Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Am I on the right path?

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Am I on the right path?

Hello everybody

My name is Luis and I wish to go to Gnomon and take the three year program. Currently I am continuing my education at the School of Visual arts. So far I have taken 3 Figure drawing classes and one perspective. Before taking these classes I never picked up a pencil to draw. I am doing this because the people at Gnomon expect their students to know some traditional drawing. So I was wondering if taking classes here in NYC will prepare me for those concept art classes that Gnomon is going to make me take such as character, creature, vehicle and environment design.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am planning to take portrait and landscape painting along with figure drawing anatomy and all of that good stuff. Am I going to be prepare?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just finished viscom1 at gnomon, your gonna be fine, gnomon ends up rehashing most of the stuff you learn traditionally. Just turn in your portfolio and see what they say, if they reject it just do the 1 year option there is no portfolio needed for that, then do the 2 year program, the 3 year program is a combination of the 1 and 2 year programs. Though to be real the 3 year aint no cake walk, you will be at gnomon every day of your life, it will be a long haul, especially when you take character sculpture. Just warning you.

Don't wake me for the end of the world unless it has very good special effects

Fresh2draw.co.cc

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kysg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kysg View Post
    Just finished viscom1 at gnomon, your gonna be fine, gnomon ends up rehashing most of the stuff you learn traditionally. Just turn in your portfolio and see what they say, if they reject it just do the 1 year option there is no portfolio needed for that, then do the 2 year program, the 3 year program is a combination of the 1 and 2 year programs. Though to be real the 3 year aint no cake walk, you will be at gnomon every day of your life, it will be a long haul, especially when you take character sculpture. Just warning you.
    Thank you so much! I did not know they don't want a portfolio for the one year. I might just do that! Well, the reason I want to do the three year is because I want to be good at hard surface modeling and since the three year offer more classes..Hey I would like to see your entry portfolio I hope you don't mind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow7 View Post
    Thank you so much! I did not know they don't want a portfolio for the one year. I might just do that! Well, the reason I want to do the three year is because I want to be good at hard surface modeling and since the three year offer more classes..Hey I would like to see your entry portfolio I hope you don't mind.
    1 year program - No portfolio
    2 year program - Portfolio needed
    3 year program - Portfolio needed

I did not submit a portfolio nor enter a year program. I signed for individual classes and paid out of pocket. Gnomon will allow you to do this if you do not want to enter a program or you have specialized needs.

I agree with saprissa -
    Though I would also interject that local jc's like Santa monica college, Pasadena city college, and east la community college will prepare with enough skills to get into art center. Just note though this route is slower. I know a guy who got into art center for illustration and he went Glendale Community college up in Glendale, I'm arguing this because the super, super basic stuff that is in foundational drawing, still life drawing, painting, and life drawing you can do at a Junior College. Your perspective, rendering, and more advanced concepts you will not get unless the school specifically offers it. Which Pasadena City college is the only school that teaches rendering because it has a product design program due to the close relationship with art center.

Don't wake me for the end of the world unless it has very good special effects

Fresh2draw.co.cc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Plenty of Art Schools

There are plenty of those in Cali. You did not specify what you want so I am gonna name most of them. First the concept art schools like Red Engine, Kazone art and Concept Design Academy. These 3 will not give you a diploma if you complete their courses. Then there is also traditional schools like 3kicks, Laafa, and the atelier. Now I am gonna name the big schools in cali like Gnomon, Otis, Laguna, Art Center and Academy of Art University. Im telling you right now if I had the money I would go to Art Center but before going there I would go to Concept Design Academy to prepare myself.

Members who have read this thread: 1