Art: Help me with Pastels. Please.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

jetpack42 is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help me with Pastels. Please.

Can anyone give me a little advice with these? Some lady gave them to me recently. Do I just need to use them like painting (I have no idea how to paint) and try and use the strokes to follow and enhance the form? I don't have a clue what I'm doing, or if these pastels are even any good or worth my time. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those look like some hard pastels. I'm not sure, but they look similar to NuPastels, which are also smallish square sticks like that. Generaly those are used in the early stages for roughing in colors, and then you follow up with softer pastels... the reason being that the soft ones alone will build up too thick real quick and you can't get any more to stick, but they'll still go down nicely over the hard ones.

But, they're still a great medium in themselves... you can use any technique you want with them. Just play around, put a few colors down and do some blending with a crumpled paper towel or a stump or something. It's really amazing what they can do. I like to use pastels on colored paper (get some good rough stuff... it holds the pastel better) or sometimes I start by toning it myself with one of the pastels or a couple of them layered in a hatching style and blended.

...Hey, lookit that! I'm a myrmidon!

...WTF is a myrmidon?

Have fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Myrmidon

Darkstrider: ...Hey, lookit that! I'm a myrmidon! WTF is a myrmidon?
    I was wondering too what is myrmidon, and yes it actually is a real word... something out of Greek mythology

Here you have the explanation:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=myrmidon

Painting is like a box of chocolates, you never now what you'll gonna get...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ht=hard+pastel

This guy works in hard pastels and posted a few notes on how he uses them here. That's all I could suggest though, I've not done much in the way of pastel work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh... thanx Goldi.

Yeah, I didn't like being a Myrmidon already just from the sound of it, but now I want to hurry up and metamorph into whatever is next! Anbd to make matters worse, it even conjures up associations with the upcoming movie that looks like a godawful LOTR ripoff.

Big Dave, wow... thanks for the link. Great stuff!

Last edited by Darkstrider; May 25th, 2004 at 07:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, if you're new to pastels, start off with two complimentary colors only. Get comfortable mixing just those two and seeing how they neutralize each other, and you'll learn that you can communicate just about anything with only those two colors. If you want, you can expand to two versions of each color. For example, use a warm yellow, a cool yellow, a warm purple, and a cool purple.

If you're new to color in general, don't start off thinking of things in colors. Just look at whether or not something is light or dark, and then use a light or dark color to communicate that. If you begin only trying to 'match' the colors you see, you'll end up sacfricing the form, and it won't look right.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.