Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

IDW # 200 - Repurposed War Walker - SPECIAL ROUND!!!

Topic: Repurposed War Walker
    Deadline: Sunday, April 22

Our topic comes courtesy of the suggestion from Grubleputty:

"The Great War has been over for several years now, but many of the fearsome war machines remain- some intact, some as half-destroyed wrecks. The shell-shocked survivors have begun to refit the machines for peaceful purposes, showing the sort of ingenuity that desperation can inspire."

Give us a very rough idea of what these War Walkers looked like when they were untouched, then show us in detail how they have been rebuilt or retrofitted for their new peacetime duties.

For inspiration I highly suggest you take a look at the fantastic entries from IDW # 100.

Because this is a benchmark round, there will be a few differences between this round and a regular round:

First, this needs to be a fully rendered and polished design. To show your comprehensive design of the whole, orthogonal views of your walker are required. Unfinished or poor quality work will not make it to poll.

Second, the winning entry will be placed in the position of honor on the IDW banner! This means that you will need to submit at least one image where your War Walker is on a plain, or no background. You have a month to create these image.

Prizes: I have yet to get confirmation on prizes, but I hope that when they do arrive, they will be similar to those of IDW # 100.

Quote Originally Posted by yoitisi
    1st Place:
    - A ticket for the next Massive Black Workshop (or for any workshop really, to be used only once though).
    - Downloads of all Massive Black and CA Tutorial and Instructional DVD’s

2nd Place:
    - Downloads of up to 6 Massive Black and CA Tutorial and Instructional DVD’s.

3rd Place:
    - Downloads of up to 2 Massive Black and CA Tutorial and Instructional DVD’s.
    Brief:
    1. Design and draw a re-purposed War Walker.
    2. Include orthogonal drawings (front, side and back views minimum) in your entry.
    3. Since the winning entry will be on the new IDW banner, you have to be able to provide your robot with a plain (or no) background! Including a background in your final entry is okay as long as you have a second version without it for me to put on the banner.
    4. That's it... now draw!

Name:  IDW New Round Logo.JPG
Views: 2092
Size:  7.9 KB
    Last edited by Pixie Trick; April 14th, 2012 at 10:37 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pixie Trick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,806 Times in 720 Posts
    I'm not entirely sure if these would really go with the topic all that well, but I thought it was a good oppurtunity to do some robot silhos....hopefully I'll be able to contribute this time around, with a month from now it is more likely that i'll be able to work on something, unless I totally forget...which I'll try not to...

Attachment 1444588
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Cool idea! I got a flash of inspiration when I read this, so with a month to work on it, I'm going to try and make a good showing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    This sounds great. Plenty of time to create a portfolio-worthy piece if people are up to the challenge. I hope I am!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 724 Posts
    First off- great topic.

Just for clarification; I am wondering what our finals should look like.

As stated above, we need to show two versions of the war walker; the original as well as the retrofitted state. We are also required to provide orthogonal views (front, side, back).

So if I understand it correctly the final entry consists of two rendered war walker versions, plus a total of six orthogonals (3 for each version)?

Take a look at my Website!

Thanks
    You only need orthos of the final. The original is just to give us an idea of the changes that have occurred due to war and remodeling.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixie Trick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Pixie Trick - just to clarify for myself and possibly others, basically i could make a mech into
    a house or jungle gym for children is that what you mean by re-purposed????
    or more practical applications like using a mech as a crane? am on the right track with my
    train of thought here is this what the topic requires?

Thanks
    Make the sucker into whatever you like- as long as its use is peaceful and we can still recognize or you can show up in some other way how it got transformed. Remember, you're showing us the full potential of positive human creativity after a huge social breakdown such as war. Make it into a jungle gym, or a traveling lending library if you want. If you have a grand idea, follow your gut. If you do want to be technical however, remember that its wasteful to remove functions that could potentially useful, and there are certain tasks that a bot like this might have a better potential to do, rather than spending the time, effort and limited resources to overhaul something that could be used elsewhere or could be done in another easier way.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixie Trick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    some ideas, I'll try and follow through with them this time.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fireblade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Does it have to have legs? I was hoping to do tank tracks.

Thanks
    Wow- I am so frickin' excited right now! Thanks for picking my suggestion- now I have to get painting!
    Your only competition is your last painting

My DeviantArt gallery

Thanks
    @AdrianNagorski
    We are on similar paths with this. Im doing a "post nuclear tsunami playground" made out of a giant mech buried up to its neck. I'm going to show other versions of the same mech in the background that are retrofitted etc.

You kinda freaked me out when i saw your post, get outta my head dood!!1 lol

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SnailsPace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Pavel: No treads please. I'd like to keep "walking" in place as a bit of a standard.

Thanks
    it is harder than i thought to avoid the large 4/6 legged general shape!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,549 Times in 548 Posts
    So, here's a quick little sketch. I don't know exactly how far I'll end up going with this one. I figure, filming off-world would be tough if one has to transport around a lot of equipment, so they converted this stealth-walker into giant media center, to record, light, shoot, edit and broadcast with only a 2-man crew, making off world film operations much more manageable in terms of resources. Here's one about to shoot a nature documentary or something...
    Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Twitch Channel

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    First wips of the ortho views and the illustration. I´m planning to do a destroyed war walker that the kids are using as their playground

Thanks
    OOO, I'm in on this one. I have started so many of these before, and I don't think I've finished one. Shameful I know. Hopefully since this one's got a month, I'll find the time and motivation.

I'm going to do a walker converted into one of the most important things needed after an infrastructure breakdown. FOOD! The AI will be changed to make a docile farming bot.

Thanks
    Wuddup with everyone being inspired to do playgrounds? I had already decided to change up my idea before I saw kloakatriposa's post, but I'm really glad I did now.

So My iidea now is the... ahem.. International Defense Walker, or IDW for short. Which will be displayed in the final rendering as insignia lettering on the side of the mech. Don't all rush to bite that idea now! lol

Anyway, this thing was built by the UN during the big war, and acted as a mobile battle platform, being able to be deployed anywhere in the world, via some sort of flight system, it could position itself high in the mountains, or on any harsh terrain. It would be capable of carrying thousands of vehicles and people. Now it acts in a similar way, only for peaceful humanitarian aid type purposes, rebuilding the war torn world, etc.

Thanks
    Finally getting a design to come together- I'm developing a small walker designed for urban conflicts. I'm trying to leave myself open to developing a peaceful purpose once I get the initial design settled, but the thought in my head right now is that a family farm has adopted it as a mobile platform for apple picking in an orchard.

As always, I'm in complete awe of all the great concepts you guys are developing!

Attachment 1449735
    Your only competition is your last painting

My DeviantArt gallery

Thanks
    Okay, So I've tried to hit the ground running this time. I've got some sketch pages as I try to work through the idea. I was inspired by the Swedish painter John Bauer and all his giant trolls. (not so much the content or style, but his themes) Because of this, I want to show my walker interacting with a little girl somehow.

These pages are not really on their way to finals, but they show my thought process, and I thought they might inspire someone else's jumping off point. (thanks again to fireblade, awesome stuff)

I kind of like the direction the mech is taking, sort of a giant humanoid robot, but what I think the design needs now is more cool detail work. That's what I'm starting to work through. Crits or comments to this effect (or any other effect) are more than welcome.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to themonet For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Icon

looks like i might be moving this month so time might end up conspiring against me.

going for a giant war machine wondering the landscape years after the war was won/lost. survivors have taken advantage of its periodic stops to strap together a community on any space they can find. Nobody has the tools or knowledge to do really do anything other than hang on and survive... etc!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Legato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'll go with the Water Walker. First in use as a flamethrower-mecha, now turned in to a watering machine for the few plants that are over after the (nuclear) war.

But I'm a mech-noob and can't figure out which legs I'll use.
    All help is appreciated!

@ Si_Swe, nice concept!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Absorber For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great start guys! Awesome work and great to see some of the different directions people are taking with this.

Thanks
    Here's an update. I started composing and blocking in the final painting. I've got a background roughed in with picture elements chopped together. (I've always been pretty bad at environments so I need all the help I can get) Trying to work through the proportions and basic shading on the robot first.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to themonet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I definitely like what Legato and Si Swe have so far!
    The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.
    Nintendo Network ID: FightingSeraph

37. The Following User Says Thank You to FightingSeraph For This Useful Post:

Thanks

not sure how far will I carry this, but I love the topic so I give it a shot!
    Kibby K'Mon!!

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toshi666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So heres where i'm at. I built a quick sketchup model from my thumbnails and I'm using it for refs. I asked Pixie trick about this before i started, to make sure i obeyed the rules and all, Thanks for the help btw. So basically what i'm doing is using the linework from the model to make masks, i also made some other masks from the shadow layer, etc. This works pretty well, though over use of the masks look pretty bad, so i'm doing a lot by hand then using the masks to tighten up lines that need it. I left the model very basic, and i'm trying to do a lot of shape modification in PS, i figure this cuts down on the cheesy factor some, and i don't spend forever modeling.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to SnailsPace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    update!
    The flamethrower-walker that became a water-walker in his environment. I definitely have to work on the sprayer design. And I have to make it more war-ish so it's more clear that it is refurbished

Toshi, I like the second image the most, the solid and rugged armor. I think that one has the most personality

I'm off for a week, to the snow. But i'll definitely be back!
    Good luck everyone

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Absorber For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Absorber- Thanks! that is the one I'm planning to finish up!
    Kibby K'Mon!!

Thanks
    Still noodling away...

46. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnailsPace For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast