Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 91 Times in 58 Posts

    Anybody into flight sims?

    As the title suggests, do any of you play flight simulations, or even other kinds of simulations? I got my first computer aged ten just so I could play flight simulations, and I still play them more than a decade on. I mostly started drawing because I liked looking at these cutaways of aircraft and tanks, though I'm disappointed that nowhere seems to teach technical illustration any more. I'm trying to teach myself with books, though. My linework is getting better, but my painting is still shoddy. I picture everything in my head as lines, not values.

    My current favourites at the moment are Janes F18, F15 and Janes Longbow 2, all of which are... rather old. I've tried to collect as many of them as I can, especially with modern aviation and helicopter gunships.


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London, england
    Posts
    885
    Thanks
    320
    Thanked 242 Times in 164 Posts
    I had a game back in the day which came with a virtual reality headset thing (one of those big clunky helmets with screens in the goggles) and a joystick, you had to try and fly a helicopter, it had all these achievements and I remember it was supposed to be as difficult to fly as a real chopper. That's my only experience of flight simulators, apart from flying 'copters and jets in BF3.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    2,187
    Thanks
    4,148
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    My boyfriend has been getting into RC planes and cars and he's been playing alot of RealFlight and I'm getting quite hooked on it too...

    Attachment 1442356


    I like how realistic it is, it means when I stop crashing on the sim I can go and fly the real thing without panicking I'm going to trash it on my first go I'm looking forward to summer so I can get my geek on.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 91 Times in 58 Posts
    Barefoot: Didn't those virtual reality headset things cause people to have severe fits of nausea and headaches? I've heard lots of horror stories, some of them kind of funny, I admit. I actually found the jets and helicopters harder to fly in Battlefield than in simulators, even though they're much more arcade. I think it's partly to do with the map sizes. They seem huge when you're on foot, but in the air it feels very cramped.

    Angel: That looks very cool. I've not heard of that one before. RC aircraft sound very difficult. I've never quite figured out how people fly them so well from just an observation point on the ground.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London, england
    Posts
    885
    Thanks
    320
    Thanked 242 Times in 164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zx52hg View Post
    Barefoot: Didn't those virtual reality headset things cause people to have severe fits of nausea and headaches? I've heard lots of horror stories, some of them kind of funny, I admit. I actually found the jets and helicopters harder to fly in Battlefield than in simulators, even though they're much more arcade. I think it's partly to do with the map sizes. They seem huge when you're on foot, but in the air it feels very cramped.
    choppers in bf2 were hard as fuck to fly, I feel like I've got the hang of jets and hellies in 3 though, not as much as this guy though...

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    2,187
    Thanks
    4,148
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    zx52hg They are really difficult to get your head around at first like when it's coming towards you and you're all 'Aaargh, the controls are backwards which way do I turn? My brain hurts!' that's when I crash it usually

    Check out what people are doing in the pro circuit...I had no idea there was a pro-level in rc flying but this is it...


  9. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    2,902
    Thanks
    3,102
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    This is probably too simple for you aces, but did any of you guys play Sim-Copter?

    Man I loved that game so much. You could actually load your Simcity 2000 cities into it and fly around them, the missions would then be based upon the current needs of your city. (fire, traffic, chasing suspects) the box came with aviation tear drop glasses! (which some asshole swiped from me)

    There was also a built in city levels which you would advance through, on the way saving up and buying more and more choppers. (Hueys could take the most people) you had water cannons, a megaphone...game was macabre too. You had to take wounded people to hospital, if you took too long, their hear-rate beep would start to slow down and they would make these terrible gurgling noises and eventually die. (you would then have to throw their body out) if you had a doctor on board your chances of keeping them alive were far greater.

    To be honest, I used to turn all the disasters/incidents off sometimes and just cruise through my city at night listening to the jazz radio station. (The chopper had a couple of "stations")
    Last edited by Mike Tenebrae; March 16th, 2012 at 10:11 AM.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 91 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    This is probably too simple for you aces, but did any of you guys play Sim-Copter?

    Man I loved that game so much. You could actually load your Simcity 2000 cities into it and fly around them, the missions would then be based upon the current needs of your city. (fire, traffic, chasing suspects) the box came with aviation tear drop glasses! (which some asshole swiped from me)

    There was also a built in city levels which you would advance through, on the way saving up and buying more and more choppers. (Hueys could take the most people) you had water cannons, a megaphone...game was macabre too. You had to take wounded people to hospital, if you took too long, their hear-rate beep would start to slow down and they would make these terrible gurgling noises and eventually die. (you would then have to throw their body out) if you had a doctor on board your chances of keeping them alive were far greater.

    To be honest, I used to turn all the disasters/incidents off sometimes and just cruise through my city at night listening to the jazz radio station. (The chopper had a couple of "stations")
    I remember that one, actually. I only ever got a chance to play the demo, but I really liked it. I enjoyed the atmosphere of the city at night time and things. It was definitely a very neat game.

    I'm currently very fixated on carrier aircraft at the moment, so I play a lot of Janes F18, the great Hornet simulation ever. I find the idea of aircraft carriers to be very exciting. I flew a night time mission earlier, but my aircraft wasn't equipped with any nightvision pod, and so when it came to landing on the carriers, I only had the carrier lights and my HUD to guide me.

    I missed the arrester wires on my first touch down and nearly dropped straight into the ocean when I went off the side because I was slow to go to full afterburner. Second time round I caught the wires, though.

    It's too bad you don't get very many modern jet sims these days, or flight sims full stop for that matter. There's like one company I can think of off the top of my head still making study sims.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to zx52hg For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    2,902
    Thanks
    3,102
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    If your city in Simcity 2000 had an army base and you flew over it in SimCopter, an apache attack chopper would be there. Of course, if you got out on chopper and got into the apache, you would leave a good chopper behind. I was a chopper completist, so I would hoof if from my hangar aaaalll the way to the airbase to get that attack chopper. It came in handy for fighting the occasional UFO or gunning down a perp! Could pretend like I was Blue Thunder.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    im into flight sims.. i fly on xplane. i also fly rc planes (far from perfect tho lol) i have an f14 tomcat sitting on my table thats totally brand new ive never flown it cos i dont want it to be scattered all over the park lol.
    ive done a few digital f14 tomcat paintngs this year while i was learning to use my graphics tablet.

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    2,902
    Thanks
    3,102
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeatleJohn View Post
    im into flight sims.. i fly on xplane. i also fly rc planes (far from perfect tho lol) i have an f14 tomcat sitting on my table thats totally brand new ive never flown it cos i dont want it to be scattered all over the park lol.
    ive done a few digital f14 tomcat paintngs this year while i was learning to use my graphics tablet.
    I have an oil painting of an F14 hanging in my house I also assembled a model F14 when I was a kid with my dad.

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    I have an oil painting of an F14 hanging in my house I also assembled a model F14 when I was a kid with my dad.
    awesome the f14 is my fave plane. im new here and only been on here a few days.. when i make a sketchbook ill post my tomcat pics up.

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    Posts
    5,457
    Thanks
    6,453
    Thanked 4,526 Times in 2,458 Posts
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    skype: velocitykendall
    facebook: Alface Killah

Similar Threads

  1. Question regarding tutorial by Aaron Sims
    By Lexidos in forum ART TUTORIALS, ART TIPS & ART TRICKS - ARCHIVE
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 20th, 2010, 08:03 AM
  2. Sims @ Graphics
    By cthomp in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 13th, 2005, 04:00 PM
  3. the sims 2
    By davi in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: November 17th, 2004, 10:22 PM
  4. The Sims 2 - Andrew Jones style
    By davi in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: October 4th, 2004, 12:25 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Designed by The Coldest Water, we build the coldest best water bottles, ice packs and best pillows.