Anybody using the Wacom Bamboo Pen Tablet?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Anybody using the Wacom Bamboo Pen Tablet?

I know you yall probably use much better stuff then this cheap priced tablet, but just in case you do use this model I wanted to ask what you think about it?

I keep getting refereed to get one of these so that I can start learning the craft of creating digital art. It's probably a good idea for me to go cheap when I first start out.

Anyways, if you have one of these what are your opinions about it? Is it inferior?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The wacom Bamboo is the BEST tablet out there for beginners.

Quality is top notch. What makes it cheap is the size and lack of features dragging the prize up. Build quality is excellent and it's sensitive and precise.

I say go get it. You don't need a Intuos or Cintiq at all really. I bet many professionals could do with a Bamboo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree that you may not need a Cintiq, i have one (the huge one) and i never use it. But you really have to consider the Intuos series, even an old and used one. I'm saying this cause even if Bamboo is cheap... it cost money. If you really want to learn digital drawing you don't want to be limited by your tools.

Anyway the big point is: DON'T BUY ANYTHING LESS THAN 8.8" x 5.5" (224 x 140 mm) ACTIVE AREA.

Less than this you are not doing any natural movement to draw and with time you can hurt your wrist (i had one of those S size, it was a pain, i gave it away to a friend for her manga drawings and she never use it as well XD). Check around you, check internet, find a used intuos and go for it, don't worry about usage cause i had mine for 5-6 years now and it never got a scratch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i got an intuos3 on craigslist barely used at all for like 100bux... or was it 150

i dunno either way it was cheap

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you consider that the Bamboo M is 200$ and the Intuos5 M is 350$...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tad View Post
    i got an intuos3 on craigslist barely used at all for like 100bux... or was it 150

i dunno either way it was cheap
    Well I actually live in Ecuador. Moved here about a month ago so I wont be using craigs list for anything unfortunately.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been using a Bamboo Fun for almost 2 years now, and while I can do a lot with it, in hindsight I'd have taken Hitsu//San's advice about getting a larger drawing surface size. this is also a response to your previous thread.

Having spent most of my drawing life using paper, you definitely sacrifice the sweeping motion of the elbow and angle of drawing when you limit drawing with minute twitches of the wrist or fingers. Even with the ability to zoom and flip an image, it's not the same.

While it may take you more time to purchase a larger tablet (and you can find decently priced ones online) spend the time without it brushing up with pencil/pen...or whatever your medium is. Get a sketchpad.

The ability to undo/redo may only improve the quality of a single piece, but you won't have to rely on it so much if you improve your overall core drawing abilities.

In concept art, inspiration could hit you at any time, and you won't always be at a computer to translate your idea. A studio might ask you to do an on-sight ideation exercise for a job, or you may need to whip out a rough napkin-sketch (exactly what it sounds like) for a client at a bar.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, lol.

So I was looking for a wacom tablet I could afford for 100 or under and the only thing I will be able to afford is a bamboo or a intuos 2. The intuos 2's are kinda old though. Do those models work good?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use it and it produces pretty decent stuff. I got it cause the size is small enough to fit in my bag so I can paint where ever I go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Yajmon View Post
    I use it and it produces pretty decent stuff. I got it cause the size is small enough to fit in my bag so I can paint where ever I go.
    Well I mentioned 2 tablets. The bamboo and the intuos 2. I assume you mean the bamboo since it's a smidge smaller but I can't be sure?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was talking with a friend yesterday who bought the bamboo s recently (he's a 3d artist) and he said he give it up to a friend of him cause he prefer to use the mouse instead of that tablet cause was hurting his wrist. It's definitively not meant for long term usage.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsu//San View Post
    I was talking with a friend yesterday who bought the bamboo s recently (he's a 3d artist) and he said he give it up to a friend of him cause he prefer to use the mouse instead of that tablet cause was hurting his wrist. It's definitively not meant for long term usage.
    I think the wrist pains really depends on the user. I for one did full paintings in one sitting with the Bamboo, that would be something like 6-8 hours. No pain at all.

If you have the chance when looking for a tablet. Try out the different sizes and versions. Bigger is not always automatically better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's the best for beginners, reasonably priced and can give stunning results.
    I unfortunately only had mine for 6 months before the cable broke though. The cables look like they're only really secured with heat-shrink tube.

I've heard the Intuos3 is fantastic. I use an Intuos4, but the nib-wear problem can get irritating.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by F4celess View Post
    I think the wrist pains really depends on the user. I for one did full paintings in one sitting with the Bamboo, that would be something like 6-8 hours. No pain at all.

If you have the chance when looking for a tablet. Try out the different sizes and versions. Bigger is not always automatically better.
    Unfortunately I can't really test any out. I live in Ecuador. They have a pretty shabby selection of electronics to look at down here, and It'd be a miracle if they actually sold tablets down here. But I'm not sure so I'll check anyways.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have an Intuos 2 and an Intuos 4. I bought the Intuos 2 brand new many years ago. It still works great and frankly I barely noticed the extra pressure levels with the Intuos 4 when I got one. And despite the lack of buttons on the side of the Intuos2 it doesn't make a difference to me as I use the keyboard shortcuts more than the buttons on the Intuos 4 anyway. The Intuous 2 has a touchstrip across the tablet that responds to the pen, giving you a some shortcuts including a "soft, medium, and firm" pressure which is really nice.

The Intous 2 is a great tablet despite being old, but I would try to find the Large size(9 x 12 I believe). You can find them on eBay but make sure you find one in very good condition. I have used the Bamboo and it is fine, but I would easily pick an Intous 2 in good condition over the Bamboo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My friend once told me: BAMBOO CTH-670 is cheap & fine, probably 200 dols. Not advertise!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by toad1971 View Post
    I have an Intuos 2 and an Intuos 4. I bought the Intuos 2 brand new many years ago. It still works great and frankly I barely noticed the extra pressure levels with the Intuos 4 when I got one. And despite the lack of buttons on the side of the Intuos2 it doesn't make a difference to me as I use the keyboard shortcuts more than the buttons on the Intuos 4 anyway. The Intuous 2 has a touchstrip across the tablet that responds to the pen, giving you a some shortcuts including a "soft, medium, and firm" pressure which is really nice.

The Intous 2 is a great tablet despite being old, but I would try to find the Large size(9 x 12 I believe). You can find them on eBay but make sure you find one in very good condition. I have used the Bamboo and it is fine, but I would easily pick an Intous 2 in good condition over the Bamboo.
    Thanks for the info!

Members who have read this thread: 1