Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Oh I forgot all about the interrogation scene. Now I can see it.
    Until you merge I'm just gonna 'fanboy' away for now.

At first I thought the new prejudice again non benders was.... well... new. But then I realize the non benders were mocked like Sokka's early comedy relief as being useless and non benders being oppressed like the episode where Zuko is wandering and comes across the Earth Kingdom family who's older son died in the war and the earth benders in the army harassed them because they can't fight back.

But in the new series this is the obvious main theme now. Then the shift is going to be exactly like Sokkas change in the later half of the series making up for it with skill and an over the top 'space sword'. I'm really curious on what technology exactly is going to be able to stop all the elements and now Metal bending which is common place. They showed how high tech the metal benders were with almost robotic doors they could control.

(Weird little fun fact, didn't know until a friend pointed it out. Tenzens wife mentioned how all their kids are benders. Well apparently the creators countered the Air Nomad genocide with the unique attribute that the Air Nomads were the only society where everyone could air bend. There is no non benders in their genetic line.)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    They actually did mention what can stop benders. Though it was mentioned by the creators in interviews, and not on the show yet. If you go back to original series, someone was able to stop benders before.

Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    (Weird little fun fact, didn't know until a friend pointed it out. Tenzens wife mentioned how all their kids are benders. Well apparently the creators countered the Air Nomad genocide with the unique attribute that the Air Nomads were the only society where everyone could air bend. There is no non benders in their genetic line.)
    You sure? Remember Aang and Korra had 3 kids. Tenzin is the third child. The other two are Kaya and Bumi but it's not specifically mentioned whether or not these children are benders (non air obviously).

Last edited by Arshes Nei; March 26th, 2012 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post

I think that could be if both parents were Air Nomads then their children would most likely be Air benders too. Katara isn't one, maybe that's why Tenzin's the only Airbender out of Katara and Aang's kids.

Thanks
    Well the more I think about it ...it may be that there were Non Airbender people living near Airbenders.

It's not like we saw Aang's parents well we saw him born, but notice he doesn't talk about his parents, but he talks about the monks. From what it looked like he may have been adopted into the monestary at a very early age due to his airbending abilities? So I think the genocide was definitely air benders. Same thing was happening with the Water Tribes. Get rid of those with bending abilities. It left those around with non airbending abilities who may have been born from those who did have airbender capabilities.

Thanks
    True I didn't know about his siblings. I just remember reading in a wiki (which can be unreliable) that the air nomads were all benders. I also remember in the flash backs with Aang everyone was bending.
    Might just have been because they're isolationists so their genes are passed from both parents which are benders. Maybe Katara being a water bender had something to do with the lack of bending in the other 2. lol well that ruins my fun fact. But oh well.

Aangs parents I remember reading at a convention the creators said his parents sent him off to a temple at a young age. Probably because he was discovered as the avatar to train with the head monks (though he wasn't to be told until he was 16, but they told him early due to thread of war if I remember). Then the genocide of the Air Temples so poof, no mo parents.

http://www.avatarspiritmedia.net/interviews.php?id=19

There was an interview here where they said they wanted the Air nomads to be pretty much all benders, but a small population. Because they were supposed to be in tune spiritually with the world. While the Earth Kingdom as an opposite for instance has fewer bender in percentage but a huge population.

A bit confusing, it's culture based in that they say the Avatar was the last airbender, that was it no one else would suddenly develop air bending if he died, then they say they didn't intend it to be genetic based as in lineage. Also say it's based in a spiritual connection almost but not just that. Fairly ambiguous. Then there's the episodes on the true original sources of bending was from various creatures in nature the badgermoles, dragon, air bison etc. But that wasn't about gaining an ability from them more so learning from them. It was still based on some hidden trait they have.

Curious...... I'm just going to leave it as it's not lineage as in 'this families genetics say they can't bend' but it still could be a recessive trait that manifests itself. While certain races and genetics would probably effect on what manifested itself. I'm going with that lol.

Last edited by JFierce; March 26th, 2012 at 09:02 PM.

Thanks
    Well I can see how all living in the monasteries were airbenders. It makes sense, but one of the things I noticed in the first series, there were non benders living in different kingdoms. For example the refugees that took up the old Air Bender temple, were they all from one kingdom or different areas? But it didn't seem like there were relationships inside the monastery like families? I mean like mother/father relationships.

Currently Tenzin has people living in his temple that are non benders but wearing Air Nomad clothes.

Speaking of Tenzin, I hope that's Tenzin narrating in the opening scene, and the Airbender in the opening is actually an adult Aang (with facial hair). I like that the opening featured Avatars of the past and introduces Korra of the present, so having Tenzin would interrupt that. So I hope that's an adult Aang.

What will be fun is that the next Avatar will be a male Earthbender, then female Firebender. You'll then have another female but it will be an airbender :o

Both Aang and Korra had difficulty mastering their opposite in the shows. While Aang's was more of an obvious opposite. Air/Earth (it was still a spiritual opposite as well). Korra's is more of a spiritual opposite. I always kind of wondered since the Avatar can bend all four elements, what if you had an Avatar that had difficulty mastering own element. Like an Earthbender Avatar that couldn't earthbend? That could be an interesting story.

Thanks
    lol I always pictured that as Adult Aang.

The Air Bender relationships. I think I remember they were based on Tibetan monks and I read that monks are sent away at a young age to a monastery. So they probably have parents, maybe even husband and wives that were monks but after a certain age were able to have relationships then the children but they go to a monastery from a young age to get in touch with that whole spiritual side from a young age when/where it's best to learn.

I saw that in the Air Temple. I was curious about them.

I think the whole Korra being not in touch with the spiritual avatar aspect means she's not going to be able to do the Avatar state well for one, then I think that because she's mastered the elements from the start that the spiritual side is going to be very important. Especially with enemies that are probably going to find some way to fight benders, something that is superior to bending in terms of fire power.

Funny thing is bending also seems to be affected by personality. So you could easily have an Earthbender who's cowardly or all carefree like an Airbender who sucks at his own element.

Thanks
    Now that the first 3 eps have aired, I'd say it's still a very strong show. The third episode reveals a good threat level for Korra.

Also, if anyone is curious, this book is part of Canon http://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Last-Ai.../dp/1595828117 and will bridge the 2 shows. It covers right after Aang and team Avatar defeat Ozai and sets up the setting for Korra. There will be more than one graphic novel of course.

Thanks
    I know I'm kind of late to the party, but yeah, this show is so awesome that reflecting on its awesomeness makes me somewhat lightheaded. The characters are funny, interesting, display a wide range of emotions...good stuff. I haven't been this excited about a cartoon in awhile. Whenever I watch it, I find myself talking at the television like a loon, because I literally get that into it.

I was actually not expecting to like this series that much. When the first avatar series started out, it seemed kind of stiff. Like the writers didn't know much about the characters, or were hesitant to apply definite traits or actions to them. Everything the did and said seemed somewhat watered down. That tendency of theirs cleared up towards the end of the series. With Korra, it seems that they've picked up where they left off where characterization is concerned, and that is five different flavors of fantastic. I hope everything stays strong.

Thanks
    Some of my friends don't like how Korra is so brash and in your face, thats her biggest flaw and I like it. It means she has a ton of room to grow. I think Bryke is developing her like they did Aang, throughout the entire series not just after a few episodes.

@snacks: The previous show would be watered down since it was more targeted at kids, while the newer series is a more grown up but still ok for kids to watch.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kya Hill View Post
    Some of my friends don't like how Korra is so brash and in your face, thats her biggest flaw and I like it. It means she has a ton of room to grow. I think Bryke is developing her like they did Aang, throughout the entire series not just after a few episodes.
    She is more opposite of Aang, which of course is opposite of Airbending. I think the big payoff for the fans is when she is able to connect to her spiritual side. That means connections to past Avatars like Aang.

If I remember correctly this was going to be a miniseries (Legend of Korra) but it's so big it may have a 3 season stint as well. (You're at least going to get a season).

Thanks
    I didn't know it was supposed to be a miniseries until recently. I read it's at least supposed to have 26 episodes from somewhere.

It feels fairly open ended right now. Plot could branch into anything with how they developed it. Who is the man in the mask how does he know that technique Aang did to the firelord, especially if he's not a bender? Could branch off into a full on war, could create a new nation composed of non benders all sorts of possibilities and questions.

Edit: Yeah apparently with the outcry of popularity Nicks giving them another season. If it does as well as I think it will yeah there's definitely a possibility for another.

Thanks
    Yea. It was supposed to be a mini series I think about 12 eps, but it obviously got bigger than that. I can't wait to see how she gets to her Avatar State. I don't think Amon is doing actual energy bending. It's different from when Aang did it at the end. I also read that Amon is only the 1st season's villian but I not sure.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.