Thanks

Probably the first real Drawing RPG

Hi guys,I am happy to announce you that I am creating an interactive application of a Drawing RPG The development is still in a very early phase,but I am doing good progress with it each day,you can see a preview in the link below:
    http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/11581

So,I need to know what do you think to help me make some difficult choiches about leveling system & stuff,but before that let me explain my concept & how this whole Application work.

So,first of all,this is at 70% an application & at 30% an RPG. I read somewhere around that the Pro say that "the difference between a pro & a begginer are only 10.000 hours of draw",so based on that I first start creating a timer that can go up to 10.000 hours (only 1 hour slot start visible,the other 4 slots of it are hidden & displayed only when required )
    But that is not enough to make this an RPG so here the other element I have to create in the next days:

there is a "Quest Menu" where the player(you) can tell to the application how much he have draw that day & what kind of draw he have done,then he receive experience based on that. There are 4 kind of draw type that the player could do(& this are also 4 of the stats updated in real time on the pentagonal graph on the home menů,they are
    .CPT= Concept Art
    .ENV= Environment
    .CHR= Character
    .SKT= Sketch (everything that is quick & not refiden)
    TIME= The time you have spent drawing,because the idea is that you run this app on your computer,the timer run & you in the same time draw with paper & pencil
    So as I say,that stats update in real time the pentagon graph in fron page & I think that this is very cool,because 2 person have different graphs based on what they do,also today I managed to make this graph change it "internal scale size" based on player level,so for example when you are at level 1 it require for example 10 character draw to max the "CHR" stat on the graph,but when you go to level 2 the scale of it is reduced by 50% or more so the new cap would be 35 CHR to max that spike & so on
    Also,all those stats are used to unlock achievment in the "Skills" menu & they update the Statistic pannel,so this app is something like the diary/rpg/drawing history of the artist that use it & a person could see his skills growing each day & be more motivated to keep pushing on
    Btw,the graph you see is only as placeholder,I started to sketch some menu decoration as you can see,in the end the menu have to be made by wood & the decoration by gold.
    Also,there was other thing planned but only as secondary goals (because the primary goal is to have those thing running) like a sprite that rappresent your pg in game & it change at each level up as if it evolve, & a Database with something like 1000-2000 words so it can pick 3 random to create the "Daily foolish quest" like "Draw TOAD with HAT & SWORD" to fun & to gain more exp

So,I hope you like what I am creating & that you help me in some difficult choices
    the first one is:
    The player level up based on what kind of draw he does,so,we need to figure out good exp values for the different kind of draw "Environment/Concept/Charachter/Sketch"
    I don't have done much of this,so I need your help to determine how they are related to each other in terms of difficulty/exp
    Or would be better a level up base of number of draws,like level up each 20CHR or 10ENV or 40SKT or 30CPT?
    Or based on the our spent drawing,like level up each 25 hours?
    Last edited by Marcus Aseth; March 16th, 2012 at 01:32 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marcus Aseth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This sounds like a great idea for an app, and something I would be interested in.
    IMO the exp should be dealt out depending on what level the drawing is finished, EG: quick sketch = 50exp, partially rendered image = 150exp and a fully rendered and coloured image would earn you 300exp (the exp values aren't important ofc). If it were me I would have each level geared towards a different type of drawing, so level one would be CPT, level two might be ENV, but it'd be randomly chosen so that you could get practice on all walks of art life. so you might have 80 levels with 20 of each ENV, CHR, SKT, CPT randomly generated as you level up. There might be achievements like do 3 fully rendered ENVs this level, and those achievements give you trophies you can compare with other people. I don't know, this is really just a quick splerge of ideas off the top of my head.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Hmmmm....really excellent idea imo. I think you've put a lot of thought into this and I hope you can see it become a reality. Here are a few thoughts...

I like barefoot's idea of different levels of rendering having different experience points. Don't like the idea though of different kinds of drawings being different levels.

Maybe people could specialize in a "class", or even multi-classed characters - like you do in an RPG: concept artist, environment artist, character, creature, industrial design/vehicle, etc.? Then again, maybe that is all under the class of "Conceptor", and those are the various kinds of things one might encounter in their adventure and leave it at that.

Or perhaps if you do specialize in a "class" like "Environmentor" your challenges would be things like: sci-fi interior, sci-fi citadel, fantasy castle, cave system, ruined temple, urban alley, futuristic office, abandoned factory, etc.

One important thing I would add would be a "Foundation" level (.FND?). Maybe this would be like a training level where you had to gain experience with fundamentals like perspective, value, form, gesture, anatomy, etc. before beginning your quest.

Anyway, I think you're on to something that would be a lot of fun and has a lot of potential. For more ideas I would look at Jim Gurney's book, "Imaginitive Realism" as it does a great job breaking down the process and steps that go into doing imaginitive work - might spark some ideas.

Another book I would recommend, and you may be familiar with since it has a similar theme. is "Fantasy Genesis" by Chuck Lukacs.

Of course the real drawback is going to be there is no way to determine whether someone did well enough on a challenge or quest to actually earn the exp. But it still provides a fun structure to keep people motivated. One way I could see it working well is for a teacher or mentor to use such a system for either an individual or even a small class of students.

Anyway, best of luck with it - keep us posted for sure!
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I was thinking that one way of having player's "quests" (the art done during the levels) be judged to see if they a)actually did the assignment given to them b)if they had successful anatomy, perspective, composition, ect and c)style, ect is to have the art put up in an anonymous judging ring. Once you finished your piece it's put online with like three or four other pieces done for the same mission and whenever you sign into the app you are given an option to vote on some art. You could even put in a crit box or something.

Thanks
    Guys first of all,thanks for sharing your suggestions,this help me a lot for the final decision & also is important for me to know that someone belive & like this idea,this push me more to make it true

@Barefoot: I like the idea to have exp based on effort you have put into the work,probably this would be the system I'll use
    But as Jeff say"
    Don't like the idea though of different kinds of drawings being different levels
    " bacause if one guy is totally into Environment & is a god on it,it not possible that he is stucked at "Level 1 " because he only do Environments

@JeffX99:
    Or perhaps if you do specialize in a "class" like "Environmentor" your challenges would be things like: sci-fi interior, sci-fi citadel, fantasy castle, cave system, ruined temple, urban alley, futuristic office, abandoned factory, etc.
    I would have the application offering different kind of quest,but for this first version I think I go only with exp received trough what you tell the app you have draw,this in order to have it working soon as possible,then can add a quest system in a second release (& also the random quest generator)

@HugeHarHar:the idea/system of course is clever,but I am not even a programmer & I don't have idea how to create/make all this thing working,so I want to keep the app simplest as possible with goals that I can achieve & when it is realized,I can try to convince a programmer to work with me to create something better like one you described
    The thing you describe make sense if the game is online based & competitive so people can't cheat about theyre stats/lvl,but this first release should be simplest as possible & offline,so...if someone want to cheat,it can cheat with himself,but this would be dumb xD

Ok so,before go more into the programming side of the exp & in general before put effort on programming the app,I want tackle the problem about how it should be from different perspectives,to be sure to have the complete picture & to don't make mistakes,so for that reason let's talk about the Acvhievment system.
    I create now the rough layout you can see (image below) with a 3d app,let me explain my idea:

1)You start from the center,each Circle is an achievment & each Red Circle is a major achievment,something like an "Exam".
    2)Each one of the "branch" that start from the pentagon rappresent a different "field" of achievment,so we have:
    ENV (Environment branch)
    CPT (Concept branch)
    CHR (Character branch)
    ??? (??? branch)
    RES(is like "resistence" or "resolution" & it grow only with time)

As you can see we have an "??? branch" ,this because I want put there achievement obtained trough the draw that are not CHR,CPT or ENV...for example if one draw an amazing Apple,what is that? is an ENV?no. Is a Character? no. Is a Concept? no.
    So how could I call this field that take all the other draw?? I was calling this "SKT(sketch)" but probably the name is not apropriate,I am looking for a name that is appropriate but is also cool like the others! (so calling the branch "RANDOM" can't work...)) go with suggestion guys xD

3)Eeach branch have 15 achievments & each one of that give you a "Title" display on the main menu near the avatar of your character,so 15 titles for branch,for example the 13th Title of Concept branch could be "Well of Ideas" & those title became more epic at each level,problem is,my english is not so good,I know only standard words so I can't express inspired & original titles with my english knowledge,so I think I have to put down the list in italian then find someone to translate with the most "fitting" english words,so if you want help me suggesting some titles(or them all) feel free to do it!

4) it is animated,see the gray line that connect the circle? I want put in there a colored progress bar that grow in real time to show you where you are between an achievment & the other
    Probably the first real Drawing RPG

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Hmmmm....really excellent idea imo. I think you've put a lot of thought into this and I hope you can see it become a reality. Here are a few thoughts...

I like barefoot's idea of different levels of rendering having different experience points. Don't like the idea though of different kinds of drawings being different levels.

Maybe people could specialize in a "class", or even multi-classed characters - like you do in an RPG: concept artist, environment artist, character, creature, industrial design/vehicle, etc.? Then again, maybe that is all under the class of "Conceptor", and those are the various kinds of things one might encounter in their adventure and leave it at that.

One important thing I would add would be a "Foundation" level (.FND?). Maybe this would be like a training level where you had to gain experience with fundamentals like perspective, value, form, gesture, anatomy, etc. before beginning your quest.

Anyway, I think you're on to something that would be a lot of fun and has a lot of potential. For more ideas I would look at Jim Gurney's book, "Imaginitive Realism" as it does a great job breaking down the process and steps that go into doing imaginitive work - might spark some ideas.

Another book I would recommend, and you may be familiar with since it has a similar theme. is "Fantasy Genesis" by Chuck Lukacs.

Of course the real drawback is going to be there is no way to determine whether someone did well enough on a challenge or quest to actually earn the exp. But it still provides a fun structure to keep people motivated. One way I could see it working well is for a teacher or mentor to use such a system for either an individual or even a small class of students.

Anyway, best of luck with it - keep us posted for sure!
    it would have to be a trust thing, you can enter what you like, but really, you'd only be cheating yourself.

Thanks
    little up,as you can see here ----> http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/11590

I have decided to "DWG"(drawings),that would be a global parameter that show the ammount of drawings done,because of the exp is given by the quality of the render,a guy could do only perfect works & have a low DWG but high Level,another guy could do 10.000 sketch so he have High DWG & lower level
    The level also determine the color of the graph,it start with cold colors but as the person became stronger the colors of it start to burn,to show the strenght of the player
    Everything you see is a placeholder/w.i.p. that I use while programming it to have a visual of what I am doing,so take it with the "pincers",the final resoult would be totally different
    Last edited by Marcus Aseth; March 16th, 2012 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks
    I agree with everyone, this is a brilliant idea! I can see how the positive feedback through the 'leveling' system would be a motivator for many types of people.

Keep us posted! I'd be interested in playing a demo.

Thanks
    This is Brilliant!!! make it happen man!
    -We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    yes... this sounds very new and could turn into something fun and useful... not much to suggest for now as the ideas put forward at the moment are enough to work on... but I'm looking forward to seeing how you fair out with this!!

James