Art: newbie
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 33

Thread: newbie

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Da Nang, Vietnam
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    newbie

    Hello everybody. i'm start painting for over a year but i feel something missing in my Artworks. I need your comments, crits and advices to improve my concepts.
    i'm very appreciated
    (sorry for my bad English)




    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    143
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Wow, I think your art is a bit better than a newbie...
    I reckon just practice more and you'll eventually experience a bit of an enlightenment.


    Twitter

    The Sketchbook of the Noob

    Salvete, sum discipulus Latinae laetissimus!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to L4xord For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Da Nang, Vietnam
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    @l4Xord: thanks
    added a pic here. this one using 3dsmax and photoshop

    and the character concept a few months ago

    i still need your comments to improve my skill

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    In front of my workstation
    Posts
    627
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 238 Times in 182 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Seems like you're not familiar with value separation which is a common mistake when using colors. Anyway those are not bad for a year of practice, you should focus more on subjects and composition than mixing things with textures and 3d cause this kind of things will make you loose focus on the thing you're showing off in your drawings.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Da Nang, Vietnam
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsu//San View Post
    Seems like you're not familiar with value separation which is a common mistake when using colors. Anyway those are not bad for a year of practice, you should focus more on subjects and composition than mixing things with textures and 3d cause this kind of things will make you loose focus on the thing you're showing off in your drawings.
    yes! that's what i'm looking for. Thanks for comment.
    BTW, could you give me some samples or ways to study the Value?
    My personal conditions doesn't allow me to go to Design school, so i try to figure them all by myself

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    In front of my workstation
    Posts
    627
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 238 Times in 182 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Yeah gimme a sec, i'll search the post, i've already talked about this thing with samples too...
    Here it is!

    If it's not clear enough let me know!

    Last edited by Hitsu//San; March 25th, 2012 at 07:40 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Da Nang, Vietnam
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsu//San View Post
    Yeah gimme a sec, i'll search the post, i've already talked about this thing with samples too...
    Here it is!

    If it's not clear enough let me know!
    Oh...thanks a lot.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Da Nang, Vietnam
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    here is another try. My personal opinion is...still suck :|
    Need your comments to improve more and more


    Last edited by novaillusion; March 29th, 2012 at 10:43 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Da Nang, Vietnam
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Edna236 View Post
    Hello everybody. i'm start painting for over a year but i feel something missing in my Artworks.
    hi. why you repeat my sentence???

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    In front of my workstation
    Posts
    627
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 238 Times in 182 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hey nova, still the same problem.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Da Nang, Vietnam
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsu//San View Post
    Hey nova, still the same problem.
    yeah. Look like i'm stuck with the same problem for over a long time
    Feel uncomfortable when drawing something. maybe the problem is not about technical anymore. It's about myself

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Da Nang, Vietnam
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    try again. I won't give up!


    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 15 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I would have to say that the concept by itself looks absolutely gorgeous. The only problem in my opinion is composition. All the subjects in your paintings seem to be focussed in the center. I suggest that you look up the Rules of Thirds and work that out into your paintings, also a good idea might be looking in the tutorial section and checking out the online video tutorials by Feng Zhu. I'll be sure that upon checking some of those things out and implementing those techniques into your art will help you develop majorly.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Da Nang, Vietnam
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Redystra View Post
    I would have to say that the concept by itself looks absolutely gorgeous. The only problem in my opinion is composition. All the subjects in your paintings seem to be focussed in the center. I suggest that you look up the Rules of Thirds and work that out into your paintings, also a good idea might be looking in the tutorial section and checking out the online video tutorials by Feng Zhu. I'll be sure that upon checking some of those things out and implementing those techniques into your art will help you develop majorly.
    thanks. I already subscribed FZD channel for three months. Fengzhu is awesome


    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  18. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    In front of my workstation
    Posts
    627
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 238 Times in 182 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    The last piece have a far better value separation, i don't think it's a big problem anyway, you only need to learn to see it!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  19. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Da Nang, Vietnam
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsu//San View Post
    The last piece have a far better value separation, i don't think it's a big problem anyway, you only need to learn to see it!
    yeah. i'm unstable in creation someway

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  20. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    In front of my workstation
    Posts
    627
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 238 Times in 182 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Well it's not so unknown that most starters are unstable in creation cause can happen accidentally that you create shapes and comps that are good without knowing exactly how and why. When you become really good at this you keep making mistakes during the process but the difference is that you will know how to fix it properly. So... it's a matter of time, when you learn to see mistakes you'll be able to fix em

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  21. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Da Nang, Vietnam
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsu//San View Post
    Well it's not so unknown that most starters are unstable in creation cause can happen accidentally that you create shapes and comps that are good without knowing exactly how and why. When you become really good at this you keep making mistakes during the process but the difference is that you will know how to fix it properly. So... it's a matter of time, when you learn to see mistakes you'll be able to fix em
    so i think i must spend more time on my artwork

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  22. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Da Nang, Vietnam
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    and here is my lastest concept




    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  23. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I need your comments, crits and advices to improve my concepts.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  24. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    In front of my workstation
    Posts
    627
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 238 Times in 182 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Same problem, you're doing too much without considering value separation. Those rib shapes are valued as foreground when they have to be background. Your midground has to be your focus, which means that most of your color tone have to be there in the subject, by putting there pure black it makes it hard to read.

    Here it is how it should be (it took me 3 minutes to do this, most of my time have been spent on putting two images together, hope you don't mind):

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  25. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Da Nang, Vietnam
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsu//San View Post
    Same problem, you're doing too much without considering value separation. Those rib shapes are valued as foreground when they have to be background. Your midground has to be your focus, which means that most of your color tone have to be there in the subject, by putting there pure black it makes it hard to read.

    Here it is how it should be (it took me 3 minutes to do this, most of my time have been spent on putting two images together, hope you don't mind):
    arrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh....why i dont see this when doing the painting :-O
    thanks for fixing. Maybe i need a new monitor :lol:

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  26. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    In front of my workstation
    Posts
    627
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 238 Times in 182 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by novaillusion View Post
    arrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh....why i dont see this when doing the painting :-O
    thanks for fixing. Maybe i need a new monitor :lol:
    Oh that's freaking important! I forgot about this but the first thing to do is to calibrate a monitor and it's not easy at all. Generally high end monitor have a really nice calibration but most of them need to be tweaked. Search for guides about calibrating your monitor for digital painting or you can print an image and use that to calibrate (keep in mind that printers tend to print darker than the monitor image cause monitors are back lit so they must be lighter).

    Anyway we can't spot mistakes so easily cause our brain got used to the image we work on. That's why we must flip the canvas to check perspective or set the image in black and white to check values

    Last edited by Hitsu//San; April 4th, 2012 at 04:31 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  27. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Da Nang, Vietnam
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsu//San View Post
    Oh that's freaking important! I forgot about this but the first thing to do is to calibrate a monitor and it's not easy at all. Generally high end monitor have a really nice calibration but most of them need to be tweaked. Search for guides about calibrating your monitor for digital painting or you can print an image and use that to calibrate (keep in mind that printers tend to print darker than the monitor image cause monitors are back lit so they must be lighter).

    Anyway we can't spot mistakes so easily cause our brain got used to the image we work on. That's why we must flip the canvas to check perspective or set the image in black and white to check values
    i usually paint in black and white first, but maybe my backlit is lighter than normal (it's pretty old...about 4 years). it's time for a little tweak!. I dont have intent to print my artwork(dont have a printer too!). ANW, thanks again

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  28. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Da Nang, Vietnam
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    it's hard to do sth when time is running out. this took 3h of my weekend.

    and here is the DeviantArt version
    http://novaillusion.deviantart.com/#/d4vjke2

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  29. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    wonderful job, use corel painter .. really great tool for creative guys like us

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  30. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    In front of my workstation
    Posts
    627
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 238 Times in 182 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Looks better Nova, seems that you're trying to apply some value separation but are you sure that the color you've used is in fact a lighter value than the thing you want to separate? I don't think it is, but i'm only using my eyes here.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  31. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Da Nang, Vietnam
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsu//San View Post
    Looks better Nova, seems that you're trying to apply some value separation but are you sure that the color you've used is in fact a lighter value than the thing you want to separate? I don't think it is, but i'm only using my eyes here.
    you mean the Ship must be darker?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  32. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    In front of my workstation
    Posts
    627
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 238 Times in 182 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    No. Look at the left of your img. There's a light source that's fading the structure behind the ship (or at least that should be). Now if that light source is created by the structure itself or it's simply the atmospheric depth is either the wrong value.

    If there's a light source coming from the structure then it should be lighter than the structure itself (and lighter than the ship) but in that case you choose the color. If it's atmospheric depth then that light should be blue as the sky but lighter (this is because in our planet the air reflects in blue and there is a certain amount of air between the camera and the bottom of your ship and the structure).

    Is it more clear?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  33. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Da Nang, Vietnam
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsu//San View Post
    No. Look at the left of your img. There's a light source that's fading the structure behind the ship (or at least that should be). Now if that light source is created by the structure itself or it's simply the atmospheric depth is either the wrong value.

    If there's a light source coming from the structure then it should be lighter than the structure itself (and lighter than the ship) but in that case you choose the color. If it's atmospheric depth then that light should be blue as the sky but lighter (this is because in our planet the air reflects in blue and there is a certain amount of air between the camera and the bottom of your ship and the structure).

    Is it more clear?
    oh...i undestood. sorry for my bad english

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •