Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 748 Posts

Orientalists: Western Artists in Arabia, the Sahara, Persia and India

I'm sure many of you have been looking to get your hands on this book for ages, but have been turned off by the ridiculous prices usually in the several hundred dollar range or more (sometime up to one or two THOUSAND dollars!).

I happened to notice that not only does amazon.ca finally have it in stock (it is always sold out when I check), it is being sold for $55! I ordered my copy immediately, and suggest you guys do the same.

http://www.amazon.ca/Orientalists-We.../dp/0975978306

EDIT: It is no longer up for sale from amazon (except for $700+ for a used copy from another party).
    Last edited by Andrew Sonea; March 21st, 2012 at 12:20 AM.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Weird, if they have it back in stock why doesnt the other amazon's have it also?
    Is it a mistake from amazon.ca?

When do you get it delivered? I have bought this one couple of years ago but with these prices on ebay at the moment I might buy a few more to sell later on.

Thanks
    According to amazon...

Shipping estimate: May 2, 2012 - June 26, 2012
    Delivery estimate: May 4, 2012 - June 29, 2012

I live in Canada though, so if you live somewhere else the shipping/delivery dates may be different. Nyctalgia from the forums ordered a copy for himself when I told him about it, and amazon said it would take 30-40 WEEKS to deliver it (he lives in Norway though). If I remember I'll try to give an update in this thread when (if) I get the book.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks

Thanks
    Ah well... hopefully I still get my copy!
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 626 Posts
Haha finally Andrew! I Hope you get your copy. I traveled through half of Europe to get mine! And it was definitely worth it! (And if you happen to read this, THANKS DCORC for hooking me up with it + saving my ass in england! )

• The Following User Says Thank You to Dile_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 399 Posts
    So why is this book worth so much trouble then?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dile_ View Post
    Haha finally Andrew! I Hope you get your copy. I traveled through half of Europe to get mine! And it was definitely worth it! (And if you happen to read this, THANKS DCORC for hooking me up with it + saving my ass in england! )
    Yeah I'm a bit worried though that it won't come through after I read this:
    http://www.sijun.com/forums/viewtopi...58d09d40fc4de7

Near the bottom of that page there were some people that picked up a copy for cheap off amazon and it turned out to be postponed and not come through...

Quote Originally Posted by Crane
    So why is this book worth so much trouble then?
    It's just supposed to be really amazing in terms of printing and art--a lot of the pictures there are impossible to find elsewhere as well. Overall just a fantastic book that is pretty influential on guys like Jaime Jones and Craig Mullins (or so I have heard).
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Received the following email from Amazon today.

"Hello from Amazon.ca.

We're sorry to report we won't be able to obtain the following item from your order:

Kristian Davies "Orientalists: Western Artists in Arabia, the Sahara, Persia and"

Although we'd expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found it's not available from any of our sources at this time. We realize this is disappointing news to receive, and we apologize for any inconvenience we've caused you.

We've cancelled this item from your order."

Oh well, was too much to hope for I guess.

Thanks
    Boy, my heart skipped a beat when I read the thread title. God damn something damn!

I've been looking to obtain this for over a year. The lowest price I have seen was just over £300 and that was a long while ago. A steal, when you think about it. I decided I wouldn't pay more than £250, and will stick to that. If I recall, it won a "best non-fiction title" somewhere. Someone over at Sijun got in contact with Laynfaroh, the publisher, and was informed there were no plans on a second edition. Shame, but maybe if enough people show interest and contact them?
    "You have a taste for drawing - I trust it will improve." - Melmoth, The Wanderer

Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    what if someone buys it....scans it and uploads it as e-book for free?
    O son of Adam, you are nothing but a few numbered days. When a day goes by, a part of you is gone. (Al-Basri)

Thanks
    Well I have heard from two people now that they have received the email saying the order was cancelled; that being said I haven't yet received one myself. I can keep crossing my fingers I guess :/

Quote Originally Posted by in raincoat View Post
    what if someone buys it....scans it and uploads it as e-book for free?
    Considering that it was published in 2006 and the copyright is still very much in place, I wouldn't recommend this.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    ACR Editions in France has a whole series of books on the Orientalists some of them are still in print. They are in French but they are filled with great images and a few of the volumes are in English. They are large (10x11 inches) 360 pages each, completely in color, hardcover coffee table books on heavy paper for 100Euro's each. They also offer very small paperback pocket editions for half that price. The books are grouped by schools of painting

American Orientalists
    British Orientalists
    German Orientalists
    Spanish Orientalists
    Italian Orientalists
    Women in Orientalist Painting
    The Orientalists

They also have monographs on
    Jean Leon Gerome
    Alexandre Roubtzoff
    Ettienne Dinet
    Jacques Majorelle
    Eugène Fromentin

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    dpaint: Any recommendations out of those books?
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

Thanks
    I have never seen a modern book cost so much. Congratulations on finding one hell of a deal.
    So, it has come to this.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sonea View Post
    dpaint: Any recommendations out of those books?
    Whio do you like in that genre?

If you like Rudolf Ernst and Ludwig Deutsch get the german school of painting book which is Les Orientalists des Ecoles Allemande et Autrichienne It has them and Werner, Bauernfiend, Muller and 65 other artists.

• The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A decade ago I'd been trying to pick up a foreign film from Amazon but they only had a "rental quality" VHS for $100. One day I happened to checked it out and found it for a very affordable $15, and they had it in stock.

It turned out that a standard VHS copy was slated to be released in several months and the entry had been updated early. I don't know the likelihood of this happening here, but it may be worth keeping an eye on this to see if something similar happens.