Art: What I Made of a Great Tutorial.

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb What I Made of a Great Tutorial.

I was running through some great illustrator tutorials and came across one that helped me start my band logo. this is what i have so far. if anyone has some feedback, let me know, thats why im here. keep in mind, its still unfinished so things like uneven stroke weights are still in the process of being finished.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im really keen to get some criticisms guys! and/or ideas?

"War doesn't determine who is , but who is ."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well well, we need to know what band is it before we could actually critique. and what sort of design direction u intend to have for your band, each kind of music genre would have something more recognizable so that it dont mislead people thinkin the other way round right?

Generous support needed from the creative community to read, to follow, to critic, to contribute on the content. find out more at www.qswitchdesign.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree. What kind of music do you play?

Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really have no experience with graphic design, but I can give you some first impressions coming from a layman!

I think it's really hard to actually read the text, even with it's current size there's a lot of stuff going on and the text itself isn't very clear. It also seems like it might be less recognizable with that much text combined with such a complex design (for a logo). If you saw it from far away, you wouldn't instantly think "oh yeah, I know that band!".

Like others have said, it depends what kind of music you play too, but I think the most recognizable logos are always the simplest ones. Something like would be extremely hard to duplicate, I think that's one way of measuring how easy it is for someone else to recognize and remember it. Personally I'd prefer either more simple text or if you want a lot of non-text elements, abbreviate it (but make it more recognizable either way) or only use a single word from the band name.

Again I have no clue about graphic design so I could very well be way off and then hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about can help you out instead!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is less a logo and more like illustrated type of your band's name. Logos typically don't have that much detail because they're meant to be iconic. Most logos are also pretty simple because they have to be used for a variety of purposes- not only billboards and posters, but on letterheads, business cards- at small sizes in general.

Your letter spacing is weird. Even at this size it's kinda hard to tell where one letter starts and the other begins. Character weight and size is inconsistent in a way that doesn't look intentional. I feel like you're not paying attention to the composition of the letters or the overall flow of them. It's not enough to write the word and render each individual letter- you have to make sure they work well together as an overall composition. There's not that much margin for error. I'm also not sure about that color palette or what kind of mood you're going for with this.

I would recommend getting yourself some reference material. Look at what these typographers are doing and try considering your own a bit more.

http://pinterest.com/airkiss/typography/
    http://welovetypography.com/

Nice effort!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.