took from the actual prescence that they were supposed to have as bennegessirts. Idea went to something bracade ( embelshimant ontop of a garment) didn't work so fell into this sort of late 17th century english conservative garment.

arakin

arakin

arakin

arakin

arakin

arakin

thanks for veiwing this, will post more from project and start this as my sketch book so come back and crit i need lots of itmore and more i need everyones help!!! Darn toot'n.

Last edited by lupicani; July 8th, 2004 at 02:12 AM.
    "c'mon i know you've got it, toss the box"

sketchbook

http://altpick.com/members.php?id=17236
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sketches

fremen sketches:
    arakin
    arakin

arakin
    arakin
    arakin

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff dude. you definetely got skill. I'd like to see more work on form and body structure. keep it up

Da Vinci was a concept artist
    11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the crit obid. I completly agree. did this in response. Thanks !!!!!please keep it coming! I took a look in your sketch replied there.

arakin

arakin

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more quick sketches from today

arakin

arakin

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff

im really diggin teh diversity of your executions, mediums

i think my main crit would be to use more actual cultural patterns for ref--some stuff feels a little made up-- it hink doing more research would bring that much more authenticity to your designs

also-- i think you should do more thumbnails for designing within the frame.(good start with the abron thumbs) Some of these pieces are more illustrations than designs( some have stronger design than others), so if thats the case make sure the design is smart and full of shananigans to keep a viewers interest

fresh ish ! love the fremen sketches
    the force is strong with this one:chug:

ty

MY SITE
    available for freelance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definetely more better. Yet, one thing that is bothering me is that the heads seem to small compared to the whole body. Thats just me anyway. you can take a look. Definetely cool though. what are you using, painter 8 or another program. I really think that you have much untapped potential within you. just bring it out man. Dude I gotta use more colors on my pieces. There all just boring sketches hah. keep it up

11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys thanks for the crit!!!

Tyler- whats up g-funk?! You're right and i would love some suggestions on how to fix that. I refernced alot but i think i get extremely overwhelmed in what to choose perhaps you could recommend some mentors to me? or any textile sites? I included some timy wennie thumbnails i'm sorry there so small i guess i wasn't thinkning, no suprise. these are just a few soo if you want more.. bla bla bla. Thanks for the frem. compliment!

Orbid- There is an fashion sketching technique called" nine heads". It's pretty interesting and to give you the historical low down it was created by greek/roman mencalled, polyklietos and polygnotos . Polyklietos created the nine heads of the form bieng the perfect form to be depicted in art. It wa alikend to the gods. Now polygnotos created the use of .. lets call it back and foreground when painting the form. To have multiple planes for the figure to stand apoun accenting the perfect system or nine heads. What i'm getting at is that fashion sketching, coustumers all embrace the nine heads so that ther is emphisis placed on the form and not the actual person. The clothing is the focal point. I want to be one of those pople when i grow up hence why i have posted peices in that style. But i will do some perportional peices for you because you have a good point i need to show all drawing styles so it all may be critqued.

the system i'm using is painter eight and photoshop. I wouldn't start on color just yet if i were you i would use value instead. It's more chalenging to land a figure to ground it by the wiht of line than to make the veiwer distracted by color. Try working in inks! it's alot of fun to use them in soft washes and i recomend a cold press water color paper that way it's much more forgiving. It has a nice rough tooth and makes little mistakes look good. It's my fav... BLA
    arakin
    some more frem dig. sketch. concepts

arakin

Last edited by lupicani; May 29th, 2004 at 02:49 AM.

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, man. You definitely have a unique style. I want to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What it is burrito?

What it is burrito? I'd say push some more variety of hues and intensities in your color images (like the baron). I know this is coming from Mr. Subtlety himself but I'm definitely not as timid as you once knew me before. Still life and figure painting helped me see the light. Let's get together and talk about art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's been great workin' together (not gonna stop hopefully!) 24/7 Dune all the time!!1

some of this stuff looks really great (even better) scanned in.
    I have to agree with Van, it's great to have someone with a unique illustrative style to this forum. I think people can appreciate the breath of fresh air.

seeing it all in here it's clear how much more value and demension there is in your CANSON sketches (I'll go buy more, hehehe). But the canson doesn't have the loseness of your digital... we should try printing out some of your digi-work onto the CANSON. You could pull a lot of demension outa that.

in your traditional stuff you pay a lot more attention to color, it would be nice to see some digital work with that much effort put into the color as well.

can't wait for the Ender's Wolf! Hop too it toots!

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey chris!! you got my email? Right ? Post hommie!!!! Yeah-yeah totally agree with the color issues and i got big ones. Do you recommend any visuals that i could go check out a.k.a sites? Or books that helped you out / It's so frigg'n hard to handle the color. But it's also great that there is something out there that is so chalenging I would love to see some of your pastel landscapes on the site.

sketches of enders wolves from a couple of weeks ago, some are way visceral and others not to bad.
    arakin

Then these "blue" ones are from today while waiting for movie to start, "Day after Tommarrow" which was extravaganza cheese, i dug...blablabla.
    Will work on final tonight and post fini hopefully tonight/tommarow. Or will wait for some suggestions. Suggestions please
    arakin
    arakin
    I guess the problem i'm having is trying to decide between visceral fun cheese. Or big beutifull wolevn body with childs head. In the book the main chaerecter plays a video game and in it there is a part where these large white wolves loose there natural wolf heads and are replaced by childrens heads. but it's a little iffy looking to through head of child on sexy mammal. so am torn between the two. I see the wolf becoming a carier for the childs entity in the game the negative precence that the child has overwhelms the bueaty of the wolf thats why i went so far with some of the sketches. I do agree with those of you out there that think it's much to far i would like to stike a middle ground. hence all the sketches. BLA

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres a sketch i just did of wht i'm kinda going for, the non viseral. Crit requested.
    arakin
    yes those are hands instead of front paws. thinking of pushing that idea with more bone strucure, like the child is trying to push through but not bloody style.

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more enders wolf concepts:

ideas for an illustration:
    arakin
    photoshoped sketch quickie:
    arakin

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn thats soo nice i love ya chatacters the hair is so cool !!is there a tut online how to draw such hair??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (c) there isn't a tutorial but i would be happy to post my sketching process up.

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more finalized ideas for illustration from thumb nails:

arakin
    arakin
    god i love photoshop.

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That landscape looks great without the wolf, I'd like to see it fully sketched out.
    It's one of a few images that has lots of demension/perspective it needs to be fully realized.

You should keep the wolf in it, but smaller and more subtle... laying down mayhaps??? Lots of options of making it very creepy with a more subtle child-wolf.

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    didn't post up yesturday due to working on this started painting today.Figurd i should put somthing up to show still going...bla
    arakin

arakin

arakin
    find the composition pretty boring and the color pretty lame as well no real light source so might just use this for practice and try something a litle more dynamic, I know the main pro is the charecter is just standing there.
    Crit more than welcome please!!

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lupicani, I think that the blue sketches are definately lookin great and your landscape is kickin. I really like the wolf-child idea, but the body of the wolf is a little hard to read. I dont know if you are doing this on purpose because the physical construction of the wolf is supposed to have humanlike elements, but I think the idea of just the head of the creature being human is really enough. Perhaps Google up some images of wolves and get the form right then add the head. The childs face is looking really child-like, its just the body thats a little wierd. Cool stuff though, and I REALLY like the idea! Keep it up

"You cannot, in today's world, judge a book by its contents" -Jon Stewart
    sketches
    website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keepiru,
    Thanks for the critique, I completly agree with you, I have a basic understanding of wolf physics but yet not enough to translate. I did reference but I think that the cropping did not help at all with wieght ratio and ecta.

well i will do more tonight/tommarrow:

What i did after i worked on the other stuff:

water color:

arakin

I did a full digital piece but that was really bad... soooo i kept that at home

Last edited by lupicani; June 6th, 2004 at 07:34 PM.

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did these today:
    10 min sketch in painter,
    arakin
    25 min painter color sketch
    arakin

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn.. You've got some really kickass work here lupicani. I love the freedom and looseness of your lines, it's executed very well. And I'm diggin the variety of mediums you are using. Keep up the great work.:chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the first post of enders wolves sketches are the best thing ive seen from you yet!! especially the 3 on the top upper right
    THOSE OWN!!

kikin the ass

ty

MY SITE
    available for freelance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Life Drawing

What it is burrito? The head and face of the wolf kid seem maybe a little small for the body. How many Life Drawings did you take? And with who?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey ty:
    you be going to the fizgiggy on the conceptual niggie?( excuse my inapropiatness not ment to be rude)
    thanks hombre!!!!happy and such

rocky: not many life classes just one with the amazing tiny english pink bicycle chick i forgot name. i should have taken more though.

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey ty you got any ty type crit?! would love some

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks bud. Dont worry i'll keep posting...soon. It definetely wont be a permanent stop on posts lol. anyway i like these new stuff your doing. Its got a cool design with the wolf. one thing i would like to see is more time spent on you pieces. I like these though. Can you give me some tips on painting with a computer? Thanks it would really help me out.

' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    obid,
    what paint programs are you using? or do you have avialable?I'd love to help that's uber flattering...or just painting traditonally would be cool to tell you about, but i don't really know that much and I could reccomend color theory books.. Josef Bueys and such, he is the man!

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep it up, man. I want to see MORE!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.