NSFW - Sexual Situation Reminder..... - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Reminder.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aksel here, just chiming in.

I'm willing to stand behind a team challenge, be it CHOW, IOW or something else entirely.

About the IOW badges, I'm rather puzzled, as they show up perfectly fine for me. So we'll have to get the higher ups to take a look.

PxelSlayer, incentive is all well and good if the higher ups were more present. I've given out workshops and downloads before in the Teen Challenges, but I paid for them all myself. But I'll end up rather poor if I'm going to do it very often.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 395 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyctalgia View Post
    PxelSlayer, incentive is all well and good if the higher ups were more present. I've given out workshops and downloads before in the Teen Challenges, but I paid for them all myself. But I'll end up rather poor if I'm going to do it very often.
    Agreed.
    I guess this is the time when we build an altar, bring in a couple of oxes and virgins and light up that sucka.

Also, kudos to you for going the extra mile and providing those videos on your own. Respect

P.S. Irrelevant to all this, I won an IOW but have no badge. Would wear it with pride. ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am definitely down for another go at the Team Chow

This sounds exciting.

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Incentives are cool but I honestly think just the idea of working with other people is a motivator in itself. The crossover of IOW with any of the other weekly activities sound pretty good actually. It can be sort of like one of the requirements, like, for CHOW/COWxIOW provide proper turnarounds plus an illustration putting everything in context. People often like to do that anyway, but almost always (in CHOW, for instance), one suffers for the sake of the other (i.e., more effort is put into the final illustration and character sheets get rushed or vice versa). I think this might be something that can benefit from having some sort of division of labor among teamates. Well, and since the idea is already out there, why not make it into a weekly (bi-weeky?) team challenge where there can be reshuffling of themes (i.e., crossover combinations) and members even? Pros of member reshuffling: working with different people, and only people who can commit to the current challenge will be in the round. Cons: probably no long term team building/dynamics and no real defending champions or something like that. Although ok, actually I'm not really sure because I wasn't around when team chow was running, but were there permanent teams back then? (Because if there weren't then feel free to ignore what I said just now haha -__-;; )

Last edited by Kahel; May 11th, 2012 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The challenge would have to last about a month just because a lot of team members would have thier real jobs to take care of. Also it would take at least a couple of days to form a team. Realistically it would probably be a tight deadline at a month if you figure forming a team, establishing workflow, concepting, finalizing ideas and producing the finished illustrations. Before with team CHOW I believe that the number of team members effected the number of characters that had to be designed.
    Also, it would just be like another weekly if it happened all the time.

I'm calling dibs on the team name 'Chroma Control'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PxelSlayer View Post
    Agreed.
    P.S. Irrelevant to all this, I won an IOW but have no badge. Would wear it with pride. ^_^
    Your badge shows up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahel View Post
    Although ok, actually I'm not really sure because I wasn't around when team chow was running, but were there permanent teams back then? (Because if there weren't then feel free to ignore what I said just now haha -__-;; )
    Different teams were organized for each round (though you could keep your old team if you wanted).

The problem with weekly team challenges is simply that making something as a team on the internet takes a lot longer due to conflicting schedules and waiting for communication.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
    Your badge shows up for me.
    Really?

All I get is this -
    Name:  bla.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  38.7 KB

No IOW badges showing up at all...weird.

Oh well, irrelevant, what counts is - can we get a team chow or iow or a weird love child of those two? Clearly, if the public has spoken up, the time is right...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reminder.....
    Well I guess at least you're getting recognition from some mystery boarders out there...

I think we just need to get the attention of an admin that can make things happen. Not sure who that would be, I don't see too many active admins these days. Maybe Arshes?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pxel, you're not crazy. I can't see your badge either. Super weird how it shows up for some people and not others. O.o

'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 790 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The badge shows up for me but as a broken image icon.

I'm curious how a team IOW would work in terms of splitting the work up between several people. Maybe the objective could be to do a series of images, like a few different cards for a trading card expansion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I, too, see the badges. I'm curious, what browsers do you use? Any ad-blockers or similar software? OS? etc etc

dierat, that is actually a great idea. A themed expansion pack style of things would be awesome.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 747 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyctalgia View Post
    I, too, see the badges. I'm curious, what browsers do you use? Any ad-blockers or similar software? OS? etc etc
    I'm on Chrome with no extensions and I see a broken image on both my desktop (PC) and laptop (Mac).

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm on Firefox, OSX Lion, with AdBlock Plus installed and they show up fine.

Cards are a cool idea, but we did tarot cards for team chow II, so that could be considered a little repetitive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
    The problem with weekly team challenges is simply that making something as a team on the internet takes a lot longer due to conflicting schedules and waiting for communication.
    True true... Monthly then? Or is that too long? Shall we give it a try? Theoretically I (or anyone else for that matter) could already start at least a team signup thread. Or... would that be impolite without mod approval?

And Pxel, I don't see the badge at all as well. On Firefox.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't see the badges and I'm on Firefox with adblock. But I doubt it's related.

'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahel View Post
    True true... Monthly then? Or is that too long? Shall we give it a try? Theoretically I (or anyone else for that matter) could already start at least a team signup thread. Or... would that be impolite without mod approval?
    Each community challenge group has a person or two that organize it. It's up to them to officially initiate anything. And we would need administrative help to make it seem like a big event (with banners and prizes and such), as it has been in the past.

I was actually thinking about that monthly thing. It still doesn't make sense to do it every month, because although it's fun to do a team challenge now and then, generally people want to work on their own art because they have a specific vision, want to add to their portfolio, etc. It's easy to predict that it would lose popularity in just a couple months. However, it might work to do an orderly run through of all the different challenges. Month 1, team CHoW. Month 2, team COW. Month 3, team IOW and so on. Possibly they would all have a connecting theme, and maybe have a month break in between each. And then once we've gone through the activities, give it a year's rest or something. I dunno, that much team activity would most likely be overkill. Personally I would like to simply do team chow IV (maybe combined with COW), but that's just my opinion and I don't mind bouncing around ideas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A month wouldn't be too long for a team to produce 4 or 5 images. They would have to do all of the concepting and sumit it for their team's approval before each member could work on any final illustrations. Also, for this to work the first round has to produce some awesome artwork or everyone will lose interest. So I'm in favor of a one month duration.

Edit: I like Liffey's idea of rotating the challenges.

Last edited by Shorinji_Knight; May 12th, 2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Read Liffey's post

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aha, I see. I guess I just automatically assumed that team chow used to be a regular thing at the chow boards that just died out. Now I'm getting the impression that it had more competitive nature than the usual chow, which I guess would make sense all things considered. But anyway yeah, now that you mentioned it, you're right; monthly might not work so well. The challenge rotation idea sounds pretty good too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here`s the thing - Team chows were...an event. A spectacle of awesomeness, badassery and amazing "so-epic-my-eyes-are-bleeding" art. It actually drew out all the high end artist, who are lurking here, out and they showed us what they are made of. And, for the rest of us normal mortals we got a chance to go clash with them head to head, spite the fact our chances of winning were next to non- existent. It brought out the courage, the spite, the pride and that drive to create. It was...epic.

I`m pretty sure I`m not the only one who noticed that the climate here at CA has... changed. There`s more and more talk, but less and less art. Even chow, the most popular group activity, is slowly loosing on contestants and people generally interested to participate. Gosh, I remember times when there were so many entries submitted, some of them had to be cut down. We`re talking about 50+ works here. Now - we`re lucky if we get 20. And that`s on rare occasions too.

We need this. CA needs this. It was the stuff that made this site epic. People want it. People miss it. I`d hate it all to be shut down due to technicalities like admins not responding or the higher-ups being MIA.

21. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to PxelSlayer For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PxelSlayer is right. Everybody has weeklies now. CA used to be, if not the first, almost the first to do them. There need to be a big push for team activities here cause the site needs some new life. Also, I think a whole new group of artist here could really make a splash if they were given half a chance. Maybe the site could offer collecting card decks from the team challenges. That would pay for any expenses. It would be easy to do with moo.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PixelSlayer on the mf'ing $$. And that's why I'm hesitant about doing team IOW or team COW. If we do something other than CHoW, it still needs to be combined with CHoW, because that's the big draw, and has the potential to revitalize CA a little bit.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dead on on all fronts PxelSlayer.

I'm completely up to helping out in any event, though I think a team ChOW is our best bet. All the weeklies need a boost.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixie Trick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, well I think that's it's time to take the next step. It seems as though the higher-ups aren't reading this thread, so I guess the best thing would be to write a little proposal and somehow get their attention. Jason is probably the one to bring it to since he has the ability to give incentives as well as promote it. I don't know if he responds to PMs here, but I can probably let him know on facebook or something, and hopefully he'll be interested in lending a hand.

As for the write-up, something like this?

"Hi Jason! The members of CA.org are interested in starting another round of Team CHoW, and we were hoping that we could get your help. This would be only the 4th Team CHoW in CA's history, and we feel that by making it feel like a real event, we can get a lot of interest and a lot of healthy activity on the forums. PixelSlayer expressed it well in this post. We are hoping that you would be willing to assist as far as promoting it (perhaps a banner on CA.org) and offering incentives (such as free downloads for the winners for example).

As for the theme, we're waiting for administrative approval since they will likely want input on that matter, but one possibility we've discussed is combining Team CHoW with COW (example: design characters and their pets/steeds), IOW (do orthographic views plus full illustration for each character) or EOW (example: design the group of characters and their homeland).

I hope you think this would be a good idea, as we are very excited at the prospect of increasing interest in the community activities and of course, in creating lots of great art. Hope to hear back from you."

Something like that. Consider that a rough draft and feel free to edit it or re-do it.

Last edited by Ian Barker; May 14th, 2012 at 02:39 PM.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds good. You should probably point him to this thread also. I think it would help if he read PixelSlayer's post, because he put to words what so many of us feel.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorinji_Knight View Post
    Sounds good. You should probably point him to this thread also. I think it would help if he read PixelSlayer's post, because he put to words what so many of us feel.
    Will do. I'll wait till tomorrow to send it in case there are anymore suggestions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work Liffey. No suggestions but eagerly waiting for anything that might come out of this.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,992 Times in 2,558 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    How about a grand prize...all downloads to each of the winning team. I will think about what else we can do. All these ideas and the help is appreciated beyond words. Thanks for the inspiration too.

This place will get the new life. I work on 4.0 daily and we have a bunch of things in the oven. It is taking more time than expected...if only I could code.

With that said...I'd hope the 50 or so downloads will work as a worthy prize for something like this. Let me know what you think.

Jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,992 Times in 2,558 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Plz let me know how else I can be of assistance too.

JM

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay, he's here!

Now that would be an epic prize. This should be good.

Next step I think is to settle on a theme. For reference, past chow themes were:
    Group of protagonists (there were 6 character profiles, each pretty flexible)
    Good & Evil
    Tarot Cards

It's best to do a flexible theme like those for a big event, because you don't want to alienate people. If we end up combining themes , for example 'characters and their pets' or 'characters and their home planet', that might be all the theme we need.

Last edited by Ian Barker; May 14th, 2012 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm... something that constitutes a group... I think IOW already did zodiac, no? How about chinese zodiac? Too cliche? I was thinking something that could potentially be used for something, like say a 2013 calendar that we can maybe put out for CA.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.