Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Reminder.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahel View Post
    Hm... something that constitutes a group... I think IOW already did zodiac, no? How about chinese zodiac? Too cliche? I was thinking something that could potentially be used for something, like say a 2013 calendar that we can maybe put out for CA.
    Since each month is represented by an animal, that would be a great theme if we decided to combine with COW

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
    Since each month is represented by an animal, that would be a great theme if we wanted to combine with COW
    Or, take the months themselves as characters. Or both, illustrated in context of what usually happens that time of year. Hm, that sounds more like an IOW crossover though. But yeah, in any case, just throwing out some ideas

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In my opinion, I think we should step away from the whole CHoW that, IoW that and just do a big team weekly where most parts are represented.

For example, each team must create the following:
    - Big evil monster boss (CoW)
    - Hero protagonist (CHoW)
    - Heros main weapon (IDW)
    - Place where hero comes from (EoW)
    - Epic fight scene illustration (IOW)

Say a month for the first four then an additional two weeks on the last one or something.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aksel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,803 Times in 941 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    @Nyctalgia, interesting proposition, it might work well

M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a really good idea, Nyctalgia. I can get behind that one.

Actually that way the normal activities could possibly continue as usual instead of going on hold for a month, since you're only using a little bit of each.

I like. What would it be called? Just a general "Team Challenge" or something?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oho, a challenge package deal, sounds good. Seems a lot like design for a hypothetical game though, but hey, either way it's still a a pretty good idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seems a lot like design for a hypothetical game though
    probably why i like it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Although... thinking more about it, wouldn't this be kind of parallel to the past team chows with (a)protagonist design, and then having an antagonist with (b)good vs. evil? I mean, the idea of being able to cover all the challenge types is still a pretty solid one, but perhaps with a slightly different theme?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think with this idea, it's about focusing on the character and fleshing out different aspects of their world. The focus isn't good vs evil or on a group.

I'm a bit wary of getting too specific of a theme, just because I like to see how much variety people can come up with. On the other hand limitations can sometimes spark creativity. Either way is fine with me.

Last edited by Ian Barker; May 14th, 2012 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I suppose both would have their own pros and cons. I just think that we could maybe try some different avenues, since we're going full blown concept art here. Some ideas I could think of right now, for example:

Design a family. What do they look like (chow), where do they live, what time, what setting (eow). What do they do for a living, or maybe what does their car look like (idow), do they have pets? (cow) What does a day in their life look like (iow)? Some good examples I can think of would be the Robinsons from (from Meet the Robinsons), and the Addam's Family.

School for the gifted. What do the students and professors/teachers look like (chow) What kind of school is it, what setting? (eow) What do they learn, do they learn magic, martial arts, music etc? Do they use tools for this? (idow) And maybe we can even throw in a creature or two. A couple of examples off the top of my head, Hogwarts (Harry Potter), and dragon hunting (How to Train Your Dragon), but of yeah, it could be anything really.

Personally though, I wouldn't mind going with either broad or specific topics since for me the whole team challenge is pretty new. I just think that maybe pinning down a general concept might be a good idea because anyway the rest is really up to interpretation of the teams, and it's always so amazing to see how many different interpretations people can come up with. Hanging out at the chow boards has taught me that much. (There'd always be that guy who'd be like bam! here's mine and I'm left with hot damn why didn't I think of that, that's awesome.)

Anyway anyway, my two cents.

Last edited by Kahel; May 15th, 2012 at 05:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Soooooo

is an admin going to make the decision on this?

i still like Nyctalgia's idea, but i don't think anything can happen until we can get someone to make an official announcement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyctalgia View Post
    You know, we could also add POW to this. It would only have to be a page or two since there's a bunch of other work to be done, but it would add something nice to the final product and would keep that activity from being left out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll start working on this tonight.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aksel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    aight, lets get this underway, ill contact my lovely co-moderator

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i am glad people reacted to this well

M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, can't wait can't wait can't wait!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    would be fun indeed - thanks for bringing it up Mateja and I'd love to join in.

SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dan liimatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah awesome, as dan said thanks M fro bringing it up - id love to join too!

and Nyctalgia - i love that idea!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to RaphaelLuebke For This Useful Post:

Pixie Trick is offline Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 778 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyctalgia View Post
    In my opinion, I think we should step away from the whole CHoW that, IoW that and just do a big team weekly where most parts are represented.

Say a month for the first four then an additional two weeks on the last one or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
    I think with this idea, it's about focusing on the character and fleshing out different aspects of their world. The focus isn't good vs evil or on a group.

I'm a bit wary of getting too specific of a theme, just because I like to see how much variety people can come up with. On the other hand limitations can sometimes spark creativity. Either way is fine with me.
    Does anybody remember that big underwater forum event? All the community activities were involved and it was really broad; I think the whole theme was just 'create an underwater civilization', and you could design various elements of this hypothetical civilization and then submit your designs to the appropriate weekly(ies) depending on which areas you focused on (architecture, fashion, ecology, narrative, etc). It kind of sounds to me that you guys basically want to do something like that again but use the team idea along with it.

Damn, what was that thing called. It had a one-word name, like Underwater or something, but I don't think that was it.

Edit: It was called 'Deep' http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=125901

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @dierat, did this ever happen?
    If not, then it might be just to "broad" and people will get bored, or lazy, or occupied with other stuff

M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think there really needs to be some kinda of driving purpose behind the event. I don't know about eveyone else here, but I like it when things blow up, when good is pitted against evil, when the fate of the world is in the balance. You know, when what you're designing really feels like it matters. It has to tell some kinda story... or it'll be boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah it happened, check out the thread about it; it was a big thing. For one month just about everybody was drawing mermaids and underwater castles and all that. I'm not saying it has to be quite that broad, but it shows one way something like this can be approached.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=125901

28. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorinji_Knight View Post
    I think there really needs to be some kinda of driving purpose behind the event. I don't know about eveyone else here, but I like it when things blow up, when good is pitted against evil, when the fate of the world is in the balance. You know, when what you're designing really feels like it matters. It has to tell some kinda story... or it'll be boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by dierat View Post
    Yeah it happened, check out the thread about it; it was a big thing. For one month just about everybody was drawing mermaids and underwater castles and all that. I'm not saying it has to be quite that broad, but it shows one way something like this can be approached.
    Agreed. Doesn't even need to be theme really, since people seem to find this restrictive, but some sort of direction will be good in going about a project this big. As a team event, with people having different styles and design aesthetics coming together, I think it would help somehow in getting everyone on the same page.

Pixie Trick is offline Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Deep was pretty massive to the point logging onto CA made me feel almost waterlogged! Good god, I can't believe that was 4 years ago. I think its important that there were some pretty significant prizes and advertizing banners everywhere for about a month before and during the event as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Is there a thread somewhere with all the final entries for Deep? The whole event happened when I was a lurker and before I started posting, so my memory is a little fuzzy on it, but if I remember correctly not very many people actually finished their entries due to the scale of the project and the long deadline and the end of it was a little anti-climactic...

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Trick View Post
    Deep was pretty massive to the point logging onto CA made me feel almost waterlogged! Good god, I can't believe that was 4 years ago. I think its important that there were some pretty significant prizes and advertizing banners everywhere for about a month before and during the event as well.
    There will be a big prize for this one, and hopefully banners will be put up to help get a big turn out (still waiting on that part). And since facebook, Twitter, etc have become more important over the years, it should be pretty easy to spread the word. Also it will probably be announced before the theme is announced to give people time to find teams and get hype up (which is what happened last time).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sonea View Post
    Is there a thread somewhere with all the final entries for Deep?
    There was no single final thread, so the submissions are separated into the different weekly categories (though some submissions were submitted to multiple threads if they covered several topics).

CHOW: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=129196
    COW: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=129459
    EOW: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1817702
    IDW: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=128919
    POW: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=130299

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sonea View Post
    if I remember correctly not very many people actually finished their entries due to the scale of the project and the long deadline and the end of it was a little anti-climactic...
    Yeah I think that's a good summary of the downside to it. Month-long events always run the risk of being forgotten by the time it's over, and then the judging takes forever and we never seem to find out who won. And it sounds good in theory to be able to design all the different aspects of this hypothetical world, but people get overwhelmed by the complexity and go back to simpler, more straight-forward projects. I was thinking that perhaps working on it as a team and therefore being able to divide the work up between several people might help make a project like that become more manageable, but it also might just make it more complicated, I dunno.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Um, maybe slightly off topic, but it I remember when I started posting here at CA, there was a contest running. Nightmares and daydreams, was it? Or something like that. I can't seem to find the thread, but anyway, that was also sort of a group (pair?) activity that lasted a month or so, wasn't it? Whatever happened to that one?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Um, maybe slightly off topic, but it I remember when I started posting here at CA, there was a contest running. Nightmares and daydreams, was it? Or something like that. I can't seem to find the thread, but anyway, that was also sort of a group (pair?) activity that lasted a month or so, wasn't it? Whatever happened to that one?
    That sounds familiar. I think it was about 4 years ago or so, because I had just started posting. I think Randis won with this entry.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.