P.O.W.! Challenge 59 (A-B-C) Stars and Meteors - deadline update! 22nd April!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

In all P.O.W.! Challenges, you can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color, unless we specifically point out otherwise.

Topic 59A: Starwatcher

As an homage to the legendary Moebius, who passed away recently, Challenge A is "Starwatcher". You can, as usual, interpret this topic any way you like, whether you want to free-form off the topic name or take Moebius' original piece as a springboard for your storyline - wherever the topic brings you.

Topic 59B: The Meteor Descends

The Meteor is coming! The end is nigh! (Or is it?) Whether Fantasy or Sci-Fi, whether a sign of impending apocalypse or just a problem that must be solved by a high-tech sci-fi protagonist, a meteor is the centre of this story - will it destroy everyone? Raise the dead as zombies? Be deflected from its course by the Great Wizard? Tell the story!

Topic 59C: Starwatching

Re-interpret Moebius' Starwatcher piece with your own characters and scenery, characters from other stories, comic book characters you feel fit the mood of that piece, whatever suits your mood!

One or All-Deadline: Sunday, April 22nd, 2012, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

You can present your solution as a minimum of THREE to any practical maximum you wish which adhere to standard comic specs as below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want--just don't get TOO extreme on page counts. REMEMBER: You don't have to have a complete comic to qualify for polling--if you realize you're running out of time, try to get at least THREE pages finished by the deadline. That's all you need to qualify for polling..

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

.................................................. .............................

Good luck.

A little note here for all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges...thankyewthankyewthankyew...

Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.

Last edited by donalfall; April 12th, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
    P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oooh, this is a nice one! I have no idea what to do with it, yet, but I think I might tackle Starwatcher. Actually, maybe I do have an idea... At least visually. Maybe I'll make it this time

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was flip-flopping for a bit, but I put in Starwatcher for a reason & I'm going to go that route as well.

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's nice to pay a tribute to Moebius like this, even if people don't actually reference his work with the Starwatcher theme

Got a basic plot and reeeeery rough page script now and I know which way I want to go stylistically. Let's see if I can pull it off on time.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How fun! I didn't realize there was a comic challenge here on CA. I plan on making a mini comic for this theme. What great inspiration too.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Amerasu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool topic. I have sketches.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NicoleWG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome sketches. Nice to see new interest as well! Welcome, Amerasu. My day-job workload goes back to normal this week (tomorrow actually), then I'm going to dive in!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NicoleWG, great so far! I had a laugh reading it. Cute story

Here's one page of mine, rough. I have the script done and hope to finish the other 2 pages and final line art over the weekend. I'm going with theme A, stargazer.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amerasu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I finished. Here's my final version.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Amerasu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really trying to get something finished for this one. I've never worked on a comic before but it's something I've always had a great interest in doing.
    This is my idea in it's most basic form.

Theme: Starwatcher
    Plot: Life support system failing as protagonist floats through space in a solar powered shuttle trying to get within charging range of a star. Protagonist turns off life support system in exchange for thrusters to make one final attempt at getting within range. (WILL HE MAKE IT!? TUNE IN (sometime next week) TO FIND OUT!)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to B-Lister For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, I love your post Amerasu. I had quite a laugh earlier today when I read it.
    What programs do you use to get everything looking so clean? The whole comic has a nice look to it.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B-Lister For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Lister View Post
    What programs do you use to get everything looking so clean? The whole comic has a nice look to it.
    I use Photoshop. One layer for initial sketch, one for line art, one for textures and then one more set to multiply for shadow/shading. I just clean up as I go I guess

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amerasu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, Amerasu your comic is pretty damn good! I've got an idea for this contest too but I'm not sure if it is quite as amusing as yours

My comics website - Blurred Lines

My Sketchbook

My email

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to third-bear For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy!

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnailsPace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SLAM!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by donalfall View Post
    SLAM!
    Du-duhduhduh, let the boys be boys!!

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SnailsPace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw dammit, now I'm so behind... AGAIN... But I've got four days off during Easter, maybe I can whip something up.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small update, I've got my story scripted, the main characters' designs are done and I have the first page loosely sketched. I'll do the loose sketches for the next pages before going to bed. Thankfully I managed to cut the story down to four pages and the fourth will hardly be any work at all. Don't think I'll manage to do it all in colour in time, but I might colour it later on.

Thanks for this great topic and P.O.W.! in general! I'm having a massive art block but it all seems to be loosening up and flowing again now that I'm working on this project

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kjesta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay! I'm happy when POW! is useful. I've mine more than half done as well. Should have the pages all finished up before next Sunday. I'll try and post some during the week coming.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm working hard on it, page 1 and 2 are pencilled and 1 is almost done inking, but I find so little time to share stuff here with you. I'm quite content so far though!

Here's the pencils for page 1, just so I have something to show off before it's all finished.

EDIT: Yeah, it's a good idea to actually attach the picture. Whoops.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kjesta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks great, Kjesta.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Amerasu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great character designs, Kjesta! Looking forward to seeing more of it.

So you guys, for mostly book-keeping but not-entirely-unselfish reasons, I need the end of each P.O.W.! to line up with the end of the month. I was toying with having a super-short one next to get to the end of April, but I've been sent great topics from users and am pilfering more great ones from the suggestion thread sticky and I don't think any of them deserve less than our full attention. So, I'm going to extend this one by a week and make the next one 5 weeks instead. That'll make P.O.W.! 60 line up with the end of May and from then on P.O.W.! will always end on the last Sunday of the month.

It's not really important either way, but it'll fit in with my workaday life a lot better. And hopefully that means a better P.O.W.! for everyone! As always, great work so far on this one and keep those panels and suggestions coming!

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YAY! I just got my computer back in working order today, and signed on here just to see all the fun I had missed. Really happy to see the deadline has been extended, so I now have enough time to do this challenge!

I wanted to. Jean Giraud ( Moebius )was one of my heroes, and I stood in line all day to meet him at a book-signing once. He asked to see my sketchbook, and after looking through it for a really long time, he honored me by doing a full-page drawing in it

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wild Bill Turkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,
    I know this will not make it to the poll, because it's only one page. I will not be able to finish more, even with the extended deadline. But I want to show it, anyway.

46. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Crowsrock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Weeeh, an extended deadline! This makes me happy because I was getting worried I might not make it until Sunday, although Monday for sure. I'm also fine with having a long P.O.W.! next, I've felt for this and the other one I participated in that I'd really like more time to work on a given subject, gather references, maybe even do some colour work or a cover. As it is I feel I'm not learning as much as I could because I'm a slow drawer and I have to draw everything from imagination and so draw on the same headspace all the time instead of having the time to research and learn. I'll actually go back and redraw bits of my 2nd and 3rd page now to improve on a couple of things.

Thanks for the critique too! I'll post something more soon.

Crowsrock, that looks really promising. I'd like to see some more defined, simplified values rather than having everything look so smudge-y but I understand that the time constraints are difficult sometimes Thanks for sharing it!

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kjesta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This helps me a lot, getting my IDW, and POW done by the 15th was getting a bit stressful at times! sweet relief!

50. The Following User Says Thank You to SnailsPace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all!

So this is my first time participating in POW! and things like these always get me motivated to create something! I recently came back to Conceptart.org after about a year and I discovered this topic on Thursday and saw that the due date was today so I just freaked and worked on this over the course of 2 days. Even with the updated due date I don't know if I'll have time to go back and rework any of the art work. So for now this will be my final!

My Other Sketch Blog
    http://bryanzoleta.blogspot.com/

My Webcomic!!! Updates Wednesdays and Sundays
    http://coffeebotcomics.com/

52. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bzoleta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bzoleta- really, really nice, beautiful story!

54. The Following User Says Thank You to SnailsPace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SnailsPace- Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it!!! When I saw the topic I had only recently heard of Moebius and that was because he had just passed away, and news of it was everywhere. But previously I had actually never heard of him, reason being I just usually don't know my history/artists too well
    So I suppose the story is a reflection of how great artists can go unnoticed sometimes

It's always been somewhat tough for me to show my stuff because I'm never content with how things turn out. I'm slowly knocking that roadblock down however

My Other Sketch Blog
    http://bryanzoleta.blogspot.com/

My Webcomic!!! Updates Wednesdays and Sundays
    http://coffeebotcomics.com/

56. The Following User Says Thank You to Bzoleta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    don't have time to comment atm,, but there are some amazing entries

I managed to squeeze in a version of Starwatcher for 59C..this is the pencil sketch don't have time to do anything else before the deadline unfortunately...

Last edited by Angel Intheuk; April 22nd, 2012 at 12:57 PM.

58. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1