Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Thanks for the paintover, I appreciate it.
    But this was meant to be an overcast day, I don't really want to change the time of day to bring that much darkness into the background. I feel like Blankslate's PO is on the right track without taking away the feeling I was going for. Perhaps she can also be set apart through saturation, or maybe the value shift could be more subtle. I'm trying to find an example in Sargents work of an overcast day, this is the best I can do I think: http://www.johnsingersargent.org/On-...ays-large.html
    where he does seem to have light on lights and it works well. Now I just need to figure out why.

I looked at Howard Pyle's painting a lot, especially for the water. I see how the figures are separated here, I need to figure out how to do that with a separate sea and sky.

Would like some advice
    Last edited by carakhan; March 26th, 2012 at 07:52 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to carakhan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi carakhan,
    I Really like the image and am glad you decided to keep working on it. What if you were to make the shadows richer and warmer, and light the scene from above to really accentuate the effect of an overcast day? I made a rough paint with an idea of what it could look like. Hope this helps.

BTW That Pyle image really is fantastic.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JavierP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I accidentally rated your post 2/10 JavierP - sorry about that! I really like the colours in your paintover. I also like your work Carakhan - particularly the cloud shapes and rock details.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jess403 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 939 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jess403 View Post
    I accidentally rated your post 2/10 JavierP - sorry about that! I really like the colours in your paintover. I also like your work Carakhan - particularly the cloud shapes and rock details.
    Let me guess, you were looking for page 2?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hah I rated you 10 JavierP Balance it out a bit.

And thank you for the paintover! It's a really cool interpretation to see it like this, very impressionist. I like what you did with the the composition in the bg, I wonder what that will do to my perspective on the rock but it looks really cool. I also like some of the little lighting changes you've made on her legs, You're probably right about the overcast day, greys tend to be warm and so in reality the shadows would be warm as well, but I specifically wanted a cold, dark (feeling) palette, but no sunrays and not at night...cloudy. (Now I really don't know if I'm making sense) Maybe I could have cold light and warm shadows... I'll have to play around with it. I hope you don't think I'm dismissing you because I really appreciate the work you did. Your paintover is just much warmer and more inviting than I wanted - and maybe its something I need to think about if that's not coming across either.

I didn't want to post it yet because I hadn't really addressed all the notes but this is the most current version I put in my sketchbook a few days ago. Darkened the background to push her off while maintaining the brightness of her skin (a la the wonderful Pyle painting), smoothed out some of her skin, tried painting a little warmth into her as well, some blue bounce into her hair (standin) and other things I'm probably forgetting. Been working a lot of OT, hoping to get back to this this weekend. Thank you all so much for your time and crits!

Would like some advice
    Last edited by carakhan; March 30th, 2012 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks
    JavierP - I tried some of your suggestions, pushing the ocean up and back, but ultimately didn't work with the perspective I had and I liked my rocks as is I did decide to make the shadows warmer, which I think works really nicely.
    Worked some more on rounding out the legs, bringing down the skin but still keeping some brighter highlights. Warmth in the face, and brought some shape into the hair and the bounce light. Overall very happy with this, and I couldn't have done it without you guys! I might even be able to call this finished, IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2