Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Progress

Thanks
    Thanked 2,200 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alffla View Post
    yea.. i've been trying to memorize muscle groups etc but i can't for the life of me have a solid image of what things shuold look like. especially hands, i love drawing them and doing studies of them but when i try to draw them out its like i'm 5 years old again.

just feeling a bit down right now because i thought after spending so much time drawing them recently i'd have some sort of muscle memory and know how to draw something decent.
    There's no such thing as "muscle memory" in learning to draw. At least, not if you mean the kind of "muscle memory" people refer to in sports, where you repeat an action so many times it becomes ingrained, or something... What you want to develop is your mental memory. That means thinking and observing and comparing while you draw - and in between drawing, too.

One exercise you can try is to draw something from refs (life or otherwise,) then try drawing it from imagination, then check the refs to see where you're off, then try again, keeping your mistakes in mind and trying to correct them... repeat until you get it right.

And what Jeff said, times 1000. If you want a certain level of realism, you're always going to need some sort of reference. Almost nobody does realism without reference; usually people who work without reference have a somewhat stylized approach.

Professionals use reference. Amateurs don't use reference, and then brag about not using reference.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hi every one, thanks for all the great helpful responses

i'm going to really try think about how forms fit together from now on,. etc.

I know just a few days of drawing things wasn't gonna make me good, but the thing is I've been drawing hands and stuff from life for a while already, and the most recent studies were just my frustration at still not being able to draw from imagination .

as for references and realism, I'm not looking to be able to create photorealistic paintings from imagination, but I want to be able to draw convincing things,. I'm sure that all the comic and concept artists around the world do not hire models or use reference most of the time ; and that's my goal from now. again, thanks for there responses. i'm going to work much harder from now on
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    (on the topic of ART) She's a demanding bitch that wants ALL your time and gets angry and pulls away if you even LOOK at another creative endeavor! "What, I'm not GOOD enough for you now? hm? well guess what, BAM! now try to draw without me, ya bastard!"
    HELLO SKETCHBOOK.

Thanks
    hi every one, thanks for all the great helpful responses

i'm going to really try think about how forms fit together from now on,. etc.

I know just a few days of drawing things wasn't gonna make me good, but the thing is I've been drawing hands and stuff from life for a while already, and the most recent studies were just my frustration at still not being able to draw from imagination .

as for references and realism, I'm not looking to be able to create photorealistic paintings from imagination, but I want to be able to draw convincing things,. I'm sure that all the comic and concept artists around the world do not hire models or use reference most of the time ; and that's my goal from now. again, thanks for there responses. i'm going to work much harder from now on
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    (on the topic of ART) She's a demanding bitch that wants ALL your time and gets angry and pulls away if you even LOOK at another creative endeavor! "What, I'm not GOOD enough for you now? hm? well guess what, BAM! now try to draw without me, ya bastard!"
    HELLO SKETCHBOOK.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3