Mass effect 3

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mass effect 3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mass effect 3

So, like I always so when I'm considering the purchase of a new game, I played Mass effect 3 at a friends house to try it out before buying it.
    And I must say, it is an overwhelmingly average game.
    Here's my opinion on it:
    - Weapons:
    The guns are very same-y and without character. The Melee is awful in that you can either hit your opponent ineffectively* with the but of your gun, or use a heavy attack by holding circle (or equivalent) which takes forever and makes your character use the singularly least imaginative melee weapon of all time: a glowing hologram knife. (Its attached to your arm, that makes it cool though, right?)
    - Characters:
    The characters are pretty flat, pretty unlikable, and cookie cut. Commander Shepard (whether you are male or female) is determined and stony. You have some giant fish thing who is the big 'likeable' tank guy who I assume would shout "woooh, baby!" while shooting any gun larger than the average assault rifle.
    You have the one who makes jokes (who needs a personality when they make jokes and come up with one liners?) and says things like "where can I get one of those?" when the fish guy shoots a big gun. I think he'd probably be good with the laydeez if there were scenes like that in the game.
    Then you get the rest of the characters: The old flame, the five-star general figure who says things like "Now go get your girl! And that's an order!", just a whole bunch of people you could swear were in every other mediocre game you've played in the last five years.
    - Animation:
    One of the most important (and I assume the hardest to do) things in a big game like this is face animation and body language, Mass effect 3 has done this so terribly, I cant even begin to explain how much it takes away from the entire experience. The cutscenes are WAY too long (the longest was over five minutes) and a little too frequent for my liking. Its not like games of yore where people used to turn on the spot without moving their feet, its just that everyone is very obviously animated, every action seems scripted, every expression is over acted, its just. So. Bad.
    Graphics wise its pretty decent.
    - Overall gameplay:
    Overall, the gameplay is passable, the controls are a little clunky and its difficult to roll in and out of cover in the direction you want, but those are my only gripes, its relatively smooth and the engine seems decent. Although despite my turning on the tips option, I found it tricky to navigate my way around the levels, and a good in-game sense of direction is something I'm normally quite good on. The mechanics aren't so passable though, to select different types of rounds/moves etc, you have to go into some unexplained menu with just a few symbols to navigate by. The whole thing is too complicated for a shooter, I don't like tapping/double tapping/holding a button to do a whole bunch of different things, just make it more simple, EA. EDIT: oh yeah, and the character you play as (Shepard) really just gets in your way. I like 3rd person shooters, and this is a problem that needs to be tackled, why can other people do nice 'over-the-shoulder" gameplay, yet Mass effect 3 cant?
    - Art design:
    The design in Mass effect 3 is great, the guns, the armour, the baddies, the other alien races are all pretty imaginative (apart from that holo-blade thing), the scenery is nice, and everything feels like its supposed to be in the game, Eg: everything seems to be from the same genre (apart from that holo-blade thing).
    Like most of the time, the trailer (which was super-realistic and really atmospheric) hyped the game too much and everyone is making a really big deal over nothing new.
    I've never played the other two, so forgive me if my analysis of the characters is a little off, as I've only played for a few hours (more than enough time to get a feel for a game in my experience, especially when you are aquatinted with the genre).

*If the the lack of any "oh no! I've been hit" animation is anything to go by.

Anyone else found themselves mightily disappointed by a game/movie? if so, share your experience!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Deus Ex. It's boring the crap out of me.

Sneak-sneak-sneak-DIE. Sneak-sneak-sneak-DIE. Sneak-sneak-oh, okay, I'll save this time. Sneak-sneak-DIE. Sneak-sneak-sneak-DIE.

I've given up on it for now.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You don't have to sneak ^^^
    that might be your problem

-Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Demo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I've taken to holing up in the ventilation shafts and killing everybody, but there's still substantial obligatory sneaking involved. And not much 'mo.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess there is quite a bit of sneaking that's how I always play these things so I guess I wouldn't know how the other play types match up, I never tried any of the heavier weapons I assumed It would be easier to run and gun/ what not. Anyways I enjoyed it yeah it was a bit frustrating but still

-Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Did the OP play any of the other Mass Effects?
    Because that's kind of the "sell" of that series. The reason people love it so much (myself included) is because it's got a lore as deep (as in tiny, minute details included) as Star wars, and your character's decisions and looks carry over to the next game.

To start the franchise at the 3rd installment is actually just like watching the 3rd movie of a trilogy and wondering why you didn't "get" it.

Not saying your opinion is invalid...in fact Mass effect 3 is getting RAILED by fans at the moment for having an incredibly disappointing ending. But that is beside the point.

Although, if you didn't like the 3rd, you wouldn't like the 1st or 2nd either...I'm just saying that you don't have the "connection" that fans of the game have because they've played 2 previous ones. That, to me, is missing out on a serious piece of the puzzle to enjoy Mass effect 3.

As for me?
    The Gears of War games. I have tried the first two and they just don't appeal to me in the least bit. They basically equate to:

1) Roll/Sprint to next cover.
    2) Peak over the top of your cube-shaped piece of rubble.
    3) Fire your weapon. If someone gets close, chainsaw them.
    4) ZOMG "EPIC" MOMENT!
    5) Repeat.

Sorry. These thick-necks are weak.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Because that's kind of the "sell" of that series. The reason people love it so much (myself included) is because it's got a lore as deep (as in tiny, minute details included) as Star wars, and your character's decisions and looks carry over to the next game.
    Yep. Mass Effect 2 is still my most favoritest game of all time. In large part because of the awesome characters. (Mordin fans represent! )

As for your first question:

I've never played the other two, so forgive me if my analysis of the characters is a little off, as I've only played for a few hours (more than enough time to get a feel for a game in my experience, especially when you are aquatinted with the genre).
    I do recommend playing ME2 at least. Yeah, the story is a little odd (it worked for me personally, but you have to make some pretty stupid choices to keep me from enjoying a plot, so that statement should be taken with a block of salt . . .) but damn are the characters good.

And oh god I hated AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity even though I got it on friend recommendation. That game tries WAY to hard to be punk/hipster. It sounds like how Chuck Palahniuk would sound if he didn't know how to fucking write.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The way I understand it, the difference between Mass Effect and ME3 is similar to Fallout and FO3. But to say that fans are railing against ME3 is an understatement. There has been an internet-wide shitstorm over multiple aspects of the game. From the story, the endings, the characters, the dating simulation, and the release-day DLC. I actually can't believe there hasn't been a thread about it here yet since it's quite relevant to the industry.

But I enjoyed both Fallout and 3. Though I have a hard time going back to 3 after playing NV. FO3 disappoints me in retrospect.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I know the OP has mentioned it, but the characters that are supposed to be human creep me the hell out. They just look like creepy animatronics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I know the OP has mentioned it, but the characters that are supposed to be human creep me the hell out. They just look like creepy animatronics.
    Yahtzee calls it "Bioware face."

ME3 has a particularly bad case of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Normal maps + bad shading terms + stiff animation. It really does look like someone took a picture of a person and stretched it over a mesh.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's forbes article on the uproar on the Mass Effect 3 ending. That some might be interested in. I'm a fan of mass effect 2, but holding off for a used copy of Mass Effect 3.

A lot of fans are urked on MS3 that Bioware egged players into thinking on how their decisions would effect out come of the game's ending...when it really doesn't. I read it was like a one size fit's all bad ending. Regardless of your skill, decisions, or crew you selected. It was like if Bioware trolled their gamers a bit.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...r-entitlement/

Last edited by Pigeonkill; March 15th, 2012 at 12:36 AM.
    Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's one of the things that stirred up the hornets nest:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/the...ement-6350732/

And the posts/twitters of Bioware employees acting like asses have been erased. Yellow Journalism among gaming review sites hasn't really helped anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    gta5 is going to be awesome

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    Hope so, or this year(beside Bioshock) will suck

I am also disappointed in ME3, almost all things OP mentioned.

Milk it Bioware, milk it

M

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Remember in mass effect when you had like... loot? Like an actual choice in what you and your squadmates used and wore? And you could actually y'know, explore things on a planet, like a good 4km square area in a buggy instead of a single linear, short dungeon encounter? Where you could talk to your team mates in the normandy whenever you wanted to? When there wasn't any glaringly obvious fanservice such as magical wedgies and robots with tits? Where you had a ton of skills some that were non-combat related, creating a great choice (there's that word again) whether you or your squadmates would sacrifice some firepower for persuasion or lockpicking? or choosing different armor classes (different armor CLASSES? Hell, different armor?) remember good pacing around 3 large story missions with side-missions as little satellites instead of laundry list of fetch quests (fetch people, fetch their loyalty, or fetch items) that are all the same length?

Remember mining while actually on a planet's surface.... but then finding a weird orb out in the middle of nowhere that reacts with an amulet you received from a grateful alien that gives you a well-written vision of you experiencing the life of a neanderthal on earth that the ancient protheans put a mind-chip into in order to study early humans? AND you were never pointed to that through a quest, you just FOUND it?

Yeah, play mass effect one. EA's taint hadn't reached it yet.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ive never played mass effect but i thought it looked pretty cool

its wierd how the reviews all love it but the fanboys dont.. (press score 10, gamer scroe 6.1 seems typical)
    the guardian, 5/5
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...=ILCNETTXT3487

the telegraph 4.5/5
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-3-review.html

IGN 9.5
    http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/objects/142/14235014.html

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; March 15th, 2012 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a great little quote by the lead designer (I think?) for ME3 where he says how the ending for the game will be complex and dependent upon the player's decisions, and it won't be just an A, B, or C ending.

You get to the end, and what do you see? A damn A, B, C or ending. Hey, it's even color-coded! I've gotten to listen to my friend rail about this for a few days now.

Most recent game in my mind that's starting to be a disappointment: Skyward Sword. I don't think it's necessarily any dumber than previous Zelda games, but all the flaws and repetition feels more...obvious? this time around. I started the game a bit bored, then got into it, and now I'm beginning to get frustrated by how much it assumes the player is an idiot.

The Assassin's Creed series is a bit better for me, but that's a love/hate relationship - I really enjoy the game mechanics and how it plays, but geez I hate the overall story and could not give two shits about it.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gorgonzola For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following

its wierd how the reviews all love it but the fanboys dont.. (press score 10, gamer scroe 6.1 seems typical)
    the guardian, 5/5
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...=ILCNETTXT3487

the telegraph 4.5/5
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-3-review.html

IGN 9.5
    http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/objects/142/14235014.html

Could be that they're not reviewing it in the context of a series as a whole, or that the gamers who bought this realized it was far away from where the series started. It started as an rpg exploration-shooter hybrid and now it's firmly in shooter territory. IGN also doesn't like any game that isn't polished. They'll look over bad mechanics if it's pretty, and slam a game for not being easy on the eyes despite it being a breath of fresh air with good mechanics. The reviews are also forced to be a bit more forgiving and less black and white since... well, game companies have pulled advertising and support from reviewers in the past for bad reviews.

lastly, the gamers are mad at mismanagement. Day one on-disk dlc, bad writing (robot with tits, remember) and from what I hear, a bad enough ending to have everyone up in arms. The writer of the original mass effect was not on this project and it apparently shows. The reviewers think that the visuals and action-movie combat makes up for the lack of choice, the increasingly offensive fanservice and the loss of many rpg elements, the fans don't.

No one should put much stock into reviews, though.

EDIT: ^ Gorg thanks for mentioning assassins creed. very disappointed in that. i played it for a few hours, realized how repetitive and linear it is (compare it to the more open hitman series) and stopped playing.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    games are becoming more and more dumber(boring, shit, fuck, crap, lazy....)
    Oh and all those ING's, Game spot's etc. will give you good score if you grease them a little bit, imo

M

25. The Following User Says Thank You to meth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first assassin's creed game does not play well - it's sad that's a game, since it feels much more like a tech demo. "here's some gameplay ideas we developed that feel pretty fun, and we just threw a bunch of superfluous stuff around it."

The second one is much, much more improved, but the overall story they've got going on...eeeurugh. That justifies every single time I've skipped through dialogue.

Favorite game I've played recently though, and it's not even out of alpha? Kerbal Space Program.

There's nothing more hilarious than trying to get a giant flaming tower of rocket fuel to break into low orbit, only for everything to rip apart at the last second. I should be glad I never pursued a job at NASA if this is any indication.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

To start the franchise at the 3rd installment is actually just like watching the 3rd movie of a trilogy and wondering why you didn't "get" it.

Not saying your opinion is invalid...in fact Mass effect 3 is getting RAILED by fans at the moment for having an incredibly disappointing ending. But that is beside the point.

Although, if you didn't like the 3rd, you wouldn't like the 1st or 2nd either...I'm just saying that you don't have the "connection" that fans of the game have because they've played 2 previous ones. That, to me, is missing out on a serious piece of the puzzle to enjoy Mass effect 3.
    I get that.
    As for me?
    The Gears of War games. I have tried the first two and they just don't appeal to me in the least bit. They basically equate to:

1) Roll/Sprint to next cover.
    2) Peak over the top of your cube-shaped piece of rubble.
    3) Fire your weapon. If someone gets close, chainsaw them.
    4) ZOMG "EPIC" MOMENT!
    5) Repeat.

Sorry. These thick-necks are weak.
    I partially agree with this, but I quite like games like that, not for the story or anything, it's just nice to go on a big, bloody rampage and take out a good six or seven baddies in a couple of roll-spray-roll-sprays, makes you feel epic.

I haven't played a GTA since III, I'll be getting GTA5 probably, I hope updated graphics are accompanied by all the old cheats (or even some new ones), I'm just not going to enjoy it if I cant fly a tank by shooting the barrel backwards.
    The Assassin's Creed series is a bit better for me, but that's a love/hate relationship - I really enjoy the game mechanics and how it plays, but geez I hate the overall story and could not give two shits about it.
    don't even get me started, I FUCKING LOVE Assassin's creed, I love how throughout the game you are building up to something that seems like it'll be amazing, I love the characters, the combat, the cinematics, the animation, the atmosphere, just every thing about it, I can hardly put the controller down. But the endings are SO fucking cryptic they make me want to pour bleach into the cooling vents at the back of my playstation.
    New one looks great, but if they don't start explaining themselves, I'm gonna flip the fuck out.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following

the guardian, 5/5
    Not as weird as you think. Often companies are bribed to give higher reviews or they won't get review copies of games

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/8717...taking-bribes/

http://kotaku.com/5892903/maybe-vide...-con-men-maybe

Last edited by Arshes Nei; March 15th, 2012 at 03:47 PM.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found this on Kotaku this morning. It's very funny if you've seen the Mass Effect 3 endings. I don't think there's any spoilers in it, so I hope I don't ruin anybody's game.

Mass effect 3

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zx52hg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Mass effect 3

I don't see it.

I tried out the demo. It's not much of a change from the last game...or the first one. Mass Effect SOUNDS like it has good things going for it (an action rpg where you play a military commander teaming up with various alien races from across the galaxy to fight a universe-wide genocidal threat, with multiple endings that pass onto the next installment, that sounds awesome), but whenever I give it a go, the gameplay never appeals to me much.

I can't really put my finger on it, either. I LOVE over the shoulder shooters like (modern) Resident Evil and Dead Space. I LOVE shooter rpgs like Bethesda's Fallout games. But something about Mass Effect feels really lacking.

I wonder how many generations we have until character customization can become precise enough and gives the player enough variables to mess with? It's better than last gen, but there's still a ways to go.

Oh, and another thing. As far as I can tell they never bothered to make an official tabletop rpg out of this series, and yet Bioware made Dragon Age get one. I don't even need to say why that's superfluous.

Last edited by Psychotime; March 16th, 2012 at 02:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mass effect is one of those games where the game play is not amazing but the story is what I play it for .
    For example Half life or Silent hill games the story hooked me in and I didn't even care about the graphics.

Also even if Mass effect three was crappy I would getting it anyways because I love tinkering with the engine

~ Hard work beats wasted talent.

Doing a little soul searching ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "I haven't played a GTA since III, I'll be getting GTA5 probably, I hope updated graphics are accompanied by all the old cheats (or even some new ones), I'm just not going to enjoy it if I cant fly a tank by shooting the barrel backwards."

Cheats are for consoles, till GTA5 comes out you could do worse than getting GTAIV and some mods...

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; March 16th, 2012 at 05:29 AM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by zx52hg View Post
    I found this on Kotaku this morning. It's very funny if you've seen the Mass Effect 3 endings. I don't think there's any spoilers in it, so I hope I don't ruin anybody's game.

Mass effect 3
    I've said my piece and made my peace with the Mass Effect trilogy. Loved everything up until the ending - and yes, it is a singular ending, NOT endings. But I have to admit, that was a sick, sick burn.

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i hate to join in the chorus, but they should "fix" the ending. everything up until that was top notch, more than once i had to pause cause i was choking up. but the ending was just such a 180° from everything established, it boggles the mind. here's hoping they'll do something (at the VERY least give us a proper epilogue about what happened to our crew mates), cause games of such magnitude deserve a better closure than...that.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.