Follows
    Following
    ^ thanks for posting!
    here's an update summary for those interested in downloading:
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/22/a...shop-cs6-beta/
    those would be most interesting for painters imo:
    Brushes
    - HUD brush resize and hardness can now change opacity
    - Increase brush size to 5000px (sup corel)
    - Change color dynamics to per stroke instead of per tip (user option for old behavior)
    - Brightness/contrast slider for textures when painting
    - Brush projection for static tips
    - Brush cursor reflects brush dynamics for round and captured tips (sup corel)

Eyedropper
    - Show the sample size popup for the various eyedropper tools (black point, white point,
    etc.)
    - Add ignore adjustment layers options bar item for the eyedropper
    - New mode for eyedropper to select layers current and below (sup corel)

just ran it for the first time - they've slightly patched up the brush engine + added a few painteresque brushes
    (most notable, the tilt sensitive pencils, something that corel added in painter 11, and tilt-sensitive spray splatter - that painter had for ages)
    now if they add a direct well/resaturation blending and rendered bristle, inking, palette knife and flat brushes, painter's future will be very dim and sad, as if it wasn't already.
    everything else brushwise adobe pretty much has in this or that way.
    love the demo so far, interface is super fast, zooming in/out is bugless, picture is pixel-precise clean (something I don't really have in painter, and I didn't like corel's fullscreen blurring in painter 12)
    ps: adobe's dark grey theme looks better than painters.

Last edited by ikken; March 22nd, 2012 at 04:45 AM.
    on the fourth day of glitchmas my painterô gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, Adobe just upped the ante.

Adobe: Corel your move.
    Corel: Huh, oh sorry, i was busy fixing bugs...err oh.

Ok i'm going to say it. Am i the only person who feels Corel should sell Painter to Adobe?

There are only 3 reasons i'm still using painter
    i, Brush calibration
    ii, Mixer Palette
    iii, errrrr...Android Jones?

Yes, i said it! let the Yoga Flames begin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    either adobe or autodesk (btw, painter IX's manager currently works for AD)
    I'm afraid they will never sell painter separately without the bloat of no1curr corelware

to be honest I love painter and its (difficult for many) workflow I find very artistic and intuitive
    but it only applies to painter of past, right now, for every improvement they make, a whole bunch of ugly bugs crawl from every corner
    and if I can't bother for 3 updates in a row, there's something wrong with programs direction

(sorry for turning this into painterflame, I couldn't help myself!!)

four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love painter too. That's what makes all this even more frustrating. It's like that student with GREAT potential who just chooses the wrong path.

You'd think with all this Corel would at least release a public Beta first. But, nooooo...

I think it's a good move on Adobe's part to release this public beta. I don't know if they've ever done this before. If not. Great move.

(Hmm..you are right. this thread could easily turn into a Flame thread)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the information. I've read a few things about CS6 and didn't see much about brushes or other painting related features so it's good to know that there are improvements there too.

Personally, I don't think it's really necessary to stick a finger up at Corel or the Painter team, even if much of what you say is true. My impression is that they are - now - genuinely listening and trying to improve their product. Whether they can is another matter. If PS manages to surpass Painter's superior brushes then I'll do all my painting there but I hope Corel can still take their product forward and compete with Adobe in this sector. After all, Adobe may have good reason to try to actively develop this side of their application.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HugeBlack View Post
    You'd think with all this Corel would at least release a public Beta first.
    this is precisely what they do with release builds of painter 11 and 12 tbh, except they don't call them betas.
    it took both recent painters versions at least 9 months after release to become somewhat less bugged and more stable.

oh, and I think it's first photoshop's public beta so far.
    there were dev. preview leaks for cs4/5 iirc, but they were obviously not intended by adobe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    By the way, Lynda.com has 2 hours of free CS6 preview if you don't want to download the beta..
    http://www.lynda.com/Photoshop-tutor...w/97406-2.html

12. The Following User Says Thank You to joeparis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^ it's very well worth downloading, two hours of using the actual program would be much more interesting than just watching someone do it
    (but love how they collaborated with lynda.com for that matter)

ps: they added auto-oil painting button right in the "filter" menu, if you know what I mean.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ikken

Hahahaha, Bazinga! Inside Painter joke? You shouldn't have

That filter will help usher in the "Exodus".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    two hours of using the actual program would be much more interesting than just watching someone do it.
    Yes, agreed, as long as you know what you're doing. The Lynda stuff is training material on how to use the new features. Might be useful to someone who has never used CS6 before. Why not do both. ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - Brightness/contrast slider for textures when painting
    Mighty useful, a few of my textures could use some adjusting while I'm painting.

The dark themes is something I've always wanted, not just Photoshop but on all, nice that Adobe finally got to it.

Shame about no color wheel and no improvement of the Mixer brush and bristle brushes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the heads up! It's pretty cool of Adobe to do a pubic beta. I may have to take back some of things I said.... j/k

I wonder if this is going to be a new general policy for Adobe as they've had their new MUSE program in public beta for awhile now.

I did notice that it looks like the "De-blurring" feature they showed off at the Adobe MAX 2011 conference (To a stunned audience) was absent from the new feature list. That was the main thing I was interested in as I have a ton of crap blurry reference photos that I've taken (I take a lot of photos from moving cars, buses, etc. Half turn out good and half turn out crap) that I was hoping to save.

I don't know that the other new features are enough to justify an upgrade at this time, but I suppose that means I should try the beta and find out for myself.

"Contrary to the belief of the layman, the essential of art is not to imitate nature, but under the guise of imitation to stir up excitement with pure plastic elements: measurements, directions, ornaments, lights, values, colors, substances, divided and organized according to the injunctions of natural laws. While so occupied, the artist never ceases to be subservient to nature, but instead of imitating the incidents in a paltry way, he imitates the laws."-Andre Lhote

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Portus View Post
    Mighty useful, a few of my textures could use some adjusting while I'm painting.

The dark themes is something I've always wanted, not just Photoshop but on all, nice that Adobe finally got to it.
    btw for anyone not liking the dark colour scheme, they have a selection of UI color presets, 4 tones from darkest to lightest.

Shame about no color wheel and no improvement of the Mixer brush and bristle brushes.
    it supports 3rd party colour wheels from cs5, which, I think, give painter a run for its money; you can play with this one free of charge while it's in beta, it's flawless.

mixer brush is still kinda weird, agreed, but bristle brushes performance was optimized quite a lot (are they using some GPU dark magicks this time? those are employed to speed-up liquify tool, so I assume paint tools use them too).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's now the best software ever made for painters! A pity, Corel is far far behind it. I was always a big fan of Corel and I was always missing some painter's features in Photoshop for a long time (though I get used to color wheel and color mixer panels from http://anastasiy.com/panels and http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3216786 and the life now is not so painful). But now I definitely belong to Photoshop with its new updates

Btw, did you guys try playing the standard panels like Brushes? They behave more predictively now with Wacom, much comfortable.

Go on Adobe! Things definitely get better

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoo, this beta has some bells and whistles. I'm actually happy to see the color dynamics panel working properly, instead of some busted magic eye brush - that takes out a huge chunk of reason for me to use painter...

Anyone else have any thoughts on the new pencil brushes? I like the idea of a tip that does actually erode like a real pencil and requires "sharpening", plus the on the fly softness you can make the lead. The initial spacing they give them though makes it sluggish, I have to crank it to 6% or 7% to get any real work out of them. The brightness/contrast settings for textures are a godsend.

Brush projection is neat, though it seems a bit odd to me...it only wants to flare out in one direction, instead of respecting the tilt of the pen whichever way I turn it.

Anyone know what the heck brush pose does? I've fiddled with the settings wildly without any difference.

If they just nail down the paint blending qualities to at LEAST get close to Painter, I'd feel like they'd make painter redundant.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it supports 3rd party colour wheels from cs5, which, I think, give painter a run for its money; you can play with this one free of charge while it's in beta, it's flawless.
    Am I the only one who uses PS's own colorwheel (HUD color picker) and I'm ok with that, I've programmed it in one of my wacom buttons. Are these extra plugins so much better that you can choose more colors?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    btw for anyone not liking the dark colour scheme, they have a selection of UI color presets, 4 tones from darkest to lightest.

mixer brush is still kinda weird, agreed, but bristle brushes performance was optimized quite a lot (are they using some GPU dark magicks this time? those are employed to speed-up liquify tool, so I assume paint tools use them too).
    Yeah the bristle brushes are very fast, in CS5 a 90px bristle brush would start to slowdown but in CS6 it's very smooth.

As for the new brushes, Pencils and Airbrushes I found them weird as hell, I don't know the practically of them yet but I'm almost discarding the Pencils, I tried them all and neither made sharp lines. the Airbrushes strokes look more watercolor than spray imo, haven't tried to change their settings yet.

Also it now recognizes in full Intel HD graphics but that doesn't mean much since using the HD2000 graphics of my i3 2100 chip it's very slow, much more so than in CS5.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the brush pose is used to adjust and give finer control to tilt and rotation much like Transfer and Shape for Pen Tablets without tilt. You'll notice Brush Tip Rotation has been removed from Brush Tip Shape.

I haven't had the opportunity to try out the new Document Recovery features as CS6 hasn't crashed once or even given me a Not Responsive since i started using it.

The Mecury Engine is superfast! I have never had UI work this smoothly since...errr, Notepad?

Seems like Painter is borrowing UI from Adobe while Adobe is borrowing whatever is not patented in Painter.

Painter is still a great program all it needs is stability.

Adobe seems to have the whole user involvement down now. I guess most people have even forgotten about the unpopular upgrade policy already.

If this Beta is really a tip of the iceberg (some features are still incoming) they have my money already.

Anybody notice the Tilt Shift filter under Blur?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried it out briefly last night. I was amazed by the speed at both startup and when opening files. A file that would take 5-7 seconds to open in CS4 loaded up instantly in CS6.

@HugeBlack
    I did notice the Tilt Shift filter, but only because I watched this hilarious video covering 6 new features of CS6 beta given by probably the most excited Adobe employee on the planet:

The video editing inclusions in Photoshop are a little strange (though .. almost worth it for Russel Brown's reaction).

Last edited by landylachs; March 23rd, 2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: apparently i can't figure out how to embed a youtube video

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been trying the Airbrush settings and I'm not getting any decent results at all, I don't get why they all funnel in the middle, you have to set Scattering to avoid that.

I've also tried some pencils and with some fiddling you can make thin lines and still be able to tilt to shade but overall I find both engines a bit redundant. A proper blending brush would have been much more desirable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BLENDING??? Really come on guys we need a beer brush engine. I mean they took the leap in cs5 albeit a small one, but think of what they can do with a hardware run brush engine. I want stuff that can mimic real life media so bad. I like painter's brushes but they take a hell of a lot of tweaking to get right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^ I was hoping that adobe would adopt moxi watercolour engine (they licensed it at some point), but looks like they were only interested in bristle physics simulation (or that's what their priorities are so far. maybe in cs7?..)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought everyone loved ArtRage for the realistic media emulation, personally I hate everything about this program but that's just me.

Photoshop blending isn't so bad, the main problem is the Wet setting that doesn't enable you to cover and blend with pressure. Setting the Wetness to 23% or to 99% has the same results, if you want to cover with paint you have to set it to 0%, then to blend you have to set it to any value above 1%. The blending itself is decent, specially now that you can use bristles and textures without any major slowdowns, Painter still has better color mixing (not blending), even Painter 6.1, I don't know what they did to get such great mixing, specially if you compare it to ArtRage which has really bad color mixing.

Last edited by Portus; March 24th, 2012 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    don't really get the artrage hate, it's a nice under $ 100 custom brush pack for painter, nothing less and nothing more.
    I'd love painter to have artrage's color blending system as an option (but not as a permanent replacement for basic rgb mixing model they have), and artrages flat and oil brushes are better than painters artists oils (which ironically originate in the same code)
    their watercolors are underwhelming however.
    > Painter still has better color mixing (not blending), even Painter 6.1
    painter 6.1 is godlike, and their watercolors are currently unbeatable by any commercially released package imo (not counting moxi as it never saw a complete release). shame on corel for flawing them in later versions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Problem with ArtRage is that the presets aren't very good. I always want to make my own brushes from scratch and doing that in ArtRage is not doable. Also the brushes precision and response feels very phony to me, it's like I'm triggering prerecorded animations with stylus gestures.

Anyway best thing about CS6 for me so far is Brush Projection, it's pretty neat, you guys should try making some splatter brushes and use this setting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great tool. like the new interface too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is this free?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ps: they added auto-oil painting button right in the "filter" menu, if you know what I mean.
    Preach.

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.