Wannabe artist seeks help, gives cookies

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Wannabe artist seeks help, gives cookies

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so if I've placed it in the wrong area, i apologize

I'm wondering what people would recommend as a starting point towards learning to draw, i'm 22 years old, and a recent graduate of a games computing degree, I've always had a active imagination but never really been able to put what I think, onto paper and have decided that i really want to dedicate my time to drawing.

I'm wondering, what would people suggest as a starting point. My current skill level is pretty much retarded, i can just about manage a stick figure but beyond that i fail pretty damn hard

I know about places like posemaniacs but that seems almost jumping right in at the deep end, and to be honest i don't think i'd do anything more than get completely overwhelmed.

any suggestions of sites, communities, books etc would be really great.

Last thing i'd want to do is buy a "how to draw manga" book or something, i hear starting out at something so cartoony really only hurts your chances of improving, and i really want to be doing mainly realistic sci-fi/fantasy stuff and landscapes

Also, would you recommend starting digital or traditional? does it make much of a difference or is it more important to get fundamental theory right?

EDIT: it said it didn't post so i tried again and it posted twice, wat D: not a great first impression

Last edited by Loli Fulgrim; March 14th, 2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Stupidity :(
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi.
    Welcome to the forum.

First thing you should do is start a thread in the Sketchbook Section. Upload some of your work there even if you don't believe it is very good. That is your starting point. Ask for feedback. Be patient. Keep an open mind. Receive feedback humbly. Update your drawings incorporation feedback that you find useful. Upload the new versions and repeat the process.

If you don't know what to draw next, participate in the contests and activities section. Browse the many threads in different sections and you'll find tutorials, book suggestions and many other helpful topics.

If you edit your duplicate post you may be able to find a button to delete it unless someone has posted a reply in it. You might have to click the "advanced mode" button on the editing page (I'm not sure if you can delete a thread or not but it's worth a look)

-Mike

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PsiBug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did try to delete it and it informed me that i lack the permissions required to do so

Also, i have literally nothing, i have no idea how proportions work etc, nor do i really have a scanner etc to get my stuff onto my PC just yet, even if i were to do something.

What i'm really looking for is like, a starting point, the kind of stuff to draw first off, or books to read, that kind of thing, thanks for your ideas and when i start turning some stuff out i'll definately make a sketchbook!

EDIT: i'll definately take a look for tutorials in the little help section thingy, but from what i saw that was more for specific things, cloths, colors, etc ;O

Last edited by Loli Fulgrim; March 14th, 2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: remembered something.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,984 Times in 2,414 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Start with very simple shapes like apples and oranges and other things you can easily get a hold of and draw from life.
    Here is a good thread for primitive shapes
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223686

Just get some cheap printer paper or a nesprint pad and some cheap pencils and maybe a kneaded eraser and you are all set.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Also check out the reading list: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152626
    Loomis is a good start.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dpaint: i'll get right on that, should i ignore stuff like shading/light sources until I've got the idea down? or is it best to take say, a bowl or something, draw it, then iterate on it adding shading etc untill i've got that perfect? I worry that i'll get bogged down in minutae when it's better to focus on specific mechanics and the other stuff comes in time etc

TinyBird: Thanks for that list! loomis had been recommended to me previously so i'll definately look into trying to find a cheap copy

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There are just tons of decent boks out there for the very beginning level - it almost doesn't matter where you start - just so that you do. "Drawing Essentials" by Deborah Rockman is one of my favorites as it covers observation and fundamentals so well. But, it is also pretty rich and so may seem intimidating to a beginner, on the other hand drawing is not difficult conceptually and it will grow with you so I would still recommend it.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JeffX99: Thanks, i'll check that one out too!, drawing is pretty intimidatin to me if i'm honest, i will have a vision in my head, and no matter how hard i try it never looks the same on paper, and if i try to copy say, a personm or object, the proportions are all wrong, theres no light, no shading etc, thats why i want to take a serious effort towards it. I'm hoping that if i can devote a few hours a day to it each day, after a few years i might see some improvement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Loli Fulgrim View Post
    JeffX99: Thanks, i'll check that one out too!, drawing is pretty intimidatin to me if i'm honest, i will have a vision in my head, and no matter how hard i try it never looks the same on paper, and if i try to copy say, a personm or object, the proportions are all wrong, theres no light, no shading etc, thats why i want to take a serious effort towards it. I'm hoping that if i can devote a few hours a day to it each day, after a few years i might see some improvement
    Everyone feels the same way, trust me.

And you will...just have to work hard at it.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Loli Fulgrim View Post
    drawing is pretty intimidatin to me if i'm honest, i will have a vision in my head, and no matter how hard i try it never looks the same on paper
    I'm gonna say this as though we are best friends and I can be frank without worrying about offending you or stressing you out.

You are young and filled with potential and you are in control of your learning experience. We see many many threads here dealing with the topic of art anxiety or failure to start or mental blocks. Let go of the intimidation and expectations and start moving toward your goal. There is nothing between you and your goal except a little reading and observing and LOTS of practice.

Just pick an object in your room and start drawing. Draw it 5 times fast or 1 time slow or as many times as you want. Fill pages with no expectation of making a finished drawing or a great drawing. Give yourself permission to draw badly without guilt or regret. It's called practice because it's not perfect. (We all do many bad drawings and you'll be surprised how the good ones start to sneak in.) Do not overthink or delay because you want to find the best starting point. Buy large supplies of inexpensive paper. draw a lot. A LOT! Observe, upload, get feedback and draw more. I promise that every bad drawing helps you learn a tiny little bit and some of them help you learn a LOT! Date every thing you draw.

Consider buying reams of copy paper and keep them in inexpensive three ring binders. You can carry them with you (along with a pencil box) virtually anywhere and can remove and replace pages at your whim.

Best friend (Who I don't know at all in real life), move toward your goal. You can do it and there is nothing (except procrastination) in your way.

and here is MindCandyMan's sketch book which never fails to inspire. It show's his journey from beginner to FREAK OF NATURE! Mind Candy Man

-Mike

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PsiBug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JeffX99: Haha yeah, i guess its a matter of getting over a fear of failure but i really want to succeed so i think i will just stick with it and see where it takes me

PsiBug: Wow! you make a lot of really good points, thanks so much for the inspirational advice i'm gonna go out and get some supplies as soon as i get paid and will really crack on i've bookmarked that guys sketchbook, it's incredible! i hope one day to be anywhere near that skilled! Thanks again for your awesome post, i really appreciate everyones help

Last edited by Loli Fulgrim; March 14th, 2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Accidently pressed post D:

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Loli Fulgrim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a journey of another absolute rookie from a few years back, I show this to everyone who tells me they'd love to do what I do but don't ever think they could. All it takes is the ability to know that not every piece you do will be a masterpiece, and how to learn from the ones that aren't, and the ones that turn out well! Not to mention lots of time and practice and self motivation. But the thread might give you some pointers as to where's a good place to start.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870

Edit: Oops! Psibug got there before me (shoulda read the thread!) Here's some other words of wisdom that ring true: The Gap

21. The Following User Says Thank You to zephyri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I recommend The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards. It's all about the basics of beginning to draw what you see.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BickeringDog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    There are just tons of decent boks out there for the very beginning level - it almost doesn't matter where you start - just so that you do. "Drawing Essentials" by Deborah Rockman is one of my favorites as it covers observation and fundamentals so well. But, it is also pretty rich and so may seem intimidating to a beginner, on the other hand drawing is not difficult conceptually and it will grow with you so I would still recommend it.
    Not to hijack the thread but its a toss up between Keys to drawing or Drawing essentials.
    Which one should I get eventually I would get both but I dont feel the need to.

~ Hard work beats wasted talent.

Doing a little soul searching ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You don't have to buy Loomis, it is all up here:

Last edited by Star Eater; March 16th, 2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Link removed, see below. Thanks.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to pixel cheetah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 938 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pixel cheetah View Post
    You don't have to buy Loomis, it is all up here
    Unfortunately no. Loomis books are no longer public domain. This is a quote from the Saveloomis.org site

"Due to a cease-and-desist letter from the current copyright holders of the Loomis books I have been forced to take down all copies of his work from my site."

Which should apply to all sites currently making those books available, unfortunately.

These books are now being published by Titan at a fair price. Saveloomis does provide a link to other public domain art books however.

http://www.drawingbooks.org/

If any of the admin want to step in and update this, I'm all for that! But for now I feel I must make a note of
    current developments.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zephyri: Thanks for the suggestion, as you said, i've already seen the link but it really is great isn't it! a real inspiration Thanks for linking that 'gap' picture, i get the feeling it will definately come in handy

Bickeringdog: I've added that to my reading list too! i think i'm beginning to get a lot of stuff together now

Azuerous: i'd sure like to know too

Pixel cheetah: Thanks for linking the free versions, to be honest i like to have a physical copy in my hands so i likely would have bought it even if those were still free, but i appreciate the effort

Star Eater: Thanks for that link! I think rembrandt study might be a little over my head though I'll definately check those out as and when i have the money too though, thanks so much

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.