Thanks

Dry eye syndrome preventing me from drawing

Since October I have had dry eye syndrome, I have been put on restasis by an eye doctor, and given artificial tears. I stopped taking the arftical tears it was giving me flu like symptoms. My eye doctor said that is not possible but I swear right after I took them I had a fever.

But my symptoms have improved somewhat I would say 50% since October.

But I canít do the one thing I love the most which is draw.

I can doodle for about half hour I guess so I guess I can draw somewhat. But I canít do studies and if try to do them, my eyes ache and throb for a week straight. It takes a week every time I try to do studies for my eyes to recover.

I was only drawing 3 hours a day for about 2 years. And doodling for 2 years before that.

My eye doctor told me that it will go away my symptoms. he said the restasis he gave me I have only been on for 2 months and can take up to 6 months to start working.

He also said there are punctual plugs for the eyes if all else fails.

Iím manic-depressive with an anxiety disorder, so I have to take two separate medications for my psychiatric condition.

My eye doctor believes these psychiatric drugs are drying out my eyes, he still insists that I have nothing to worry about and will get better.

Any one else have a condition like this?

Are eye problems common with artists?

Particularly with digital art?

Any suggestions?

Iím starting to worry whether my condition will improve like my doctor said. I had just finished studying from the first bridgemen book and would love to get back to drawing and doing actual studies.

Oh and I got my vision tested and I have 20/20 vision so I know its dry eyes.

Thanks to any who help.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matt22113 View Post
    Since October I have had dry eye syndrome, I have been put on restasis by an eye doctor, and given artificial tears. I stopped taking the arftical tears it was giving me flu like symptoms. My eye doctor said that is not possible but I swear right after I took them I had a fever.
    Correlation does not imply causation. Just because you took the eyedrops and got a fever does not mean that the eyedrops gave you a fever.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to erinc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 926 Posts
    are there humidifiers that can alleviate some of the dryness?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,526 Times in 2,458 Posts
    "I have had dry eye syndrome
    Any suggestions? "

watch the end of local hero, gets me every time

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    The medication probably didn't cause the flu symptoms. That was likely just a coincidence. Try the medication again, if you get flu symptoms a second time, then they may be the cause.

Good luck with that, though. As someone who's had a fair share of vision problems, I know how annoying they can be.
    So, it has come to this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    I'm not saying my solution will help you if you have some sort of diagnosed syndrome, but I had this problem and it ended up that the 2 cups of coffee in the morning and 2 cups of coffee in the afternoon, with only a small glass of water for lunch was just dehydrating me.

So I started drinking a ton more water and imagine that...my eyes felt better.

I felt like an idiot.
    But it helped!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have dry eyes. I use SYSTANE Preservative-Free Formula
    Doesn't matter what brand as long as there are no preservatives and one use vials. There are a lot of different eyedrops out there.

I've been told to blink more, don't stare, keep my workspace clean and dust free.
    I find computer fans that are covered in dust a huge problem, along with dusty blinds/curtains, floors and carpet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    I'm not saying my solution will help you if you have some sort of diagnosed syndrome, but I had this problem and it ended up that the 2 cups of coffee in the morning and 2 cups of coffee in the afternoon, with only a small glass of water for lunch was just dehydrating me.

So I started drinking a ton more water and imagine that...my eyes felt better.

I felt like an idiot.
    But it helped!
    It was the same with me, only I didnt drink coffee. Just drinking more water helps loads. Your eyes arent as dry and you have more energy. The body needs lots of water and functions much better if you drink it.