Pipe dream?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Pipe dream?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pipe dream?

Just wondered if anyone was willing to offer an opinion on this.

Im currently working as a professional 3D artist and have started to become a lot more dedicated to my drawing training. I have realised what I really want to do is concepting and lighting design and colour scripts .. that sort of thing for films.

The problem is I am now 25 and my skill level is considerably low. With dedication (and working a full time job!) is this possible or is it just a wild dream.

I will be starting my 10 week beginner course in life drawing next month which is a start and I am just finishing my course with Scott Eaton on anatomy.

I also plan on doing this foundation course http://www.cgmwmasterclasses.com/2d-...ion-track.html

What do you guys think?

Ps I have obviously seen mindcandyman's awesome thread but its rather a different career path.

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you will need stronger work in your portfolio but you skill level isn't that low. If you work had and take the necessary steps to achieve your goal then of course there is a great chance for success. If you kinda go for it but not really then you may as well just forget about it.

But this is true for everything.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You would not be the first to do it and some of them had much less related jobs/education. Couple years of dedicated work will get you there, just as JJacks said.

On a sidenote you might want to think twice about posting your 2d art on your professional website untill you reach at least semi professional skill level. Right now it just sticks out like a sour thumb and rather devalues your presentation instead of adding value to it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to vapour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JJacks View Post
    I think you will need stronger work in your portfolio
    Well Obviously .. I should be clearer in that what I meant was more like in 3 - 6 years time as a goal (with intense study throughout).

Quote Originally Posted by vapour View Post
    On a sidenote you might want to think twice about posting your 2d art on your professional website untill you reach at least semi professional skill level. Right now it just sticks out like a sour thumb and rather devalues your presentation instead of adding value to it.
    For a second I was really confused about what you were talking about until I realised I had a couple of 2D pieces on my website (embarrassingly) .. that site isn't being used professionally the work is about three years old haha.

My current drawing level is best represented by my CA.org sketchbook

Last edited by Whirly; March 13th, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Here's one of the more classic "Is It Too Late" threads, you might want to read through it... Lots of advice and inspiration:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=180982

Bottom line is that it's never too late. If you're dedicated and put enough time and effort into it, you can learn almost anything. Plus you're not exactly starting from scratch, and some of the knowledge you have from doing 3D work can probably carry over into 2D work.

I think I mentioned it in the thread above, but I'll mention it again because it's a good example:
    At around the age of 60, my Dad went from being barely computer literate to becoming a 3D modeling guru (that's what people in the industry call him now - "the SolidWorks Guru"...) In just a few years he made a complete career switch from being a fine woodworker to being an industrial designer, and he's currently doing quite well in his new career.

And my sister did a complete 360-degree career switch from being a classical musician to being a librarian, after having spent years playing in orchestras. One day she decided she was fed up with the music biz, decided library science was more her thing, dropped everything to pursue a library career, went back to school, got a librarian degree, and just landed a pretty cushy university librarian job.

And one of my best friends has had two completely unrelated careers in music and programming, both pretty successful, and he's now pursuing a third career in food (he's about 60, too...)

So I'd say whatever you want to switch your career to, it can be done.

Last edited by QueenGwenevere; March 13th, 2012 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well Obviously .. I should be clearer in that what I meant was more like in 3 - 6 years time as a goal (with intense study throughout).
    Absolutely nothing is impossible, but the key is in bold.
    Age doesn't mean much in what you can do, but I believe I did read a study that you learn faster when you are younger. So it can take a little longer to do the same as you get older (not that 25 is old, obviously...if it is, I'm fucked).

Realistic expectations, intense study (and not just talking about intense study...actually doing it. Sacrifice some things that you hold dear during this duration), and not worrying about it will let you achieve this goal.

I know what you mean. I am a professional 2d/3d artist in games and I love it as a career, but it's not exactly what I saw myself doing. I'm good at it, but it's time to break it up. So that's why I am starting my freelance career and focusing more on my illustration rather than learning more software.

Everything is a give and take. In order to focus on something, you need to let something else go.

dpaint is online now Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,883 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't get serious about becoming an artist until I was 30 and didn't get fulltime work as one until 35, so anything is possible. If I can do it, anybody can do it.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its probably already annoying. but read art&fear. i'm reading it at the moment when i have the time to read and it is pretty awesome and i think it could really help you.

and btw: i didn't know the phrase "pipe dream" and was actually expecting a thread about designing and carving a pipe...i'm not a smoker but the idea to carve a pipe fascinates me for quite some time now....dunno why.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Whirly,

During my high school years, I really enjoyed drawing. After matriculating at college for studies unrelated to art, I regrettably abandoned those creative pursuits. Now I'm 27 and it was only 4-5 months ago that I began drawing again. Within a 2-3 years I hope to reach a professional level. If I can make it, you can too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow guys thanks. I was actually expecting a different response .. optimism vs getting let down easy/hard.

Brian: Hope you make it! Post a sketchbook so we follow the progress!

cedule: I notice this being mentioned a lot on the forum. Fear certainly seems like a rather strong factor at the moment for me.

dpaint: Bloody hell that's rather inspirational Dpaint, your work rocks.

Dusty: Dunno about you but 25 feels really old to me

QueenGwen: Thanks, going to read through the thread now

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think only people in their 20s consider people in their 20s too old to accomplish new things. I think, at 25, the only thing you're too old for is probably professional athlete and child actor. Statistically, you should change your career quite a few times.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to erinc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've met a traveling nurse where the guy was an accountant, went to IT, to making hand crafted violins to then traveling nurse later.

Careers change.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow guys thanks. I was actually expecting a different response .. optimism vs getting let down easy/hard.
    There's a time and place for everything. Artists generally share similar feelings of fear, frustration, and insecurity. So it's easy to offer advice in that regard.

Now if you were whining about it, I'd probably tell you to man up and put your big person pants on.

But what you are feeling isn't unique at all...and is quite common. You'll be fine if you put the work into it.

Dunno about you but 25 feels really old to me
    Fuck you. :p

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirly View Post

Dusty: Dunno about you but 25 feels really old to me
    I'm 26, and honey, I ain't old. :/

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The finger snap is implied here i believe.

My Sketchbook!This scrub needs your guidance

Very Cool Guys:
    Lakai ---- Whirly

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ixallus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post

I'd probably tell you to man up and put your big person pants on.
    I'm around 5'5" .. if I put big person pants on I would be forever falling over the trailing legs

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah it's definitely doable. I was a pro 3d artist too before i changed to concept art. I started seriously studying at around 21. I would say you really need to bust your butt though since you're already 25 if you want to be in a good place with it by the time you're 30. Less mass effect etc. The foundations course and life drawing are both very good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm 23, and I feel very old. I even feel older than 26 year old people, which seem to be quite young in comparison to me. Strange

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyraina View Post
    I'm 23, and I feel very old. I even feel older than 26 year old people, which seem to be quite young in comparison to me. Strange
    Just don't focus on 'age' so much. "You are old or I am old", while people yet are only in their twenties. This goes for everyone though. Seriously...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    SERIOUSLY. You little twenty-something whippersnappers. If you keep griping about being "too old" I'm going to have to hurt you...

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whats in an age?

I'm thirty five, and after spending most of my adult life messing about in odd jobs and bits and pieces of college art courses trying to figure out what I wanted from life, I've finally knuckled down and started grafting at getting good enough with my art that maybe I can use it to live off one day.

Thats a long way down the road and I'm still on a steep learning curve, have been for about the last two to three years, but I'm getting there and I'm starting to find people are coming to me for my work rather than me chasing them begging to be allowed to illustrate for them. Don't get me wrong, it's all strictly small press right now but who knows? Maybe the better I get the bigger the jobs will get...

I'm also going blind so I've got an added handicap holding me back. But you don't. You're young and healthy (I'll assume that until you say otherwise), and you've clearly got determination so go for it, and good luck!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Candra H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread's turning into a "how old do you feel" thread

I guess the reason why I mentioned age is that I imagined people once they reach their twenties and onwards only really decide to pursue art if they have at least a much better general skill level than I currently do. People who one would generally say "yeah that guy can draw." Im not one of the those (yet)

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    SERIOUSLY. You little twenty-something whippersnappers. If you keep griping about being "too old" I'm going to have to hurt you...
    Yeah, I know you're right. I guess it's just the "looking at 17 year old painting masters" thing that makes me feel like I'm so far behind, studying something non-art-related and honing my skills only in my free time also doesn't make it better.
    It does help reading about people who started out later and still made it, though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I had a pipe dream once. It was like Shawshank Redemption meets Bishop-getting-welded-in from Aliens, but with no open end.

It wasn't very nice.

...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    I had a pipe dream once. It was like Shawshank Redemption meets Bishop-getting-welded-in from Aliens, but with no open end.

It wasn't very nice.
    That's an interesting combo. The guy who plays the jailhouse rapist in Shawshank is also in Aliens.
    He's one of the heavy gunners, he gets his face burnt off in aliens and beaten into a vegetable
    in Shawshank by the Kurgan.

zephyri is offline professional guacamole maker Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I realised at the age of 26 that even though I wasn't bad at art, that I knew diddly squat. So I figured out what I needed to know and taught myself it. It's not easy. But I've been a concept artist for nearly 4 years now, and the slog was worth it. Here's some pictorial inspiration:

http://fav.me/d4me794
    Ne'er a truer word said

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zephyri For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 Times in 3,594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Poetry of Lewis Carroll

YOU ARE OLD, FATHER WILLIAM

You are old, father William," the young man said,
    "And your hair has become very white;
    And yet you incessantly stand on your head --
    Do you think, at your age, it is right?"

"In my youth," father William replied to his son,
    "I feared it would injure the brain;
    But now that I'm perfectly sure I have none,
    Why, I do it again and again."

"You are old," said the youth, "as I mentioned before,
    And have grown most uncommonly fat;
    Yet you turned a back-somersault in at the door --
    Pray, what is the reason of that?"

"In my youth," said the sage, as he shook his grey locks,
    "I kept all my limbs very supple
    By the use of this ointment -- one shilling the box --
    Allow me to sell you a couple."

"You are old," said the youth, "and your jaws are too weak
    For anything tougher than suet;
    Yet you finished the goose, with the bones and the beak --
    Pray, how did you manage to do it?"

"In my youth," said his father, "I took to the law,
    And argued each case with my wife;
    And the muscular strength, which it gave to my jaw,
    Has lasted the rest of my life."

"You are old," said the youth; one would hardly suppose
    That your eye was as steady as ever;
    Yet you balanced an eel on the end of your nose --
    What made you so awfully clever?"

"I have answered three questions, and that is enough,"
    Said his father; "don't give yourself airs!
    Do you think I can listen all day to such stuff?
    Be off, or I'll kick you down stairs!"

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I thought starting art at 16 17ish is late, but now this thread sorta made me feel rather lucky.

To be honest, most people only really have real large improvement about 18 to 20, so yeah, I guess not having any sweet childhood drawing memories is fine(I absolutely hated drawing as a child).

Hmmmmm......Gonna be 20 in like a wekk, weirdly anxious.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.