Sketchbook: Irin's sketchbook

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Irin's sketchbook

Finally setting this up.

I've been doodling a fair amount, nothing finished but that's okay. Lately I was having problems with self-induced artist's block by being too precious with my drawings when I'd find time to draw. So, a lot of my sketches are gonna be pretty rough for now; I'm trying to work on catching the essence of the subject more than the final details. I'll also have more studies on fundamentals up over time.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Irin; June 3rd, 2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Changing thumbnail
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1: Is from when I was just breaking my block, so it was very relieving to be able to make doodles (if rough) that I liked and didn't feel like was fighting my hand the whole way through. Also, I'm aware the year is wrong. lol

2: This day was doodle OCs day. They are from a few different personal projects of mine.

3: I've been watching/listening to LotR too much lately. Working on a project for fun where you take 6 concepts and make 10 designs each. I was originally attempting to make the horn and hand disproportionately large, like a camera lens distortion, but I ended up getting my perspective confused so it doesn't look as intentional as it should be.

4: Again, too much LotR. Daydream character named Mirimir who's world is essentially Middle Earth and Ferelden combined. Totally cliche but oh well lol Drawn completely with brushpen and yellow marker.

5: Some pen and highlighter doodles at work. The one is from observation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been drawing a fair amount, just suffering from a laziness to scan. lol Anyway, For the mermaid I referenced a national geographic photograph. I essentially finger painted with watercolor pencils and ink on a train. All things considered I like it. The anatomy stuff is from an anatomy book that I have. The husky is from google, and the cat is my cat. The sketch with the girl with the tail I used a photograph as a reference for the pose [link]. Super powerful image. I was excited to see it because I've been trying to draw this pose since 2008, aaaaand here it is exactly as what was in my head. I feel like I should scan in one of my original attempts. lol that'd be entertaining.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its good to see you are posting your work, i dont really care for strong crits, but definently learning how to keep ur pencil a little less "scratchy" and such, try to study how others do their linework, and that will definently improve the quality of your artwork instantly.
    I like how you write with your work, have u thought of doing illustration based work? like a small novel or "cartooned" pieces?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to James Thomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment. I completely agree with being less scratchy as being one of the next directions I need to work in.

For a bit, I put myself into a creative block (general impatience of skill level etc lol) so for a while I've been working on being less precious with each sketch. I was hoping to work on the emotive qualities in each drawing and eliminating as much stiffness as possible. Happily, I think I've moved past the worst of my negative thinking.

I was just talking to a friend the other day about how now I need to do more than scribble sketches out again so people can figure out what I'm drawing lol. Also cause with it this sketchy it's a bit of a chore cleaning anything up. Long story short, economizing my line useage is what I'll be working on next. Thanks for hitting the nail on the head.

I do like illustration a lot, and writing when I sit down to do it. So I have a few projects I'd like to do both for but they're in the planning stages atm. Closer to actual production is a fan comic that I'm looking forward to as a style and technique exploration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I've been playing with my style a little just so I can have some variety. Also to cut down on time drawing comic pages in the future. Not a big difference so far (really just the eyes...and I'm probably the only one other than my friends that can tell, but w/e). I have a hard time breaking out of my style, but I'm hoping that over time I'll continue changing aspects of it so I can have another style distinctly different than the one I currently use.

1. the girl is a product of that experimentation. It's also a concept sketch for a comic project I'm working on.

2. A sketch in my default style of a character for a story idea floating around in my head.

3. a scene from a dream I had at one point. I was playing with a ballpoint pen and layout. The typography didn't turn out like I had in mind. The pen was fun though.

Also, I'm starting to work on less scribbly drawings, but I'm not sure what CA's policy is on fanart.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see your drawings. I find if I am not in a very creative mood to draw, aka art blockage, studies are pretty good to work on. Always gotta keep drawing and you will only improve. Btw you can never have too much LoTR .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    XENöSIS: Thanks for the comment.

Been drawing with colerase pencils lately. Noticed in this sketchbook it doesn't like to get very dark or stay that way, so I keep having to go back and fix it. :/

1. A Fennec Fox from a photo I found on deviant art
    2. My cat Maggie (drawn from life) and a random reptilian creature
    3. My one dog Magic (drawn from life)
    4. From left to right Maggie, Magic, Zoe (all drawn from life)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.