C.O.W. #252. Winged Megamouth - WIPs Thread - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys and gals, this is my first post ever so why not make it a COW!

Crits are very welcome, they're pretty much why I'm here

(accidentally put "CHOW" on the wip...whoops)
    C.O.W. #252. Winged Megamouth - WIPs Thread[/IMG]

Last edited by PurplerNurpler; March 17th, 2012 at 01:56 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh boy oh boy oh boy I love flying creatures!

Here's a flying behemoth thing that can open up its whole body and swallow a zeppelin in one gulp.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ian Mack says [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][] >

Obligatory Andrew Loomis Link

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIP. Let's see if I can do this justice. Great topic! Excellent work everyone so far.

Bara, I wanted to quit after I saw yours but decided to give it a go anyway. I really like what you've done. Contrary to what Tchuk said, I actually prefer the creatures left wing better than the right. It seems to fit him better. But right now they do look like 2 different styles of wings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A great deal of promising wips already!
    Mhugo those sketches are so inspiring, either one would do for a final piece, but the manta one is looking extra rad.

New approach this time.

Name:  Megabird.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  203.0 KB

6. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Edward B For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am totally going to try this, I need to!

This is not what my final will look like, this is a final concept of the creature (I wanted to get an idea of how the exoskeleton would work before placing it in a more dynamic pose) I had a vision of a bug like creature with a trawler net style mouth, I have tried to make it anatomically possible, even with the ability to launch itself from the ground with a pair of giant grasshopper like legs, I really hope i can get the picture completed.

C.O.W. #252. Winged Megamouth - WIPs Thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really interesting designs so far guys liking how this one is coming along.

Crits:

Pixel Tuner: Nice painting job Pizel, especially on the wings you definitely get the feel of a thin membrane working there.

RayTwicket: Nice work on the mouth an body Ray, now we've got creatures swinging more towards more traditional-like monsters and it's refreshing The wings however feel a bit weak compared to the body, and don't give the feeling of them being merged well with the frame, perhaps it's just because they're concepts and not designs so far but see if you can get some lift behind the wings on the creature large enough to pick it off the ground

Physicalpariah: Nice eyes on the creature, however it looks as though you're viewing the head from a lower angle than the eyes would suggest, perhaps moving them up slightly with a brow and cheek bones to really make them feel like part of the head. Also the body seems really top heavy, I'd suggest with a head like that perhaps add a counteractive weight to the tail to keep him balanced. And the wings seem really wrong to me, sorry to say it but they feel like they've broken midflight. Have a look at my post above critiquing Pixels work with the link towards bats wings. Notice how the bones and skin work to get some air velocity behind it, a bats wing would never bend that way unfortunately.

PurplerNurpler: The main thing that stands out to me here is how different each eye is for this creature, it's right eye is huge comparitively. And is this a creature similar to the Megamouth Shark that filters food once it's in it's mouth or does it bite and chew as the two fangs at the front would suggest; if the former I'd look into the megamouth sharks mouth, perhaps enlarge your own to accomodate that kind of feeding, if the latter I'd say look at Pixels link on the first page, very, very useful for working mouth designs, yours definitely reminsd me of a shark I have to say

Calireayn: I like the idea of a creature that can open up it's body midsection to work as a mouth, reminds me of old sci-fi series in the 80's The wings need more lift though, perhaps a membrane going from the tips down the majority of it's body would work?

ToddBushman: The things that stand out ot me on this would have to be the tail and the wings; the wings feel like they've got no support and it's like they've been stuck on, I'd suggest researching wing types and how the muscles and bones work spefically around the joints. Also the tail feels tertiary, it looks like a fishes tail, and fish use them to propel themselves and guide them through the water, it wouldn't work on wind though there's not enough force to push a beast that size on air. I'd say look into birds tails, they're usually very simple and used for guidance which is the feel I think you're trying to get across. But I do like the mouth on this beast, no way I'd want to be near that

Edward B: And this I just love, taking it away from the birds and fish that most people have gone for and creating something as weird and as creepy as that bugger, looking forward to seeing more.

Rishima: I must admit yours has taken me back a bit, after looking carefully at it though and at some of your other work if you can colour this as beautifully as your other stuff I think we might have a gem here, just remember it has to be portrayed with it's mouth open though.

Hope I helped anyway guys

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It flails and abominates.

Will give feedback when I'm not so tired.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snarfevs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished the concept of the creature

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi again folks, nice topic btw, I always imagine there is some creature bigger than an airbus flying above my house, well maybe I'm gonna give a shot..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No so much a crit, but to everyone whom it may concern.
    There's a HUGE difference in soaring through the sky and "soaring" through water.
    Alot of the concepts are good but looks more like water creatures.
    Look at wingspan, dynamics of flight, something that flies is light, "my creature is buff!" well give it some nice large wings!

Remember the difference between wings and fins

Gotto get of my ass and do something for this COW

Best, wishes and happy St Patricks Day

Arvid

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Abee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Updated wing and tail based on the feedback so far. Please let me know if this is going in the right direction. I appreciate all the comments. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Concept wip

Name:  batthing.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  95.5 KB

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GammaGrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welp, there goes that contest Someone give Edward B the win and let's get on to next week's prompt.

Thanks for the feedback Tchuk

Ian Mack says [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][] >

Obligatory Andrew Loomis Link

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Calireayn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice attitude

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 649 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    holy Edward! Really nice step from your usual designs, has a really neat personality this time around. The piece has a nice creepiness to it as well with the headlights in the background and everything, although the pose it kinda funky like he's doing the twist or something!

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow Edward, I didn't see that last night but awesome, I love the mood!

Tchuk, thanks I appreciate the feedback! I am sure Edward has this one.
    Snarfevs- awesome I love the mouth, its great, but the wings seem a little off in perspective?
    ChaosTheory- love it
    iamdio- awesome but how are the fins/wings going to work? is it a glider?
    Toddbushman- maybe a little more muscle near the shoulder would work too, it looks a little flat, almost flimsy?
    Gammagrey- I am having a hard time seeing the form, but with the way you do art I am sure its going to look awesome when it takes shape.

ok here is how far I have gotten now - now gone to the actual profile shot of the beast. I think the perspective is still a little off so I will need to fiddle about with it..

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rishima For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am loving all the art here!
    I have changed the design of my creature, and i like it better now. My creature is not that huge, and it hunts big fish. So i tried to make it so that it can dive and swim under water, since it dives down to catch fish. This is still very much a wip.

And i will give crits after i've slept..goodnight.

Any critique is very welcome! I am here to learn! Thank you!
    If you are interested please take a look:
    My website!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am loving all the art here!

I have changed the design of my creature and i like it more now. I wanted to make it so that it could dive down under water if needed because it hunts fish. So now it can swim under water for a little while. This is still very much a wip.

I will give crits after i've slept...goodnight.

My website!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Tchuk

Thanks for the crits mate! I'll rework the wings, tbh I wasn't truly happy with them anyway.

And somewhere along the line, she came down with a serious case of dead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sketch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP Grey scale

WOW! As always, amazing art work all around! I'm having a great time watching everyone. Had to get in on this one as well, fun stuff! Please let me know what you think would help.

Adam Vehige aka VegasMike
    Check out my gallery!:http://vegasmike.deviantart.com/gallery/

31. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to VegasMike For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another WiP

Looking great everyone!!

And somewhere along the line, she came down with a serious case of dead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am loving all the designs. It's so much fun to see how awesome everyones imagination is.

I have changed my design and i like it more now. I also tried to make it so that my creature can dive into water since it hunts bigger fish. And i have been trying to keep in mind the "functioning wings", but let me know what you think.

Rishima i really like the design and the anatomy sketch. That's very cool.

Because i'm new at this i don't feel that i can start giving crits until my next challange =D.

My website!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy tits. There are some crazy designs this round. Man I love this weekly activity. So far I like Edward B, Rishima, and VegasMike's entries the most for the following reasons:

Edward B definitely has a great atmosphere going in his entry. The whole picture is just incredibly cool and creepy with the fog, spidery tree branches and distant headlights. The only thing I have a problem with right now is the pose which is cool, but does not necessarily help us discern the design of the creature. I am not sure whether this creature lives primarily on land or in the air, and while it has wings, they look almost too papery and flimsy to hold up a creature of that size. Also, the teeth look awesome, but they are specifically herbivore teeth and not carnivore teeth (which is fine if that's what you're going for). Nice work so far. I can't wait to see the final version.

Rishima As far as the actual look and design of the creature goes, yours is my favorite so far. I love how you took an insectoid approach and gave tons of thought into how the creature functions and moves. It really fits the theme of the week and takes a unique spin on it that would (to the moment) have me voting for you. My only crit is that I would like to see the legs in more action. If there's any way you can put the pose of this creature halfway between jumping and actual flight I think it would work even better.

VegasMike Man, your grayscale drawings always blow my socks off. I might have to take a leaf out of your book next time I participate. Yours is currently the best compositional-wise, and I would challenge other people to be as dramatic and dynamic in their poses as well. The only thing I would say is that right now the shape of the two front wings aren't well-enough defined for my liking, but this is easily fixed. By the way, NICE work on the musculature. Something almost everyone forgets is the sheer amount of power needed for flight - especially with a creature this large. I really get the sense that this creature is a power flier. Awesome job as always, man.

I will give more crits when the finals are up. Nice work people!

Last edited by aburnier; March 18th, 2012 at 05:20 PM.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aburnier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketch

Hi all!! Here is my concept sketch. This creature keeps its mouth open to catch all kinds of air animals. Its gular pouch lets store a great deal of preys and make its hunting much longer. It also has multiple frog-like tongues which helps to trap rebel animals.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Megamouth W.I.P

Updating my W.I.P . . .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tchuk yup, the wings are giving me a bit of trouble and I did just want to throw a WIP to meet the rules, I'm hoping to work the wings out, good crit, I just want to start adding colour to this thing... looking forward to see how you approach yours it's looking pretty bad ass so far.

I only have an hour to try to pick at this thing so no more crits from me right now, but there is some seriously good ideas going on in here, this round looks like it should be a good one.

To the people calling out winners already I hope you don't use it as an excuse not to finish you piece, they're really good yes, probably better at this than you and I but we're not going to progress at all by throwing in the towel when we see something that is better than ours and where else are you going to get the chance to work alongside some of the talent here?

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RayTwicket For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ^this. You're not here to win, but to learn.

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know this has been discussed many many times before but I think that it's ESPECIALLY important on a topic about flying creatures. And that is, It's extremely hard to fly.
    There's always many distinct visible features when it comes to flying animals, due to that, one can see if it seems plausible or not (Won't touch insects due to their freakish nature and incredibly light weight haha!) so look at existing animals/insects, why does it LOOK like they can fly? Credibility!

Because I really like alot of the concepts! But still: Keep in mind your creatures possible flight-dynamics, it still looks like some of the creatures wouldn't be able to fly due to, small wings, or too much of a bulky body.

I think people should refrain from calling out winners in the W.I.P-thread alltogether, as RayTwicket said, it's easy to get discouraged to even participate if people are calling favorites before everyone's finished.
    Just my take on it.

Best of luck,
    Arvid (Mr.Buzzkill :'( )

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Abee For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1