P.O.W.! Challenge 58 (A-B) Murder and Intrigue Final Poll

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for one Artist/Comic (Not yourself)! Poll is on for 3 weeks.

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • ashess

1 6.67%
  • Hawkswift

0 0%
  • HugeHarHar

0 0%
  • klortho

6 40.00%
  • vineris

8 53.33%
    Thanks

P.O.W.! Challenge 58 (A-B) Murder and Intrigue Final Poll

There is some amazing entries this time around you guys. I can't praise the entrants and the close-to-being-finished entrants enough. I wasn't sure where the topics would take ye, but once again, the imagination of the P.O.W.! Community is mind boggling!

5 entrants for the polls!

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

ashess

Name:  MysterP1.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  101.7 KB

Name:  MysterP2.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  117.2 KB

Name:  MysterP3.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  124.1 KB

Name:  MysterP4.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  129.4 KB

Name:  MysterP5.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  114.9 KB

Name:  MysterP6.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  102.9 KB

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks

Hawkswift

Name:  03-18-2012a.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  157.9 KB

Name:  03-18-2012b.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  112.3 KB

Name:  03-18-2012.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  103.3 KB

Thanks

HugeHarhar

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  183.8 KB

Name:  02.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  216.6 KB

Name:  03.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  213.1 KB

Name:  04.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  223.7 KB

Name:  05.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  154.3 KB

Last edited by donalfall; March 20th, 2012 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks

klortho

Name:  seq_45_l.png
Views: 335
Size:  248.3 KB

Name:  seq_46_l.png
Views: 318
Size:  674.6 KB

Name:  seq_47_l.png
Views: 316
Size:  784.4 KB

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks

vineris

Name:  throne_pow1.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  112.9 KB

Name:  throne_pow2.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  135.9 KB

Name:  throne_pow3.jpg
Size:  142.9 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Non-comps

Some amazing non-competitive entries as well - check out these (some are click-through for more images!)

doppelgangergrl

Name:  doppelgangergrl.jpg
Size:  335.4 KB

R3u5

Name:  R3u5.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  246.4 KB

tmyohlaing

Name:  tmyohlaing.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  360.9 KB

Wild Bill Turkey

Name:  Wild Bill Turkey.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  912.6 KB

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ooh! hey, awesome; I just found the poll! so what happens now? do we crit eachother's work? give some feedback? ask friends and family to the party? haha!
    cool though, looking at it all like this.
    bit of a shame about some not being done. I was really looking forward to doppelgangergrl and wild bill turkey's entry in particular.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mostly we just vote. You can certainly give crits if you like, sometimes they fly around. Definitely invite your friends and family to the party!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the great comments and thanks for reposting my page in this thread. I picked a very good round to jump in on, the quality of the other entries made this a lot of fun.

What was supposed to be three days off in a row turned into one, and on that morning I woke up to a dead computer. I am still living in this condition, and I'm making this post on my phone, grasping at the few bars of signal that flicker on its tiny screen.

Fortunately my pencils haven't crashed, so on the assumption that I'll get the beast running again in the next three weeks, I'm going to start doing notes and thumbnails for Starwatcher. See y'all there.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wild Bill Turkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    If people want crits I'm happy to crit! I misread the deadline so this was a last minute rush job for me and I missed the mid-week WIP crits.

ashess - I like your action shots, death poses and varied angles. Good job there! Biggest problems: composition and polish. Use comic fonts, business fonts belong in business documents. (Blambot is one indie comic font maker with free fonts available). Don't put word balloons over figures if you can help it. Don't cut off the tops of heads, hands or any other vital body part if you can help it. Sometimes you have to edit dialogue and narration pretty heavily to be able to fit everything in. It's amazing how few words you can use and still have the message come across -- after all there's pictures too!
    Hawkswift - Good composition. The story's a bit unclear without words. The style is a bit on the rough side, either this is a WIP or it needs some polishing. Otherwise, good use of blacks.
    Hugeharhar - I like the experimental free-flow format. It's hard to tell what's going on, though. Needs some cleaning up. I'd also darken the gray, the lack of contrast makes it even more confusing. I think you really have something going here, if you can run with it and make it clearer it would be interesting reading.
    klortho - Great work. There's a bit of stiffness and awkward bits in clothing and anatomy. If you can work those out it would really take your work to the next level.

doppelgangergrl - cute cartoon style. Work on your anatomy. Ditch the Comic Sans.
    r3u5 - well the style is sexy. Can't say much about the story and composition from one page.
    tmyohlaing - good, clear storytelling. Put space between your panels, it's there for a reason. If you have any vertical lines in your panels and the panels all run up against one another people get confused about where the panel boundary is.
    Wild Bill Turkey - lovely work. Too bad you had computer issues, I'd have liked to see this finished!

Hope that helps!

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks for critting vinaris! I will keep those points in mind next time I enter.
    I am a little disappointed though; only 8 people voted! seems sad for us all to work so hard and only so few people actually look at it.

critZ
    Hawkshift- first panel is not quite clear, but I can follow the story well enough. the anatomie is a little stiff sometimes, and not in the right perspective.
    I like the style though.

Hugeharhar- im sorry, I like the idea. but as for execution, I cannot relly think of it as anything but lazy right now. it's messy, unfinished, and unclear.

klortho- I really like the story and the telling. the artwork is awesome too- although sometimes the outlines are a bit thick for such detailed work.
    the text can be a little confusing sometimes. like the straggler who apparently show up, but never show up in the story again. the policeman is, I think, telling the story. but this is also not clear.
    it's like you took some really cool ideas and tried to mush them together. like the opening shot and telling, and the one in the end. still your is my favourite.

vineris- nice story, and the style is very fitting. the crosshating stuff works great. I do think the mother in the last show looks a little weird. and your font would be way too big for an actual printed piece.

the rest I already critted as far as they got.
    except for tmyohlaing:
    I really like the dramatic shots and telling.still, I'm not quite sure where the man looking at this scene fit in. is he inside the house, looking at this happening? it seems too far away from the house, looking at the opening shot, and the placing of the family in the forest.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I agree, Ashess, but we actually get tons and tons of views here in POW!, then relatively few votes. I don't know why... do the majority of viewers feel that seeing as they weren't involved in the topic/discussion they shouldn't vote? Or is it something else....? (If you're reading this and wondering if you should vote, please do )

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    I think it's difficult to decide which is best sometimes, there are some good stories but confusing artwork and vice versa and some stuff can look unfinished but the story is solid so it makes up for it, I guess if you're visiting the thread and haven't been involved from the start it can be a little hard do decide who deserves the vote. Maybe if there were voting tips at the top to advise people know what to look for?

I'm having some commission free spare time at the moment (whoop) I shall join in the next one as much as I can.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks for your answer Angel!
    well, I would think it would be a great idea for voting 'tips' if it would help people vote.. or better yet comment. haha. I have no idea what the tips would be though.
    something like:
    look for: 1-a clear story 2-good, clear art 3-readable text 4- a good laugh..

uh. or in another order..

>>mah tumbr

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Points taken, I'll write up a paragraph to be cut and pasted into every poll from now on. I'll use what you guys are saying as my template, thanks ashess & Angel... I might put it up in one of the stickies for feedback or PM you guys or something. If you have any ideas for it, PM me!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've always thought they need ad banners for the community activities, advertizing the fact that they exist. Theres a lot of cool art on display, it should be an easy sell.

thumbs up for the idea of voting instructions, many of the -ows have multiple choice polls which is totally unmentioned before you vote, so theres a lot of room for improvement all around in this regard imo.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to SnailsPace For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1