Anyone Else Watch Legend of Korra? - Page 4

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, see no.

I can go with the idea the guy may have been a former bender, but see by saying he's energy bending still kills the Equalist movement. It undermines it and makes the whole thing convoluted. It would just be bad writing. The Equalist movement is an interesting dynamic.

Energybending is a specific thing, it took Aang's energy as a bender to do it.

Energy blocking is a different animal that can have the same outcome.

I think being an Equalist is actually an important plot point. The land is developing and what was a running joke when Sokka was the brunt of it - he was a non bender, worthless. So Chi Blocking actually helps level the playing field between non benders and benders. Now people who can't bend can match up to a bender and one that permanently blocks the power is scary and to be feared. It shouldn't have to be about "Energy Bending" - only in the sense that it may have been the learning point for a non bender to use the technique in a non bending fashion.

I think putting it off as simply Energy Bending undermines the whole problem that a non bender has with benders feeling unequal.

I do think Yakone and Amon's stories are related.

This is my theory. Aang was in his 40's with the Yakone incident (least that's what it looked like to me), and Aang died at 66 years of age. I think the firebender that scarred Amon may have been Yakone. It would put him at the right age. I believe he's younger than Tenzin. He's definitely older than Korra. It would put Tenzin at the right age as to why he remembers the incident.

I really see no reason Amon would lie about the incident of being burned. I think it's a strong reason for him to seek change. It's like "Batman"

Tenzin is 51 and the youngest, Kya is the oldest iirc, and Bumi is brother is a non bender. Aang died when Tenzin was 34-35 years of age. Minus 20 years and he'd be about 15 during Yakone's time.
    Pema is 35

They mentioned the Yakone incident happend 40 years ago, which would put Tenzin at 11, but if it's an approximation he may have been older (as I said 15)
    If Amon is in his 40's he could have been about 5 years old with Yakone around, and I think that would put him at the ripe age for a traumatic incident that would have changed him. I think he may have been one of Yakone's victims.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; May 2nd, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good points. Haven't seen the new episode yet so not sure who Yakone is.

I don't see it as just being about the Equalist movement though that's the thing, at least not in the grand scheme. It will be a major point and hell, probably encompass a large amount of the story. I'm not sure where it's going. But I don't see it being bender vs non benders past a certain point. There's always a puppeteer in the background pulling the strings for reasons past the original. At least in this case I think it will. Because the last Avatar was only about war as well. They still haven't gone into the spirit world past a certain point that's new ground. Energy bending it might have been a stretch to expect war with them.

I say the fire bender story sounded a bit phony because it wasn't a detailed account, and it sounds basically like the story avatar did with the earth tribe soldiers extorting the family Zuko came across. Sounded very generic, like it was meant to just resonate with common people. Obviously he's hiding things, there's something important with his mask (didn't even think about it but the mask has a giant red dot on the forehead) and what's behind it.

I'm not sure about the Equalist movement because yes there is oppression. But they already showed at the end of the first avatar how those who didn't bend could already use technology to fight alongside the benders. Sokka got his sword, Sokka's master was a member of the white lotus who took down countless firebenders in battle. The inventors and normal people in the siege of the Fire Nation that failed, the Kiyoshi warriors and their group who could take down benders. Then obviously Ty Lee with Chi Blocking and Mai with knife throwing. The many members of the southern water tribe who barely had any benders. This amplified in the new avatar as there were large groups of people who could chi block, and those who didn't could fight with weapons infused with technology and superior martial arts.

Sokka was portrayed as weak and useless because he lacked any actual fighting training. He lived in the Arctic while the actual warriors were gone for a long time. His big deal when he met his dad again was becoming a man. Because he was still just a kid really. Hell it's why he trained with the Kiyoshi warriors if I'm not mistaken.
    Then went through training with his sword master finally, which was his only real intense training and after that he could take down plenty of benders.

The first arc at the very least will deal with passing technology to the common man to fight oppression probably though.

They're trying to portray how Korra is the opposite of Aang and has to face different challenges though. The same as Aang had to do, the writers are going to make it so Korra has to face obstacles that even the previous avatars haven't. That's why I don't think it's just going to be another war. My guess is at least the spirit world and the other aspects of the avatar they never got into. Since Aang's whole trial was learning the elements in time but Korra obviously is completely different. Aang was a monk and naturally in turn with the spirit world, Korra isn't and is physical. Maybe after the war or during it someones trying to upset the balance of the spirit world which would effect the real world as we saw with the fire nation siege on the northern water tribe and moon/tide stuff.

Edit:

Technically Energy Bending and the spirit world could coincide thinking about it. Since from the lion turtle Energy Bending predates the elements and they were formed out of it. There has to be a connection between it and the avatar which mysteriously can bend all 4 of these that came from it and how the Avatar so far was the only one who could Energy bend at all. Since the Avatar is known as the link between the 2 worlds. If energy bending of any type exists it has to deal with the spirit world probably.

I'm rambling, I just find it an interesting world to think about.

Last edited by JFierce; May 2nd, 2012 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think Sokka grew, but it was just a joke during team Avatar he was a non bender. He wasn't "weak" per say but Toph did give him some ribbing about it. He obviously showed that he would become a better leader and swordsman as his mentor Piandao has noted.

No one said it would erupt into war per say. This is more of a civil rights movement. When you have a society of haves and have nots especially involving a more advanced society, instead of wars, you'll have movements.

So I see more parallels into that and different groups starting to fear each other now that technology has advanced. "Why do we need benders?" ...you can draw parallels into other movements gay marriage, women's rights, race issues...

Also Energybending I believe can go both ways, and it may not just be about removing the bending ability but allowing someone to do it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Could be, it's mysterious what makes a bender bend.

It may not be a localized war as in this kingdom of people that kingdom. But it will be a war in the sense of 'fighting terrorists' which is what these guys basically are portrayed as of sorts (the people involved in the kidnapping and stuff, not the civilians that come to the cause, though they might be included as terrorists if it escalates to a big brother type state. I can picture Tophs daughter implementing something like that with her personality) . That's more of what I viewed it as at least. Might end up as a hydra in the sense you can't cut off the head without more taking it's place. Amon might become a martyr.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    According to the Wiki the Yakone incident happend 42 years before Korra, putting Tenzin at 9 years old.

This would also have had happened before councilman Tarrlok's time as he's stated to be 37 years old.

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/History....93_Present.29

But I gotta look at the transcript I guess to understand the timeline better.

The reason I'm interested in the timeline is it's probably going to place certain characters during events.

For example, while Bolin and Mako have said their parents were lost to a firebender, Amon is older or appears to be older so I don't think it was the same firebender. (but who knows).

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Yakone

BTW if you're in the US Nick has been hosting the eps online on their site http://www.nick.com/videos/legend-of...?navid=showNav

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There we go. Was waiting for it on demand for free but it wasn't out yet.
    Now lets see what all this is about.

Edit:

A bit ways through it. Definitely Chi blocking is a main arsenal.
    Still not sure about Amons though. If it was standard Chi blocking it could be taught since it would just be about pressure points, since that is all Chi blocking is. It's based off a real martial art.
    Don't know yet.

Now that I know who Yakone generally is.
    Was reading other peoples theories. Some say that Yakone is Amon.
    That if he was in his 20's or such he'd still be able to fight because he would be like Bumi was who
    was 115 or 112 and had ridiculous physique. Then Aang took away his bending and that's where he
    saw and learned the premise of removing bending/why he hates and wants to remove benders.
    Also why Korra saw a flashback of Aang vs Yakone.

Does make a bit of sense, though not sure about all that. Seems a bit farfetched.

Last edited by JFierce; May 2nd, 2012 at 07:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was thinking Yakone may have been his father actually.

Same color eyes. I remember some time ago it was stated that Amon was "related" to Zuko. I think the relation may have been the circumstances and not a family relation.

Amon said he was poor, and it's possible Yakone was a firebender disappointed or upset that he didn't get a firebending son and went on a rampage that scarred Amon and killed the mother. But from what it sounded like Yakone definitely wanted control of Republic City.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Need to get one last clue on the back story before I can make a guess. There are theories all over the place out of nowhere, from Yakone killing Sokka and Toph to all sorts of stuff. Honestly I have no idea. All I know is he tried to take Republic City, Aang stopped him. Amon and him are definitely tied together hence the flashback.

After that it could be anything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.nick.com/games/legend-of-...blic-city.html

Fun site. I think they actually did a good job on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While I miss Sokka, Bolin is heavily making up for it. The latest episode was hilarious.

I really loved the lighting done in that episode where Korra was talking with Jinora and Pema. It was not only pretty, it actually captured the mood of that scene so well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    5 was a bit meh episode for me. It was funny, sure but it was too fast paced, even for the nature of this season. rly? MUTUAL FEELS, MAN, MUTUAL?! The also gave Bolin the ugly cry... I wasn't expecting the kiss from the season's trailer so soon either. I can't wait to the big fight for next week though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I watched the entire episode on tumblr gifs and know exactly what happens beforehand, not even joking, people are really, reeeeeally into this show.

If i don´t watch it the exact nanosecond is up or shut down my internet until i get to it i´m screwed out of surprises.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my new thread to learn when new episodes come out lol.
    Will edit to actually give an opinion once I'm done watching

Edit:

lol I laughed. Oh lord, that crying face.
    I think the pacing is different because they're not trying for the same standard journey.
    If they wanted to they could take the monomyth and stereotypical relationships and apply
    it to every single avatar they ever do. I think it's actually playing a bit more off simply reality.
    Personally I like the pacing for these kinds of episodes they could have made a bending tournament
    take 4-5 episodes but they did most of it in 1.

I also think it's funny that a Fire Ferret is literally just an orange panda in real life. Made up a creature that exists actually lol.

Last edited by JFierce; May 7th, 2012 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think Bolin's cry had two emotions coming out at once.

I felt so bad for him but I ended up laughing so hard.

"I told you dating a teammate is a bad idea"

"You're a bad idea!"

I didn't mind the pacing really, it's nice to see it not being this super huge adventure and seeing an Avatar in a sort of daily life, vs running for your life being the last of your kind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I think Bolin's cry had two emotions coming out at once.

I felt so bad for him but I ended up laughing so hard.

"I told you dating a teammate is a bad idea"

"You're a bad idea!"

I didn't mind the pacing really, it's nice to see it not being this super huge adventure and seeing an Avatar in a sort of daily life, vs running for your life being the last of your kind.
    And the fact Bo was basically drunk at the noodle shop. I guess I'm just used to drawn out soap opera-like relationships when they do teenagers on tv. I was just wondering where the mutual feelings came from for Makorra, but I did a mini marathon and noticed subtleties with the scarf thing in ep 3, while with Asami its always around his neck. Another theory from lj is that Korra might be opening her chakras.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dunno if that was "drunk" I'd say that was gorged lol. Gluttony

Well I have a feeling they're still trying to figure it out. I actually liked the maturity of how they're handling the situation overall. They all realize this is a mess instead of still going no you. Not to say that there still won't be that problem but it was Korra that recognized some priorities there and I have to give it to her for that.

The other parts I've been observing is the co mingling of the nations. Asami is considered Fire nation but her eyes are more Earth nation. Mako and Bolin are benders of Earth and Fire which shows how co mingled the occupation was with the Fire Nation stationed in Earth Nation territories. Of course The first novel of the Promise showed that very issue.

Bolin is like...Jack Black lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alcoholic soup?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it just me or is that guy who convinced Korra to join the police force carriyng a big neon sign that reads "You will find out later when i set you up that i have been with the bad guy all along" ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got that impression as well. With the fact that he and others were supposed to be watching the Island Korra was on for chi blockers but did a terrible.... awful job.

That or he's just a politician. Just as bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JDSart View Post
    Is it just me or is that guy who convinced Korra to join the police force carriyng a big neon sign that reads "You will find out later when i set you up that i have been with the bad guy all along" ?
    He could be or you could be giving him too much credit lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think he will be an antagonist though. He may be a season 2 antagonist...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    God damn the latest episode was INTENSE!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was in a hospital with family, tired, then I see a new episode came out oh lord here we go.

And yeah I think at the least he may become an antagonist in the sense that it's likely they'll find that midground where there are bad people on both sides. Republics often have those who gain political power and abuse it. He just seems like the big brother politician type.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This episode was the best yet!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No kidding. My heart was racing the whole time. One thing I love about the whole production is that the animation is just so slick, they really don't leave anything out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awww it's not on their website. Gotta wait for it on TV or something =/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    Awww it's not on their website. Gotta wait for it on TV or something =/
    It airs every Saturday Morning on Nick, I believe towards the end of the week they then put the ep on their website.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The battle scene was amazing

But, "seems like we lost this one" ? seriously? their running away at snail pace on a blimp of all things, you could spot from miles away, how is it over? call the armed forces? the rest of the police force? you have all the city´s resources at your disposal and yet you can´t you track down were that huge thing is going? pay a cab and go, come oooon ;P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JDSart View Post
    The battle scene was amazing

But, "seems like we lost this one" ? seriously? their running away at snail pace on a blimp of all things, you could spot from miles away, how is it over? call the armed forces? the rest of the police force? you have all the city´s resources at your disposal and yet you can´t you track down were that huge thing is going? pay a cab and go, come oooon ;P
    I dunno...I'm waiting on the aftermath of Tarlok setting her up. That and what's gonna go on with Tahno

Also Tenzin is a bit of a player lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was about to watch it finally just now when on the site the first thing on the front page "WHAT HAPPENS WHEN PRO BENDERS LOSE THEIR BENDING?!" with sad faces of the opposing team. Lord I'm hoping that wasn't spoilers lol.

Will edit as I go. Hospital internet sucks.
    Also I need to stop reading other peoples responses lol.
    Got slight spoilers already.

Edit: Ok finally saw it.
    God damn.... dat fight scene. Fucking movie quality animation in regular episodes.
    Looks like they're investing their money from the previous series well.

The blimp escape didn't bug me because if you noticed they captured one metal bender blimp.
    and the skies were clear. Meaning they probably took down all the ready accessible ones.
    It's the fastest mode of transport I'm betting in the world they have. So by the time
    they got one and gave chase they would be long gone. Ditched the blimp somewhere and vanish.
    You can try to track them but once again they'd ditch the blimp and they're obviously quite good
    at hiding their presence/trail and disappearing. As well as having allies who would hide them.

and yeah Tarlok is definitely questionable.
    He has to be in league with the 'higher ups' past Amon. Amon is the center stage distraction.
    While all the big shit goes on behind closed doors.

I'm liking the Iron Man gloves. It looks like they're heading down the tech route with the iron man glove.
    for fighting benders more so than Chi Blocking so far. Which makes sense.
    Also they're adding onto the point that regular people have the power to fight since I doubt the people in
    the crowd were chi blockers as he said. More so regular people testing the new tech.
    The real fight will come when it's a tech battle. Obviously you can fortify against stun gloves/batons
    so then new bigger weapons will come out and new tech.

Last edited by JFierce; May 15th, 2012 at 06:40 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.