Art: Portfolio, Jake Ekiss

View testimonialsView Artwork

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portfolio, Jake Ekiss

Greetings all,

My name is Jake Ekiss. I am a semi-professional comic book artist and illustrator. While I am focused on comics and illustration primarily, and don't want to completely leave that world, I'd like to start making some moves into concept art as well.

The first challenge I'm looking to tackle is a stylistic one. I notice much (if not most) of the concept art that I see tends toward a digital painted style. Clearly I'm more used to linear, graphic art. I'm trying to figure out what parts of my portfolio to keep, if any, and what to shed and replace (I'm guessing most of it).

General crits are also welcome, of course. Self improvement is a moving target after all and getting better at my comic work certainly isn’t going to hurt.

Here I'll post a few pin-ups and illustrations, and then later I'll throw a few pin-ups and illustrations and later I'll throw up some of my (admittedly limited) concept and character design work. Anybody who'd like to check more out can see my whole portfolio here: http://jakeekiss.daportfolio.com/

Thanks for the input!

Attached Images Attached Images                      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JakeEkiss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jake, i think you have a good linedrawing here but you lack fluidity for my own tastes. Anyway if you want to become a concept artist you need to start to draw lots and lots of human made things instead of humans cause you already know how to do a character concept and its only 30% of the work. Just become friend with perspective and draw vehicles, props, scenarios and become used to do it and you're there. Forget about illustration techniques for a while (concept design and illustration are 2 different jobs), you need another kind of portfolio for concept design, you're very much an illustrator right now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jake!

I have to agree with Hitsu on this one. This is an illustration portfolio, not a concept art one. I would do a LOT of research on what the concept houses are looking for.

Your illos are very good! The only two things I would suggest is; work on composition a little more and watch for tangents (Storm's arm going along the panel line, hero's arm following the robot's profile on hero cover).

Reality is only for those who lack imagination
    kadcreations@q.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.