Gamepad with Cintiq?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gamepad with Cintiq?

I have a Cintiq 24HD and want to add a small keyboard to the side. Has anyone tried using a gamepad iinstead of a small keyboard and if so what is your experience? Here's a couple I am looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G13-P...2007271&sr=8-1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...zer%20Nostromo

I know that in Photoshop certain keyboard shortcuts such as zooming in/out are hard wired to either a Control + key, or an F key. Does anyone know if these gamepads can be programmed so that a single button can do a multi-button combination such as "Control + key"?

I can read reviews of these on Amazon or New Egg but I am looking for feedback when using one of these with a Cintiq or Intuos. Is anybody out there using a gamepad in their workflow. If so what do you recommend?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok wow, so nobody uses a game pad apparently. Not even one reply. Strange. Well I thought it sounded like a good idea to try because my Cintiq HD24 is so huge it's hard to get a full size keyboard next to it without stretching my arm way out and it's uncomfortable. So I went ahead and said "screw it" and bought a Logitech G13 game keypad and I'm trying it out. So I'll post my thoughts on how well it works after a few days in case anyone else is interested.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've heard of others using one. I've always been interested and while I haven't used one, I have gone out of my way to get as small a keyboard as possible so I will be interested in your views.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see that you bought a G13, but I'll just leave this up here for future reference.

I use the original Belkin Nostromo with my intuos3. Works like charm! You can program macros with multiple key presses, including delays. I have several buttons mapped to things like undo/redo, merging layers, inverting selections, etc... The software is a bit outdated, but it still works. Not a big fan of the newer Razer model, but that's more to do with gaming and how the D-pad on it functions. It's shiny though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I've been using the Logitech G13 for a few days now and so far I like it.

For me the best thing about it is the ability to select a single key and program complicated shortcuts to it. For example I can program "Cntrl +" for zoom in to a single key and "Cntrl -" also to a single key to zoom out. This makes zooming in and out so much faster. There are other ways to zoom obviously but I prefer this method. This way of programming is also helpful for shortcuts like the Color Strip/Wheel in PSCS5 which is something ridiculous normally like "Shift/Alt/Right click" - now I have this programmed to a single key on the Logitech.

Also the little joystick is actually for "keys" - up, down, left and right. This was obviously programmed for shooting games where people normally use for keys on the keyboard to walk forward, back, left and right. It's great because you can program four tools or shortcuts to this single joystick - I have the brush, eraser, spacebar (grabber) and rotate page tool currently programmed to it. So my thumb gets a lot of mileage!

So with limited testing I'm thinking I will keep this thing as it takes up much less desk space than even a small keyboard but provides plenty of keys (around 28 including the fact that the joystick actually equals 4 keys)and options for programing. It's fairly comfortable - I have big hands by the way - but nothing mind blowing.

Also you save up to 3 completely keysets for different programs.

It also does macros (but I'm not sure what macros are! are they just multiple key presses like I'm already doing? when you program a key it offers you a choice of keyboard shortcut or a macro)

And someone above mentioned "delays" - I'm not so sure what delays are.

The Logitech is also small enough to rest on your leg so I'm experimenting with gettting it off my desk.

I'll post more as I learn more. The only thing I didn't like was the $70 price tag, but it will get used everyday.

Before buying this I was trying to adjust to using the buttons on the Cintiq but there's just not enough of them - I kept moving back to my keyboard.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to toad1971 For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1